GC Munton

Hi all, Alan Dunmore is my uncle he is semi retired now but my dad Colin Dunmore and brothers Trevor, Ernie, Henry and Peter Dunmore also worked at muntons my dad started as trailer boy at a young age ! He went up mont blanc with his brothers

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

jj72:

steadymabo:
Alan is still at denby’s should of retired about 2 years ago, did you know colin or derek maplethorpe ■■?

glad to hear he is still going strong, didn’t know any other drivers off there really, they just do a bit of smaller work for us now and again

Alan is semi retired now my dad Colin Dunmore used to drive for muntons too he knew both mablethorpe men

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Im going to rely on JJ to give me some info on this old company. I was chatting with a driver who worked for Muntons when it was sold to P & O. eventually the company was closed and this guy went on to work in Bedford. He told me a few stories about this company :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone else have any old pictures or history?

Work seemed to vary from Rusty Bucyrus to Priestmans in Hull

Wheel Nut:
Im going to rely on JJ to give me some info on this old company. I was chatting with a driver who worked for Muntons when it was sold to P & O. eventually the company was closed and this guy went on to work in Bedford. He told me a few stories about this company :stuck_out_tongue:

yep true pioneers of international work, especially heavy stuff - they did aveling barford and rustons (plant and turbines) stuff all over the place from mid 50s, in such luxury as mickey mouse fodens and even older two stroke FE fodens

60 tonne up into italy before any tunnels were finished in a mm foden :open_mouth: mind you i’ve heard tell fridged freight ran the same sort of weight with their AEC drawbar fridges :wink:

can’t think who that would be who moved to bedford, some of the ex planthaul lads knew most of their drivers, and weren’t too complimentary about them for some reason, which always surprised me

i know upto 2 years ago at least, one of munton’s star men worked for denby’s, alan dunmore is his name, smashing fella

Any old pics of them in the vault jj ?

Trubrit:

only in a book (a road transport heritage by bob tuck - vol 2 i think, some great photos) but as you can see i have never managed to be technical enough to post even one photo on here in 7 years :blush:

anyway we got rid of the scanner 2 weeks ago so even if i was bright enough…

jj72:

Trubrit:

only in a book (a road transport heritage by bob tuck - vol 2 i think, some great photos) but as you can see i have never managed to be technical enough to post even one photo on here in 7 years :blush:

anyway we got rid of the scanner 2 weeks ago so even if i was bright enough…

and yet you were the one who taught me how to send an email in the mid 90’s…how the mighty fall… :wink:

jj72:

Wheel Nut:

yep true pioneers of international work, especially heavy stuff - they did aveling barford and rustons (plant and turbines) stuff all over the place from mid 50s, in such luxury as mickey mouse fodens and even older two stroke FE fodens

60 tonne up into italy before any tunnels were finished in a mm foden :open_mouth: mind you i’ve heard tell fridged freight ran the same sort of weight with their AEC drawbar fridges :wink:

can’t think who that would be who moved to bedford, some of the ex planthaul lads knew most of their drivers, and weren’t too complimentary about them for some reason, which always surprised me

i know upto 2 years ago at least, one of munton’s star men worked for denby’s, alan dunmore is his name, smashing fella

Alan is still at denby’s should of retired about 2 years ago, did you know colin or derek maplethorpe ■■?

There’s a couple of good pictures of Munton - Europa in this months Classic and vintage commercials mag…A Scania 110 (VAY601H) and a Foden (LCT135F) :wink:

lemonmouth:
There’s a couple of good pictures of Munton - Europa in this months Classic and vintage commercials mag…A Scania 110 (VAY601H) and a Foden (LCT135F) :wink:

Yes i have just seen them, will have to show my dad them :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

steadymabo:

glad to hear he is still going strong, didn’t know any other drivers off there really, they just do a bit of smaller work for us now and again

hello every one, i found this site recently and have enjoyed the photo s of old trucks , i just wondered if anyone new my dad, BILL FRANKLIN he drove for G C MUNTON and numerous lincolnshire companies, i of course grew up with trucks jumping in the cab at every opportunity. Dad passed away in 2003 but not before id got my class 1 and he rode shotgun with me. i look forward to hearing from anyone who knew him