GBEs Pegaso Troners

Hi,
Where these all LHDs?
Thanks

No, there were 2 RHD in silver , I think Bournemouth had one and Lichfield the other .

We had two in Lichfield (H474 and 475 EFA iirc) both in GBE livery, one of them 475 was used for a magazine feature not sure if it was Truck magazine. The silver one belonged a subby John McCullough.

Did Lichfield have a LHD in GBE livery?
Also does any one know what was written on the door? Im attempting to do a scale model of one of the Troners.

If you send me a pm with your Email address I will send you a photo of a model of a Troner in GBE livery or if you are on Facebook there are several photos of Troners on there under Ex-GBE. Lichfield had a few in LHD but us at Bournemouth had about 20 of the rubbish, now if we could have had that cab on the Iveco 480,s we had after the Pegasos it would have been good !.

Let me know if this picture helps, might be able to find a few more

thanks, Kerbut send me some shots by e-mail, but any more you have would be great!

That was a Bournemouth one , I had G 844 XBE and after that was accident damaged while I was on holiday it was re cab,d and I think it ended up at R and A freight at West Wellow after that I had G 847 XBE until the Iveco $80,s arrived and I had K581 MOW.

kerbut:
That was a Bournemouth one , I had G 844 XBE and after that was accident damaged while I was on holiday it was re cab,d and I think it ended up at R and A freight at West Wellow after that I had G 847 XBE until the Iveco $80,s arrived and I had K581 MOW.

Hi Kerbut,

You are correct, I brought G844 XBE for one of my drivers Ken ( El Longo) to drive because it was his wish at the time.

Hope you are well

Regards
Richard

Thanks, they are great but any more you may have…
Am I right in thinking the rear was springs, not air?

richellis78:
Thanks, they are great but any more you may have…
Am I right in thinking the rear was springs, not air?

Yes they were on steel ,they also had a very low 5th wheel on them made by a co.in Poole, 2 trailers were lost by the jaws on them "letting go ". I was on a services in Italy and by chance the Italian rep for the company who made the 5th wheels was there with a prospective customer and they asked me what I thought of the 5th wheel ,after telling them what I thought of them after the one I had that let its self go from tight to the cab to fully extended whilst I was travelling ,I doubt if he sold any.

thanks, stuff like that is useful info to help me with the model, I didn’t know it had a sliding 5th wheel!

MaggieD:

kerbut:

Hi Kerbut,

You are correct, I brought G844 XBE for one of my drivers Ken ( El Longo) to drive because it was his wish at the time.

Hope you are well

Regards
Richard

Oh my life :open_mouth: , can you remember those days, when bosses considered what the driver’s thought before buying wagons!!! Nowadays the accountants buy the wagons purely on the bottom line figure :unamused: .

So how many Pegasso troners did gbe actually operate? ,i remember the truck magazine article said they were to replace the whole fleet with them ,i remember there were about 30 odd G reg pegasso ,and i recently bought a picture of H180 KFA but i don’t remember seeing any after H reg ,and GBE bought 21 iveco turbostars that were K565 -585 MOW ,also as an aside was the E REG man drawbar a one off…?

There was a owner driver that ran X2 of them in Bamber Bridge Lancashire, I think is last name was Clayton?

They all but broke him running them on Pandro at the time.

They Cost him so much dam money. Were I was working at the time we have some axles under a E reg 411 Seddon Atkinson and god they were a pain in ■■■ too. In the end we removed them and put under what should of been there, Rockwells :smiley:

Cheers

Welly

Ive got the truck mag with the pegaso article one year in service.GBE and clayton and one other operator had nightmares with the troner.head gaskets clutch mechanisms electricals and head bolts failing.fuel cons also very poor

any chance of getting a scan of that please?

Welly Bobby:
There was a owner driver that ran X2 of them in Bamber Bridge Lancashire, I think is last name was Clayton?

They all but broke him running them on Pandro at the time.

They Cost him so much dam money. Were I was working at the time we have some axles under a E reg 411 Seddon Atkinson and god they were a pain in ■■■ too. In the end we removed them and put under what should of been there, Rockwells :smiley:

Cheers

Welly

The operator was F Clayton & Sons of Whittle-le-Woods. Frank Clayton’s sons used to do traction for Bowker with a 401 and an F12 in the late 80s when I was at Bowker’s Liverpool Depot - I don’t remember them pulling for Pandoro, but they may well have done. Frank himself did domestic coal deliveries with a TK.