GBE ( 80's & 90's )

jim “the lip” is living in aosta. steve gee is working for the rnli delivering flares and safety gear etc.

cant say ive seen many of the other guys around tbh

Some of the Poole guys are still there with Transalliance T/S although I am not so sure of the surnames, We have a couple of lads in the midlands who were also on the original firm.

Poole / Bordeaux drivers still ship Brittany Ferries where the rest of us generally use the train now

Steve McCleod has recently retired.

My son in law was subbing for Transalliance/GB express, and they knocked him for £9 grand, which put him ina position where he had to sell up…

truckyboy:
My son in law was subbing for Transalliance/GB express, and they knocked him for £9 grand, which put him ina position where he had to sell up…

Was that out of Purfleet Bob?

What was the name of the New Zealand guy mid 80’s mad on drumming, used to see him in Zona Franca.

john v is living on a canal boat somewhere in midlands, works on agency , Crick maybe■■?!! Barry H gave me that info! couple weeks ago. brooksy on moulands.

What became of Bob Cox, I think he ran the Fradley depot ?

He died.

And his wife Linda ?

Update

Norman Bonus:
What happened to all the GBE drivers of the 1980’s and 1990’s running out of Lichfield and Bournemouth? I used to have a right old crack with them on the boat from Poole to Cherbourg.I particularly remember John V. and Liam and also Tony Bradfield who was a subbie for them.Had many a good night out at Claudes / Victors / Freds etc etc with that lot. Were GBE bought out or did they just go bust like many other company’s of that time ■■

there is a thread on here somewhere about tony bradfield, not sure where, just have to look.

whoops…just went on the thread and see that you have already posted.

I worked out of Barton Turns and then Fradley 80’s 90’s, not seen any of the lads for years.

I ran over on the old Truckline boats from Poole, did it for about a year running to Zona Franca and beyond.

Used to see a few of the GBE lads, ran down with em as well, always a laugh, but cant remember any names.

Good times.

Hi I am an old Speedfreight European then GBE driver but left and have bettered me self (not hard working for those villans
Steve Taylor

Shame on you all, not a foto between you!

Gazzer
Although that Merc is Dorset registered ,I think it is a Fradly one and that trailer number is not a Bournemouth one. I have plenty of photos from the Speed freight days until the early 90,s , just dont know how to put them on, I am in England for Christmas and will get my son to put them on for me.

Bournemouth registered truck but was sent to Fradley, then reassigned to Pompey workshop as the “MOT” test and yard shunter. hence the “9694-■■” trailer which was Pompey based. Fradley/Bournemouth Kangaroos were “80■■” series but all eventually came under Pompey control.

All of the discarded TransAmerica kangaroos were dehired and shipped to Russia.

If you look at the P&O Ferrymasters thread there is a Pompey workshop refurbished “80■■” series trailer behind an Actros.

had a mec 1317 rigid ex GBE, had it for about 7 years done me well with no problems. E746 NJT. anyone know its history?

Wheel Nut:
Steve McCleod has recently retired.

we have a guy called richard mcleod who works for us and lives salisbury was, wonder if they are related??

dbcooper:
had a mec 1317 rigid ex GBE, had it for about 7 years done me well with no problems. E746 NJT. anyone know its history?

Just found my list of phone numbers for GBE trucks, E746 was kept in Bordeaux doing local collections and deliveries.