GB band required?

Is it a requirement to have either GB on the number plate (if driving UK reg of course) or a sticker on the back? Pretty sure i’ve read somewhere that you don’t need one and so if that is the case has anyone had any problems with this.

Cheers.

If it was a requirement, then numberplates would be printed with it on as standard, whereas it’s an optional extra when you order your reg plates. So yes you are correct, it is not a requirement on a uk plate while in the uk

Saaamon:
Is it a requirement to have either GB on the number plate (if driving UK reg of course) or a sticker on the back? Pretty sure i’ve read somewhere that you don’t need one and so if that is the case has anyone had any problems with this.

Cheers.

I think it is or was a requirement to have one or the other if you’re outside of the UK. I’ve heard of cars getting hassle over this in Germany many years ago but I dont think I’ve heard of a truck receiving any grief over it. Thats not to say they haven’t.

Interesting you mention only cars have had trouble.

Just to clarify I’m talking about whilst driving outside if the UK :unamused:

According to the AA GB signs or plates are compulsory, or at-least were in April 2013.

See here for more information

If you don’t have a GB band in your number plate (on an age appropriate vehicle) you can be given VDRS or whatever it’s called these days.

Of you have something else in it’s place (like a batman symbol as I have on my PV) you can also be given VDRS and have to change the place

Thought it was Compulsory in Calais ?
So the Immigrants know which wagons to target. Lol.

Im sure its the law if driving abroad.
(the story below is not the reason why i think it, its just a story i remember)
A mate of mine i used to work with got stopped (i think in Italy) and they couldnt find anything wrong with tachos, unit, etc, so they walked to the back of the trailer and one of the coppers took the GB sticker off the back, they then fined him for not having one.
I always made a point of having GB sticker on unit and trailer if i was driving GB motor.
When i had my number plates made for my car, they asked me if i wanted the GB bit on it or not, so i think its more of an option over here.
If you notice any foreign lorry or car, you will see they all (or at least 99.9%) of them have their country symbol before the registration.