Gas trucks

There are plans by the Govt to encourage a network of gas filling stations for trucks.

Have you ever driven a gas-powered or dual-fuel truck…and what was it like?

Driven a duel fuel rig before and never found a problem red diesel seems to work just the same as white. As for gas Gas Gas well good old Vlad might just be soon making that pie in the sky.

Hopefully, we’ll shortly be able to tell him to ‘Frac off!’

ATB

Gas Gas

Drove one a few years ago, the company I worked for at the time were testing them against the diesel trucks to compare them. Absolutely gutless, died on any hill you came to, they may have improved since but the ones we had were ■■■■

We had an aftermarket duel fuel kit fitted to our old Euro 3 56plate Actros’s. It worked well on them. So well infact, that the gaffer decided that when the new Euro 5 Renaults arrived, they were all to be fitted with the same kit. It was absolutely useless on the Renaults. Apparently it wasn’t suited to the Euro 5 engines. Kept getting constant emmision faults, two of them neesed new exhaust cat boxes which was blamed on the gas, and the engine oil needed changed twice as frequently. Needless to say, he never even considered fitting it to our new DAFs.

London waste had some derv/gas foden hybrids anyone i know who drove one reconed they were useless

yep, UPS had some mercs leading up to the London Olympics… they went well enough on gas… and i got an extra half hours pay cos it took that long to fill the gas tanks.

the gas will be the same as road fuel now, when most people have gas trucks the tax will go up in line with petrol and diesel. the gas will run out at the same time as oil unless we are going to get it from coal again and re convert all the household gas appliances again.

didnt leyland experiment with a gas turbine truck in the mid seventies ?

Here`s the front cover of the Leyland Gas Turbine Truck leaflet.
I think it was announced at Earls Court Commercial Motor Show , either 1968 or 1970.

There is also a (non-working) Gas Turbine engine on display at the British Commercial Vehicle Museum , Leyland.

I hope this is of help to you.

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

When I was working for Hardstaff, I had a duel fuel Volvo.
I had a small diesel tank and under the trailers were gas tanks.
On the flat or downhill you would not know but up hill forget it. Most of the time I was fully laden with a Moffatt attached.
The company saved an absolute fortune on fuel costs been duel fuel but as some one has said as soon as it becomes popular watch the fuel price hike.

The company I work for used to run Fodens on gas and they where total rubbish.
Part of the conversion included putting on a smaller turbo which meant they had no pulling power and died on hills.
The gas system was so unreliable we just ran them on diesel, unfortunately they had a tiny fuel tank and inacurate fuel guage so they often ran out of diesel.
I once worked for a delivery company and was sent to collect a Scania that was gas powered and had to take it back to the conversion companty as the throttle was like a switch nothing or flat out.

Worked for national grid when they had scabies running on natural gas we could only go up north as Crewe was the only place to fill up
Tricks was crap petrol converted engines Can’t remember much except every one done what they could to avoid them

That was supposed to be scannies but scabies is about right

GasGas:
There are plans by the Govt to encourage a network of gas filling stations for trucks.

Have you ever driven a gas-powered or dual-fuel truck…and what was it like?

The new volvo methane diesel 460 which I drive is duel fuel LNG it’s a volvo production line one not the retro fit it’s far more better than the first duel fuels that where on the fodens and erf it’s pulls as well as a diesel only 460 fm the govement has been pushing gas powered vehicles the last few years with grants for conversions and building gas stations big names have also entered the market which now supply the gas boc flowgas calor so there must be something in it

Some Buses have been running on gas for years, though when I was in the game over heating was a big issue but that was a good few years ago.
I know our FLT’S are derv and gas but I prefer the derv as the torque is a lot better though the gas trucks are modified (at factory petrol engines)
Do gas wagons suffer a lack of torque?
Also gas in a petrol engine has a slightly lower mpg, is this the same for derv engines?
Are the benefits cleaner emission’s and slightly lower running costs, but are the costs reliability and added factory costs?

Happy sole:
The new volvo methane diesel 460 which I drive is duel fuel LNG it’s a volvo production line one not the retro fit it’s far more better

+1, I’ve had a spin in one loaded & didn’t notice any difference in performance, speed limiter had been messed about with though…:frowning:

I worked for the co-op in Alfreton for a while. They had a fleet of Foden alpha’s with dual fuel 345 cat engines.
A regular night trunk was up to Tebay, changeover with a jock, then pull a fridge full of potatoes down to Wakefield.
Coming over the a66 fully freighted I used to get passed by cyclists and hikers pulling hard over stainmore!

I figure that’s the torque issue answered then :laughing: :laughing:

I’m currently sat in a Duel Fuel Volvo, the yard has recently switched the fleet (70+) to these Volvos and installed a £750k filling station. The investment was in the region of £14M Tbh I don’t notice a difference in performance and handling. A 600km run will probably use 40-50kgs of methane 2-3ltrs of adblue and 25-3 ltrs of diesel. I posted a thread about these new trucks a while ago