gas oil

at work we have a central bunded bowser ,to fuel the machines we get some in jerry cans ,and take to the job in the transit ,4-5 cans
just lately we have been on a big job and using quite a bit of diesel so i have had a 45 gallon drum in the van to collect the fuel in
i leave it on the job and only have it in the van when i go to fill it up ,we have warning signs on the van for diesel ,petrol, etc
but how much can i carry legally in the van
cheers graham

You’d do better to post this question in the Dangerous goods advice- UK regs and ADR thread (it’s a sticky thread in this forum), dieseldave is the resident adviser on all things ADR :wink:

Ah silly me ,i will post over there, cheers

Hi d4c24a,

Sorry for any confusion… I spotted your post in the PDF and moved it here, then I’d started preparing my answer, but the phone rang. :frowning:

From the way that your question is written I’m assuming that you don’t have an ADR licence. Am I correct?

Based on my guess, the answer is that you can carry 1,000 liters of diesel fuel. (Also assuming that it won’t overload your van. :wink: )
It doesn’t matter whether the diesel is carried in jerricans or 45 gallon drums, because it’s the total on board the vehicle that counts.
You can carry any number of receptacles, but the total literage of diesel (as cargo) can’t exceed 1,000 liters otherise you’ll be subject to ADR and all that goes with it: ADR licence, orange coloured plates, proper documentation, 2 X fire-extingushers and all applicable PPE and equipment etc.

If you keep to 1,000 liters (or less) then you only need 1 X 2kg compliant dry-powder fire-extinguisher.
The fuel in the vehicle tank DOESN’T count towards the total.
Any empty receptacles DON’T count.

The requirements for the 2kg dry-powder fire-extinguisher are as follows:

1. The extinguisher must be of an approved type ie. the Kite Mark or the CE mark.

2. The extinguisher must be periodically inspected and bear a label / sticker showing the next due date of inspection

3. The extinguisher must be fitted with a seal AND pin

4. The extinguisher must be protected from the effects of the weather.

5. The extinguisher must be easily accessible.

d4c24a:
… we have warning signs on the van for diesel ,petrol, etc

:bulb: Are you carrying BOTH petrol and diesel at the same time?
If so, I can still advise you, but the ‘free’ limits for petrol and diesel are different. If you carry both at the same time, there’s then a calculation to do in order to keep you from the full weight of ADR’s requirements.

This has got me puzzled…
When carrying diesel fuel, you only need 2 X orange coloured plates after you exceed 1,000 liters, but then the rest of ADR would ALSO apply.

I hope that helps. :smiley:

thank you dave , :slight_smile: no i do not have an ADR ,we have a fire extingusher of that size in the van ,that is checked and kept up to date
usualy we have 5 litres of petrol in the yellow explosive proof can ,which i can always take out when i do a diesel run
its usualy one 45 gallon drum in the van and sometimes a couple of jerry cans
cheers graham

d4c24a:
thank you dave , :slight_smile: no i do not have an ADR ,we have a fire extingusher of that size in the van ,that is checked and kept up to date
usualy we have 5 litres of petrol in the yellow explosive proof can ,which i can always take out when i do a diesel run
its usualy one 45 gallon drum in the van and sometimes a couple of jerry cans
cheers graham

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the extra info. :smiley:

If the petrol is ‘spare’ fuel for the van, then it doesn’t count and goes for free!!

You’ve said that the cargo is diesel fuel, so the answer to your question is that you can carry up to and including 1,000 liters in any combination of 45 gallon drums, jerricans or smaller drums, because it’s the TOTAL (not exceeding 1,000 liters for diesel) placed on the vehicle that counts.

Just as a legal point and provided that the 1,000 liter ‘free’ limit is complied with, then NO vehicle markings are required for what you’re carrying.