Gas Cookers.

I was told last week that it is now illegal to have a gas cooker in a lorry cab. My Bull Manure Filter kicked in when I was told this and I said “Are you sure?” and the answer was “definitely”.

I think I know the answer already, but has anyone heard anything to this effect?

I know I had one years ago on Fed Ex and woke up one morning in hospital due to carbon monoxide poisoning… Never again.

I was told that if I had remained undiscovered for another 5 minutes it would have been a hearse and not an ambulance.

Think there are some company’s around that have banned gas stove’s and the like from being used in cab’s. So for you Harry you might need to have a word with your boss and see what his policy is on in cab cooking facilities. :open_mouth: Seems like you are going to be talking to yourself a lot over the next couple of month’s :laughing: :wink:

Regards
Dave Penn;

davepenn54:
Seems like you are going to be talking to yourself a lot over the next couple of month’s :laughing: :wink:

Nothing new there then Dave! :wink:

Pat Hasler:
I know I had one years ago on Fed Ex and woke up one morning in hospital due to carbon monoxide poisoning… Never again.

I was told that if I had remained undiscovered for another 5 minutes it would have been a hearse and not an ambulance.

Were you using the stove to heat your cab Pat? :open_mouth:

But the thing is Harry are you asking yourself the right questions :question:

Regards
Dave Penn;

I always have it next to the (open) passenger window when I use my gas stove.

It does warn about CO poisoning in the instructions but I can’t really see how the risk is any greater than the gas hob at home. I have been meaning to get a CO alarm since this spate of deaths from having disposable barbecues in tents.

Harry Monk:
I was told last week that it is now illegal to have a gas cooker in a lorry cab. My Bull Manure Filter kicked in when I was told this and I said “Are you sure?” and the answer was “definitely”.

I think I know the answer already, but has anyone heard anything to this effect?

It’s Bull Manure Harry!! I just take the precaution of removing the gas can/supply from the stove when not in use! Only because I heard a story about falling asleep and gas was still escaping and a driver woke up and lit a ■■■ and ((((BOOOOOMM)))) He had some serious burn injuries!! :neutral_face:

dessy:
Only because I heard a story about falling asleep and gas was still escaping and a driver woke up and lit a ■■■ and ((((BOOOOOMM)))) He had some serious burn injuries!! :neutral_face:

Yes, I know two people that has happened to, I once spent New Year’s Eve with one of Eagle Freight’s drivers in Poland and he looked like he had just come back from Barbados in mid-Summer. :wink:

Harry Monk:

Get a letter from your boss Harry, they are perfectly safe, they fit them as standard in yachts, coaches motorhomes and people have them in tents.

Harry Monk:

dessy:
Only because I heard a story about falling asleep and gas was still escaping and a driver woke up and lit a ■■■ and ((((BOOOOOMM)))) He had some serious burn injuries!! :neutral_face:

Yes, I know two people that has happened to, I once spent New Year’s Eve with one of Eagle Freight’s drivers in Poland and he looked like he had just come back from Barbados in mid-Summer. :wink:

It was the reason that Stobbies banned stoves in cabs and started paying a meal allowance! Maybe your governor will do the same eh! :wink:
It’s tax free that allowance aswell!

It is against some companies policies, you might want to check your own companies risk assessment on this topic :grimacing: . I guess as long as sensible precautions are taken then there’s not much that can go wrong, ie open the sunshine roof, turn it off when not cooking, don’t use it to heat cab, make sure it and the canister are in good condition, stick a CO detector in the cab. I’d still say it’s hell of a lot safer than those salmonella vans or the tepid excrement found in MSA’s.

In cab cooking has come a long way.I used to manage with a double gas burner.
Surley you would have to at least take the passenger seat out to get a gas cooker in the cab :laughing:

Is this because thousands of truckers have died of carbon monoxide poisoning or set fire to their whole cab whilst cooking up a bit of bacon again? Health and safety have got it spot on with this one. There is a potential danger so ban it. Driving = Safe. Cooking = Deadly. I’m so glad a proportion of my companies profits have been spent on making sure I am safe and sound.

Been using a gas stove in one form or the other since 1989 to boil a kettle ,heat the cab (when we did’nt have night heaters) I’m still breathing ffs grow a pair!!! some ridiculous posts on here lately :unamused: :unamused:

I’ve cooked in the cab ,or out side it for several years without issuesthe cooker i used was a dual burner and grill , and as said, just open a window or the sunroof whilst cooking there’s no danger of being overwhelmed by carbon monoxide then ffs,Come to think about it i have never even thought about asking ,any employer that i have worked for if they minded me taking my gas cooker

Yes some companies will say no cooking in the cab, but it won’t be on elf & safety grounds,

As for meal allowances, and eating out, not all ways possible, plus their are alot of places that i would not eat at, All motorway service’s for a start and because i like to eat as healthy as poss then all your fast food take-a-way’s are out to, and yes i always make sure the gas is disconnected at the regulator

Squiddy:
Is this because thousands of truckers have died of carbon monoxide poisoning or set fire to their whole cab whilst cooking up a bit of bacon again? Health and safety have got it spot on with this one. There is a potential danger so ban it. Driving = Safe. Cooking = Deadly. I’m so glad a proportion of my companies profits have been spent on making sure I am safe and sound.

And I’m so glad I still have my faculities to make my OWN decisions in life without relying on my boss/wife/government or worse some 2- at in an office to decide everything for me except when I wipe my arse. :unamused:…( Come to think of it theres a " potential danger" in that also …I could use the wrong material :bulb: so let’s ban that as well :unamused: )

Harry Monk:

I can see that your bull manure filter is going to need constant maintainance if you continue to listen to some drivers!

Squiddy:

Thankfully the kind of person who aren’t safe to use a lighter or sparking impliment find how to make it known to the rest of us who they are, you can normally see them going home or into a cafe with their hi-viz vest & hard hat on, you know, just in case!!

Ross.

i have a gas cylinder behind the passenger seat, it lasts most of the year.
whenever i’ve finished cooking i disconnect the regulator from the cylinder. no chance of a leak, and perfectly safe.
and if they decide that cooking is no longer allowed, then i’d just ignore them.

and if i was harry, i’d smack his boss in the face. go on harry try it. :laughing: