Garmin ( Trucker ) sat-navs are gash

So my DEZL 770 with lifetime maps and ‘traffic’ :unamused: packed in last week.

Not had it 2 years and since doris it decided to give up locking on to satellites.

Reverted to the TomTom Trucker 6000 i got for cheap thanks to the poster on here who gave the heads up (nice one) and what a difference. Easy to use, pretty display and the traffic is unbelievably accurate… down to the nearest foot almost :astonished:

The garmin on the other hand was the biggest pile of ■■■■■ ever when it came to traffic, overly complicated to use and just generally flaky as ■■■■.

I’ve lost bluetooth but on the whole very happy with the TomTom. Luckily I also got the £360 paid for the garmin refunded by amazon :sunglasses:

Don’t buy garmin lads

‘Cool story bro’ etc etc :grimacing:

I used to have a garmin sat nav and more often than not it wouldnt find the satellite when switched on and would then lose the connection at random intervals (usually at the exact moment I really needed it when I got to an unfamiliar area)
My wife got me an hgv one for my xmas a couple of years ago off of ebay. Dont even know the name of it but its never gave me any problems, always works perfectly and wasnt even all that expensive.
A lot of the big satnav brands are, in my opinion, doing what a lot of big companies do. Trading off their name from when they were any good

For the money the dezl 770 is a joke. The interface is awful, really unintuitive which is no good for us thick ■■■■ truckers :smiley:

It was so bad i vowed to never buy a garmin product again. Well done garmin sat nav division :unamused:

Had my Garmin Dezl 770 about a week now. Had no issues with it whatsoever. Easy to follow and understand.

Took a few mins to update it rather then the hours it proclaimed as I downloaded it to pc.

Can’t fault it so far.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I’m using the 770 at the moment, only had it a couple of months but it does the job. That said it is awkward to use at times and does like sending you around the houses at times. I will wait to see if any of the above problems surface. I wouldn’t say it’s good value for money by any means but for now it helps me just fine when I don’t know where I’m going.

Had my Garmin Nuvi58 a year or so now and find it brilliant. I really dont rate Tom Tom, horses for courses i suppose…

Does the 6000 not have Blutooth?

Radar19:
Does the 6000 not have Blutooth?

No Bluetooth on the 6000.

Had a 6000 lifetime edition 4 a day. What a load of. Tried to send me down a 6ft 6 width restriction in a 44 tonne artic also tried to send me down a right tight country lane also kept on freezing and locking up.
Guess too much info and not enough processor.
Traffic was spot on though even rerouted me when the m27 was shut at 2am.
So loving my dezl 770 also have a cheap ebay £40 job spot on that is.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SuperMultiBlue:

Not had it 2 years and since doris it decided to give up locking on to satellites.

Reverted to the TomTom Trucker 6000 i got for cheap thanks to the poster on here who gave the heads up (nice one) and what a difference. Easy to use, pretty display and the traffic is unbelievably accurate… down to the nearest foot almost :astonished:

The garmin on the other hand was the biggest pile of [zb] ever when it came to traffic, overly complicated to use and just generally flaky as [zb].

I’ve lost bluetooth but on the whole very happy with the TomTom. Luckily I also got the £360 paid for the garmin refunded by amazon :sunglasses:

Don’t buy garmin lads

No help to you now - But I think you’ll find that the TomTom can be affected in just the same way (mine was a few months ago). What has probably happened is that the downloaded data which normally enables the thing to “lock on” within a few seconds of switch-on has become garbled. On the TomTom it generally needs a hard reset/reboot to clear the erroneous data. Downside is that it may then take several minutes to “lock on”. Once it has done this, it then needs at the very least least 15 minutes to download a fresh copy of the data. Having done all that, normal operation is then resumed (until it happens again).

SuperMultiBlue:

The garmin on the other hand was the biggest pile of [zb] ever when it came to traffic, overly complicated to use and just generally flaky as [zb].

Don’t buy garmin lads

I have the same model and agree with the above, it very rarely predicts road closures correctly and on the rare occasion that it does I end up ignoring it anyway because I just can’t trust it and often the alternative route it chooses is miles out of the way when the diversion is only a few miles extra for example recently coming back from Bristol to Newark, a 3.5 hour journey, the Sat Nav picked up that the M5 was closed Junc 6 to 4a and re-routed itself - the new route it picked was 7 hours long! The diversion through Bromsgrove is circa 15 minutes.

I was thinking about changing to the Tomtom Trucker 6000. I know 99% of the routes I use, the most important feature for me would be the accuracy of the ‘live traffic’ and re-routing feature - how do you rate these?

Roymondo:

SuperMultiBlue:

Don’t buy garmin lads

No help to you now - But I think you’ll find that the TomTom can be affected in just the same way (mine was a few months ago). What has probably happened is that the downloaded data which normally enables the thing to “lock on” within a few seconds of switch-on has become garbled. On the TomTom it generally needs a hard reset/reboot to clear the erroneous data. Downside is that it may then take several minutes to “lock on”. Once it has done this, it then needs at the very least least 15 minutes to download a fresh copy of the data. Having done all that, normal operation is then resumed (until it happens again).

The garmin was toast. Had their support on the phone and did the explained hard reset which did nothing so they asked me to return and would replace. I took a punt on a refund email to amazon and it worked.

If the tomtom fails so be it but its a better sat-nav than the garmin (to me)

123smith:

SuperMultiBlue:

Don’t buy garmin lads

I have the same model and agree with the above, it very rarely predicts road closures correctly and on the rare occasion that it does I end up ignoring it anyway because I just can’t trust it and often the alternative route it chooses is miles out of the way when the diversion is only a few miles extra for example recently coming back from Bristol to Newark, a 3.5 hour journey, the Sat Nav picked up that the M5 was closed Junc 6 to 4a and re-routed itself - the new route it picked was 7 hours long! The diversion through Bromsgrove is circa 15 minutes.

I was thinking about changing to the Tomtom Trucker 6000. I know 99% of the routes I use, the most important feature for me would be the accuracy of the ‘live traffic’ and re-routing feature - how do you rate these?

The garmins traffic is not even close. Absolute waste of time and after taking its reroute instructions a couple of times i too failed to trust it and ignore it.

Not had a re-route suggestion yet but telling you where the traffic is, is 300% better.

Got a tom tom (model 5550 I think) and it is excellent. Only issue is having to pay £50 every year to update the live services. So easy to use. Mostly set it up using point on map in conjunction with google maps and add way points if the route isn’t to my liking.

That said when I’m doing farms I get my directions from the farmers and usually put it in car mode to avoid stupid routes trying to avoid 7.5t restrictions.

I have a garmin dezl something or other. The charging cable frayed and I priced up a new one. £75! You can get standard charging cables for about £15 but they do t have the aerial you need for the live traffic.

123smith:
…the most important feature for me would be the accuracy of the ‘live traffic’ and re-routing feature - how do you rate these?

Generally pretty much spot-on, although sometimes the delays it shows can extend especially is a road is recently closed, but mine usually updates itself pretty fast. Quite often gives alternative routes although not sure why it thinks a route which is 3 minutes faster is worth mentioning. It got me around numerous jams a while back when roads just closed one after the other on way to Birmingham.

I think it’s the feature I’d most miss without a sat nav. Maps are good, but something which can tell you there’s a massive traffic jam ahead is very handy especially when on a motorway where you can’t just stop and read the map.

One big advantage of the TomTom is it has a built in data sim, so doesn’t need extra aerials etc. which is one reason I picked it over the Garmin. Suspect it uses data from Google too, instead of those little blue / green cameras which only cover major roads (which the Garmin seems to use).

AndrewG:
Had my Garmin Nuvi58 a year or so now and find it brilliant. I really dont rate Tom Tom, horses for courses i suppose…

Spot on m8. Ive never had a problem with my Garmin and i would never buy a TOMTOM

All about opinions :smiley:

Thanks for the advice, I think I will invest in a new Tomtom.