Gardner 6LYT

Anybody on here have one
Seddon Atki
ERF
Foden

Talking with No Rush about engine/gearbox combinations did the big Gardner ever have the twin splitter fitted
Or even with the 6LXDT

I know R.K.Browning from Leighton Buzzard first twin splitter went in a D reg E series behind an L10 290
he had one 6LYT in a C reg C series I think that one had a 9 speed roadranger

The ERF E16s we ran and the one I drove had the 13spd Fuller fitted

They did have twin splitters in too ,TDG had some E16 they were on tankers from Oldham ,green cabs with the nexus juggling man logo on the door .

hi dan,
two mates of mine drove ly gardner powered vehicles.one was a driver with national express and his coach had one,he used to tell me he loved the sound of it coming through the tunnel at heathrow.the other,a mate on the truck show circuit has one in a mid-eighties foden.i think new from your area originally,armit? brown and striped colour scheme?wouldnt be the first time i was wrong though….
regards andrew.

Yes that sounds right Andrew ,Armitt from stoke on Trent I’d think ,same colours as Plants & Yoxalls .

Dan Punchard:
Yes that sounds right Andrew ,Armitt from stoke on Trent I’d think ,same colours as Plants & Yoxalls .

hi dan,
i think? c979 tvt,or something similar.has a cheese wedge roof on it,cab is all grey,from memory,i think? a twin splitter.
regards andrew.

Great boys
keep them coming
I think Fountain Bros of Aylesbury had an E16 and or an E12
Anyone remember Mackay?? of Watford Brown E12 I think

B&S haulage from cheadle staffs had some ex TNT E16s with twin splitters ,quote ’ they were the most unreliable engines we ever had ,the rest of the lorry was great ’ !

We had 6 ERF E12’s with Gardner 6LXDT engines at Turners (Soham) Ltd. Rated at 290 bhp they had Twin-Splitters. we also 6 similar ERF E12s, same engine, but rated at 270 bhp. They had a 12-speed range change box, but I can’t remember the maker. When they bought Lowes of Paddock Wood there were a couple of ERF E16s, 6LYT engines, with twin splitters.

The Boys Own:
Anybody on here have one
Seddon Atki
ERF
Foden

Talking with No Rush about engine/gearbox combinations did the big Gardner ever have the twin splitter fitted
Or even with the 6LXDT

I know R.K.Browning from Leighton Buzzard first twin splitter went in a D reg E series behind an L10 290

The E12s we ran all had the twin splitter fitted our fitters even put twin splitters in a couple of ERF C40s we ran they had the 8LXCT fitted

I had a 1986 Foden with a 320 Gardner in it , i don`t know which model the engine was but it had a 9 speed fuller and a Rockwell axle it pulled very well one of the best motors i ever drove

gingerfold:
We had 6 ERF E12’s with Gardner 6LXDT engines at Turners (Soham) Ltd. Rated at 290 bhp they had Twin-Splitters. we also 6 similar ERF E12s, same engine, but rated at 270 bhp. They had a 12-speed range change box, but I can’t remember the maker. When they bought Lowes of Paddock Wood there were a couple of ERF E16s, 6LYT engines, with twin splitters.

I never got into the Gardner Turbo’s,always shied away from them and in any case we were up to our armpits in Scanias from the mid 80’s and more than happy with them so there was no way we were going to go backwards !! Cheers Bewick.

pete 359:

Dan Punchard:

hi dan,
i think? c979 tvt,or something similar.has a cheese wedge roof on it,cab is all grey,from memory,i think? a twin splitter.
regards andrew.

gazsa401:

The Boys Own:
Anybody on here have one
Seddon Atki
ERF
Foden

Or even with the 6LXDT

The E12s we ran all had the twin splitter fitted our fitters even put twin splitters in a couple of ERF C40s we ran they had the 8LXCT fitted

An unusual combination 8 pot and twin splitter must have made for an interesting drive the 8 was a slow engine to die down against the fast changing twin split
What do you reckon No Rush :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The Boys Own:
An unusual combination 8 pot and twin splitter must have made for an interesting drive the 8 was a slow engine to die down against the fast changing twin split
What do you reckon No Rush

Take a good man t’drive that, not like what they churn out nowadays.

No Rush:

The Boys Own:
What do you reckon No Rush

Take a good man t’drive that, not like what they churn out nowadays.

Had a better day today only found three neutrals :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: I’m off to Jamaica!!!

The Boys Own:
Had a better day today only found three neutrals :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: I’m off to Jamaica!!!

You taking The Baddest ERF In Milton Keynes with you?

So various ERF E16s left ,evidence of one Foden the above C reg but are there anymore or even a Seddon Atki example around ?

We had a 401 6x2 demo with 6lxyt on a c reg , got couple of photos somewhere , it was in demo colours went well and was good on fuel, but we just had a 8 wheeler in end with 6lxdt in, they were trouble from new