G A Smith lowloader

Was on A59 between York and Harrogate this morning Scanny 6x4 unit , Nooteboom 4 axle trailer , all steered , with a BIG fork lift on. He was about 3 cars in front of me and I thought it would slow me up but no , he went at a good pace for a single carrigeway and safely as we’ll.
He pulled into a lay by just before A1.
Anyway, the point of my post is, anybody else see it and what the hell does that machine lift ?!!!
G A Smith Felton Northumberland is the firm
Jim

Having not seen it don’t know for sure but sounds as if it could have been one that they use on the docks for lifting containers.

Does a lot of work for and in & out of Tyne Dock.

Maybe that fork lift was from the Tyne, but not all of it… Maybe they’ve removed the cradle for lifting containers etc?

And yes GA Smith don’t hang about either, most or maybe all their trucks are ‘remapped’ too from what I heard years ago…

Was left near enough standing ages ago when I used to drive, on the Bowes incline, Gateshead…

He had a huge 360 on going up in the second lane, accelerating away as if he was empty…! :open_mouth:

Assuming it wasn’t a reach stacker, and it had a vertical mast, it could be used with a container grab which would need to be removed to transport it. Like the one the guy with the hi-ab was assembling on Supertruckers.

If it just had large forks it could be used for smaller containers, or some other port or heavy industry use.

Thanks for your replies chaps , it was just a massive version of an ordinary fork truck , straight mast , double wheels at the front , didn’t have a lifting frame but it wouldn’t have fit on the trailer with one.
Container lifter is most likely but I was intrigued as to where he came from as he came onto A59 from York ring road coming from Leeds direction and I couldn’t think of anywhere from that direction that would have a machine that big.
Perhaps he was off route and I’m getting him in the ■■■ with my nosey parkering.
Jim

Could it have come from Britcom @ M. Weighton … think they are doing plant machines now, as well as trucks :question:
Was it new or “used” :question:
Are you still driving low loader for HACS :question:

There’s a container freight centre at Stourton in Leeds that have uber forklifts so could be from there possibly? Never seen them in operation though but def look big enough to lift a small container.

JFC999:
Thanks for your replies chaps , it was just a massive version of an ordinary fork truck , straight mast , double wheels at the front ]

Theres still a couple of the big 20+yrs old CAT forklifts working in the steelworks where i work from,they will pick 50 tons up like it was nothing, hell of a thing they are

The Rustler:
Could it have come from Britcom @ M. Weighton … think they are doing plant machines now, as well as trucks :question:
Was it new or “used” :question:
Are you still driving low loader for HACS :question:

Hi Rustler , Britcom is a possible yes, he was coming from that direction but if heading for A1 I’d have gone A64
On loloda only occasioly now , on skips and big bite mostly
How you doin ?
Jim

dcgpx:
There’s a container freight centre at Stourton in Leeds that have uber forklifts so could be from there possibly? Never seen them in operation though but def look big enough to lift a small container.

Stourton is the nearest place where it would be applicable , I agree but if comming from Leeds to A1 he wouldn’t have been on York ring road
Jim

chaversdad:

JFC999:
Thanks for your replies chaps , it was just a massive version of an ordinary fork truck , straight mast , double wheels at the front ]

Theres still a couple of the big 20+yrs old CAT forklifts working in the steelworks where i work from,they will pick 50 tons up like it was nothing, hell of a thing they are

Hi chaversdad , it looked like a 50 t lifter easy but not very old and not brand new either.
Jim

Anything like this (32 tonner)

I work for Linde and the biggest we get in our depot that our wagons can handle are usually H160’s that lift 16t anything else is special delivery straight from Germany direct to site.

Drift:
Anything like this (32 tonner)

I work for Linde and the biggest we get in our depot that our wagons can handle are usually H160’s that lift 16t anything else is special delivery straight from Germany direct to site.

That’s about the size of it Drift, and yes it was a Linde.
You would struggle to get that on a 6wheeler !
Thanks,
Jim

Sod that on mine :laughing: