Future

Will Boris achieve his objective of making the UK a,“high earnings, high tech nation?”
Will the recent skill shortage result in higher wages for HGV?
Will it result in re-appraisal of driver status?
Will it result in significant investment and re-structuring of driver parking and facilities etc?
Will the shortage be overtaken by autonomous trucks.
Will the Brexit snags be resolved acceptably?
Will there be a traumatic hiatus while the oil dependency is resolved?
Just asking so I can advise my grandson who has expressed an interest in becoming an hgv driver.

Optimum:
Just asking so I can advise my grandson who has expressed an interest in becoming an hgv driver.

He shouldn`t expect to retire still doing any job he starts now.

All jobs will be changing with time more rapidly than before. HGV driving will change with automation / green issues / Brexit/ etc etc. But so will most other jobs.

If he is keen? Go for it. :smiley:
But don`t expect this job to be the same for very long. That applies to all jobs though.

In about…

(ISH) 30 years, Boris/Johnson/Putin/Biden/Xi Jin Ping etc will be replaced by an AI system.

The time to party is now.

Optimum:
Will Boris achieve his objective of making the UK a,“high earnings, high tech nation?”
Will it result in significant investment and re-structuring of driver parking and facilities etc?

Dont be daft.

Boris is a politician. Therefore a liar.

A lot will change over the next 20-50 years. And some of it won’t be in the way that is currently expected.

I’m glad I’m nearly 50 and not 15 is all I will say.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

yourhavingalarf:
In about…

(ISH) 30 years, Boris/Johnson/Putin/Biden/Xi Jin Ping etc will be replaced by an AI system.

The time to party is now.

Id be happy with half of that. (I dont care if it`s artificial or not)

Optimum:
Doubtful, more a high debt broken totalitarian society we recognise even less than we barely know now.

Not in the long term, normal service will resume shortly.

No, we’ll be back to scum of the earth in the eyes of our leaders the media and the general brainwashed public the second we’re off the front page.

After a few headline photo ops have been unveiled proiroties will be changed.

No, not for decades, who’s going to be held accountable when error 404 crops up and our autonomous wagon careers off out of control.

What snags, regardless of EU Brexit or whatever, our current politicians couldn’t run the proverbial brewery based ■■■■ up.

This is going to be the real problem, trying to wean a country off normal fuels before the required reliable replacement systems are in place is lunacy.

If he wants to be a lorry driver, truly in the old sense of the word, then by all means encourage him do it, he’ll struggle to find rewarding work at first as everyone mostly does…i don’t mean monetary rewards, but job satisfaction, the right jobs are still out there carrying on being done despite all the new style logistics giants trained management’s best efforts to fix what was never broken in the first place.
Best bet is to advise him to find own account work whenever possible, the contract logistics sector is just about buggered regarding a lorry driver enjoying their work any more as the job is progressively deskilled/dumbed down, although the money is improving for the time being as it will need to knowing the inflation that’s coming our way, but a better overall job that is usually more rewarding in job satisfaction terms as well as better ts and cs is still to be found in own account.

Train driver would be a better bet than driving a truck in the brave new utopia planned.Even at worse the redundancy terms would be second to none. But can still keep the truck driver option open but be aware Scandinavia or NZ this isn’t.It’s a pariah degenerating industry with no future unless something big changes in public and government perceptions.

Optimum:

Got a spare postage stamp doing nothing.

No harm in giving it a whirl, there are other opportunities within the industry other than being a driver if he gets fed up with it later.

I dont think Boris wanted a high wage economy - he certainly never said that before the driver shortage. Its just something he made up to sound like he planned it all.

Depends how much you care about him. If he gets on your ■■■■ and you can’t stand him, then encourage him no end.

If it’s the opposite and you think he is the best thing since scud missiles, then give him a stern talking to over the next few years & threaten to make sure he has no inheritance If he ever even mentions it again.

JeffA:
I dont think Boris wanted a high wage economy - he certainly never said that before the driver shortage. Its just something he made up to sound like he planned it all.

Absolutely.
And most people would reasonably expect highly trained and skilled workforces, with high investment in equipment, to be able to demand good wages.
He seems to be saying that wages are now increasing, and this will result in higher investment etc…!

Just as ‘truck driving’ has changed in the last 30-40 yrs, to the extent that contributors on here deride it’s very concept these days. The driver of the future will be using skills alien to us, whilst being blissfully ignorant of what we consider core skills now.
I do actually think Carryfast’s vision of this job to have more merit than he is given.
I foresee it being very few, if any trunking work. More short journeys not requiring stopping places away from base. (that’ll certainly cure the msa issues), whilst requiring more load interaction and multitasking. So, basically a mobile porter.

Carryfast:
Train driver would be a better bet than driving a truck in the brave new utopia planned.Even at worse the redundancy terms would be second to none. But can still keep the truck driver option open but be aware Scandinavia or NZ this isn’t.It’s a pariah degenerating industry with no future unless something big changes in public and government perceptions.

You know most trains are automated, especially London Underground, to be pendantic, the Victoria has been since the introduction of the 1967 stock then 72 stock, when looking at head wall you will see a white light not green or red and you know the train is in auto driver just opens and closes the doors, so an over paid attendant to a pease the public.

Optimum:
Electricity is now too expensive for fresh R&D work to be viable. “Under-funded, Too expensive”.

Looking at the number of HGV driving traffic out there right now - I’d say the crisis has well and truly bluffed some fresh chumps duly into coming into the industry - right at a time when a coming recession means they will STILL have to wait two years for a job opening!

Brexiteers, Drivers, Tories, and now the Police - will continue to be despised by over half the public - or so we are told it is over half, rather than just under half like the vote went…

That is in place, with laybys being deepened/extended… But no signs of MSA places being made both free and taking half of Farmer Gile’s field alas, which is the bigger hammer-on-the-nail needed.

The technology is limited to the rate that HGV drivers that are also computer coders - start to be treated better than other drivers… Looking at the way yours truly gets pilloried on a regular basis, I’d say the wait for Autonomous trucks lies somewhere between “Another Parliament” and “Doomsday”.

They are not being permitted to, Eg. Russian relations officially rubbished, to give us 5x the price of electricity since “Salisbury”. We cannot have energy prices back down to 2016 levels again - without making peace with Putin, who we are told was behind Brexit from the very beginning, having brainwashed us all by sub-neural RT transmissions whilst we were sleeping during 2016 in particular…

Will there be a traumatic hiatus while the oil dependency is resolved? We’re no more dependent on Oil these days than we are on Coal. There’s plenty of both left, Britain could earn a mint from our own share in these resources, but would rather blow the lot on some international lie, scam, con, and daylight robbery that should be re-named “26 cops needed to round 'em all up, and jail them for the biggest fraud in history”.

Tell him there’s a chance he won’t even get to grow up, if we don’t reject this establishment that is driving us to utter ruin before long…

Good job I didn’t mention about the dirty knife!

discoman:

Carryfast:

You know most trains are automated, especially London Underground, to be pendantic, the Victoria has been since the introduction of the 1967 stock then 72 stock, when looking at head wall you will see a white light not green or red and you know the train is in auto driver just opens and closes the doors, so an over paid attendant to a pease the public.

Trains by definition are sort of ‘automated’ they run on rails.
Opens what doors on a freight train.
Can’t believe the level of complacency concerning the catastrophe that’s about to hit the road transport industry sending it back to where it was in the 1920’s.
When every young person’s dream job was to be a train driver not a truck driver.
Obviously long before the days of Destination Doha hitting the TV screens.

g.co/kgs/76ucUA

He needs to be a coloured,non gender specific woke communist who wants to work from home…he (she) (it) will get along just fine :laughing:

Winseer:

Optimum:
Electricity is now too expensive for fresh R&D work to be viable. “Under-funded, Too expensive”.

Looking at the number of HGV driving traffic out there right now - I’d say the crisis has well and truly bluffed some fresh chumps duly into coming into the industry - right at a time when a coming recession means they will STILL have to wait two years for a job opening!

Brexiteers, Drivers, Tories, and now the Police - will continue to be despised by over half the public - or so we are told it is over half, rather than just under half like the vote went…

That is in place, with laybys being deepened/extended… But no signs of MSA places being made both free and taking half of Farmer Gile’s field alas, which is the bigger hammer-on-the-nail needed.

The technology is limited to the rate that HGV drivers that are also computer coders - start to be treated better than other drivers… Looking at the way yours truly gets pilloried on a regular basis, I’d say the wait for Autonomous trucks lies somewhere between “Another Parliament” and “Doomsday”.

They are not being permitted to, Eg. Russian relations officially rubbished, to give us 5x the price of electricity since “Salisbury”. We cannot have energy prices back down to 2016 levels again - without making peace with Putin, who we are told was behind Brexit from the very beginning, having brainwashed us all by sub-neural RT transmissions whilst we were sleeping during 2016 in particular…

Will there be a traumatic hiatus while the oil dependency is resolved? We’re no more dependent on Oil these days than we are on Coal. There’s plenty of both left, Britain could earn a mint from our own share in these resources, but would rather blow the lot on some international lie, scam, con, and daylight robbery that should be re-named “26 cops needed to round 'em all up, and jail them for the biggest fraud in history”.

Tell him there’s a chance he won’t even get to grow up, if we don’t reject this establishment that is driving us to utter ruin before long…

Dependence on cheap safe fossil fuel at a few pence per kwh.
As opposed to dependence on nuclear fuelled electric at more than 25p per kwh and the risk of a Chernobyl at a place near you.
Look on the bright side the cushy train driving job will pay a lot more to be able to afford it than the warehouse operative/local truck driver job.