Furthest

BUMP!!!.. was looking back over some older posts, and seeing as this is over three years old, I thought some of our newer members might well have missed it and may have something to contribute! :wink: :wink:

I used to go regular to Muscat which is quite far, I also did Corgos on the China Kaz border even more regular. The transfer station was officially on the Chinese side but only just. More like no mans land.
Up until at least 2000 NO ONE from Europe ever got a truck into China. ( if you have ever been there and had dealings with the Chinese authorities you would know why ) I had a word with a border official one day and asked him what the score was to be told that it could only be done if the vehicle was imported so import duty would have to be paid at 60 % of the cost of the vehicle, and that’s just to start with there were also some other charges to be paid, it wouldn’t matter how long the vehicle would be in the country.
It would also require a Chinese importer to buy the vehicle and handle the paperwork.
Anyone one traveling with the vehicle would require all the official paperwork ( more money ) and be accompanied at all time with a Chinese official and they would have to pay for that as well.
It was pretty well set up so that no one would get in.
There is a company operating at the moment called Toro Travel who do hire drive tours of China, it’s run by the Chinese government and they offer various routs of varying lengths, all of them have " tour guides ".
I know a few people that work in China and they say that it is still necessary for them to be accompanied if they are doing any travel out side their designated area, however they are getting a bit more laxed now with outsiders just going to and from work. But that doesn’t mean they’re no longer watching you.
I did a couple of runs to Citta, which at the time was as far east as you could go in Russia as the road form there to Vlad was still under construction. :unamused: :unamused: I was meant to go to Bozja but the road was wiped out by the weather at the time so I had to terminate in Citta again.

I used to share a flat with Sleggy who was on for Expo out of Honiton. Some of the things they tried to get away with were on the top side of stupid. Yes they tried to haul road trains across Russia but the got caught and had to leave a trailer behind and go back for it, they also had a 13.7 meter box van behind an fL10 26 foot ridge. Considering some of the stuff they were hauling they took a lot of unessery risks with not only their own equipment but also the customers goods as well.
He also sat in Buku for 3 weeks unpaid, and ran up a phone bill for 798 quid for an 8 hour call to his girlfriend, and bent the motor on the way home.

I also did Anchorage to Houston with a load of oil equipment when I was in the States.

Jeff…

ramone:

Reddesertfox:
Should this not be Furthest / Most hostile and primitive… and when the trip was done. :open_mouth:
Clearly a 15000 km trip in the 60’s early 70’s would have been a far more difficult mission than let’s say a 20,000 km trip from UK - Salalah - UK in the 80’s that was neither difficult or hostile. The furthest could end up being a case of;
“mine is bigger than yours”

I think the most primitive ive been to is Glasgow :astonished:

Hi Ramone, As you know I moved from Bradford to Glasgow, its not that bad, just keep ducking the bottles and blades, I suppose this wasn’t the Furthest run though. :wink:

No the furthest at all,but at the time hostile? In the late 80s a owner driver from our village took a load of McDonald s packaging from Glasgow to Moscow in a iveco turbo star which was well rotten with patches all over pop riveted on painted blue with a brush,he had a blue tilt Phillip Gregory Interntional,perhaps someone will remember him going out of Dover on a Sunday? He once took the pistons out somewhere in Italy and sandpapered them to get back as the v8 had seized .

We used to run McDonolds wrappers out of Napoli in the 90’s about 5 loads a week. A few of those loads went to Moscow as well. And I used to drive an Italian spec 480 Star it didn’t have rusty patches on it.

One of the other long runs I did was Newcastle ( NSW ) via Melbourne, to Perth, I was meant to come back from there but I lost my back load so I took a round trip to Karratha. We’re paid by the K so it was a fairly profitable trip. It’s about 6000 each way.

Jeff…

I went to Watford once - took sandwiches and everything :smiley:

David

I went to Watford as well, but I stopped at Toddington services on the way and bought a packet of crisps and a can of coke.
I also bought some insurance from a tall Welsh bloke that used to hang round there in the 80’s and it paid out when my appendices bust in the way back from Tunisia.

Jeff…

I regularly go as far as Aberystwyth both with a lorry and in my PV but because I’m ■■■■■■■■■ I do it with only 1 night out :slight_smile:

Been to the end of the World a few times. or as its known Southampton.

maxhagar:
Been to the end of the World a few times. or as its known Southampton.

Didja call in the Juniper Berry while you were there?

Archie Paice:

Suedehead:
Did or did not ? :confused: a firm from the Uk do a run to Nigeria ?
Did i read it somewere . . or was it a Carlsberg export moment :blush:

Hullo Suedehead,
Yes there was one firm that I remember went out to Nigeria, Wake Brothers of Hull. They set up another company as Nigeria Transport. the road forman on the job was Norman Olsen from Hull (R.I.P), I knew him fairly well. The job never lasted very long though, as it very nearly broke them. That would have been if I remember correctly in or about 1973 /74.
Cheers. Archie.

yes it was three white F88s

Palermo sicilly in a puddle jumper. went the long way round swiss, and came back through mont blanc .it was my first time over the water in a truck and was told to avoid the tolls . being green I did :frowning: after chatting to a couple of (proper) truckers an Italian and a Belgian I came back through mon blanc ,iirc the cost of the tunnel was e120 ish using the company (emergency) credit card. I rang boss and told him what I was doing and he okayed it, it was surely cheaper than going back the way I went.

Apologise in advance, its probably been asked before.
Who has driven the furthest from the Uk(in a lorry) hippies in a Vw doesnt count :sunglasses:

its Sofia , Bulgaria for me though some of the tour guys will be along who have been to turkey/russia, and also the middle east guys who beat us all.

Hiya…i think Comarts run to the Pakistan boarder with copper.It was bound for India but the permit would,nt let them through pakistan and the load was transhipped onto local lorries. i seem to have read the Ralph Davis did some work into China.with something stupid like mars bars or Kit kat.
someone will know more
John

3300John:
Hiya…i think Comarts run to the Pakistan boarder with copper.It was bound for India but the permit would,nt let them through pakistan and the load was transhipped onto local lorries. i seem to have read the Ralph Davis did some work into China.with something stupid like mars bars or Kit kat.
someone will know more
John

would they get to drive all the way to china? and how the hell would you get there

About 10 years ago a few of my customers were regular subbies for Kepstowe Freight, ( ‘Nice Nigel’ Harness, Chris Everitt, Alan Johnson etc. ) and they went as far as Alma Ata and Bishkek a number of times. Look on a map and find Kazakhstan, you will then find those places in the south east corner of the country, not far from the Chinese and Mongolian borders.

Steve.

3300John:
someone will know more
John

Hi John, it was Alan Morrey and another driver who took the load of copper to India when they worked for Thor Transport from Stoke in the seventies. Alan lurkes on here sometimes under the name of Thor /Dow.
Jeff the Flying Foden knows the name of the other driver so maybe he can remind us :wink: .

Suedehead and gogzy, if you want a very interesting read have a look at the first part of Dave Mackie’s drivers stories to the Zarafshan Gold Mine, which is not too far away from the Chinese border :smiley: .

mackie.netii.net

mushroomman:

3300John:
someone will know more
John

Hi John, it was Alan Morrey and another driver who took the load of copper to India when they worked for Thor Transport from Stoke in the seventies. Alan lurkes on here sometimes under the name of Thor /Dow.
Jeff the Flying Foden knows the name of the other driver so maybe he can remind us :wink: .

Suedehead and gogzy, if you want a very interesting read have a look at the first part of Dave Mackie’s drivers stories to the Zarafshan Gold Mine, which is not too far away from the Chinese border :smiley: .
Hiya … although i live in Wales now i knew stacks of lads in the Stoke area as i lived in leek and worked at harrisons. we pulled Berrisfords trailers in and out of Dover also moorcap with the double deck farm implement trailers. my mates Derek Birch malc Gibson eddie deville and billy brindley all worked for comart.
i had a drive of the left ■■■■■■ with the big sun visor and trilex wheeles one day at longton.Terry sutton another mate was on for Moorlock and his brother Phil was a Rocold man. i knew most of beresfords men as we would do changeovers at farthing corner or in the docks or sometimes at scratchwood services.
I worked with john bradburn at gb freightlines at Buxton he was doing rags to spain and satsumers back.
John

i just google mapped manchester england to the southwest corner of kazakstan and strangly it did it for me :open_mouth:

dont know what the hell they base their info on because it says you can do it in 4 days 17 hours… :open_mouth:

and i think i know the transport manager that would expect you to do it aswell … :unamused: 5719 mls in just over 4 days what the hell ■■