Furlough Pay - Which firms are/will be paying?

Today is the day that firms put in for the past weeks of furloughment, and get the grant that either re-imburses them for furlough (paid gardening leave) already paid out, or at least to commence from this week such payments, backdated to March.

So who’s paying it then?
Has anyone on here already started to receive furlough payments?

The exact amount - can stay private as per one’s normal income…

BUT are we all being hung out to dry, or is this scheme of Chancellor Sunak’s - actually going to work the way it should by the end of this month, and then ongoingly until at least the end of June now?

It is a week before the end-of-month bills go out for millions of people, many of whom have yet to receive a brass farthing…

If there’s going to be any “Log Jam” over this issue - then THIS week is when it’s at.

Who’s getting it already?
Who’s paying it among the small yard gaffers that post on here?

My own interests are “Which agency bods are getting it” of course…
Zero Hours workers - have as much rights under PAYE as anyone salaried, after all…

I’ve been getting paid 80% since the schools were closed (I’m a part time school bus driver). The company I work for find it difficult to get decent, reliable (or even any) drivers at the best of times so if they had just layed us all off there would be a very real possibility of not having any drivers when work re-starts. I think the gaffer is paying us out of his own pocket and I don’t think he’s struggling to do so.

I heard site goes live today for company’s to input details of staff off etc.
Then payments will be made towards next week.end of the month. To help people paid monthly there be paid on time

But what about us that are weekly paid?
I suppose there’s so many questions.
I’m not overly fussed yet there’s plenty in a worse financial situation than me.
Long as I get what’s owed and it’s back dated I’ll be happy to wait

edd1974:
I heard site goes live today for company’s to input details of staff off etc.
Then payments will be made towards next week.end of the month. To help people paid monthly there be paid on time

But what about us that are weekly paid?
I suppose there’s so many questions.
I’m not overly fussed yet there’s plenty in a worse financial situation than me.
Long as I get what’s owed and it’s back dated I’ll be happy to wait

Amen to that.

I understand that a lot of smaller firms just won’t be able to pay even 20% of staff payroll costs to just sit at home, unable to allocate to any kind of assignment work.

Then there’s the issues of “no stamp paid for zero paid staff” for possibly weeks and months on end, so it would make sense for those who’ve had nowt for all the weeks of APRIL so far - to be paid in one job-lot as if they’ve been moved to monthly pay… I’ve sent a message to try and find out what is happening at my employers, but no reply as to their intent as of yet.

Hopefully once the grants start appearing in Employer accounts, they can then negotiate how much of this is paid over to staff, so perhaps there is a little profit turnover out of the transaction… Payroll - still costs to run, after all. Perhaps 80% of 80%, so the cash-strapped employer doesn’t have to find any extra money above and beyond this 80% grant money?

Now - let’s hope this huge surge of employer’s applying - includes everyone that actually has staff stood down on zero pay now…

From what I’ve read, the idea was the employer keeps paying wages just at 80% of average then claims the money back into their account. A bit like they would with invoices being 30 days behind except the money is coming from the gov not customers.

That’s the way ours are doing it at least and we’re weekly paid, and they certainly wouldn’t want to give out money early (unless they messed up). :slight_smile:

As for agencies, if you’re PAYE according to the TV they should be claiming, but I know some aren’t. Not sure how they work it out, but bet they screw plenty of people over.

Yeah mine have been paying out weekly. The first lot all got paid as per, they’re now back at work and its the turn of the next lot (myself included) to have a three week stint. I feel more comfortable with it knowing the first lot went OK, and even more so now that the scheme is actually running.

toonsy:
Yeah mine have been paying out weekly. The first lot all got paid as per, they’re now back at work and its the turn of the next lot (myself included) to have a three week stint. I feel more comfortable with it knowing the first lot went OK, and even more so now that the scheme is actually running.

If you have been fuloughed then go back to work, can you go back to furlough if it goes quiet again.
Thanks
Jim

JFC999 yes you can go on furlough again, as long as it is in 3 week blocks, you furlough for three weeks continuous, the go back to work, you can then furlough again.
I’ve been on furlough for 4 weeks now, we are only small company wuth 6 drivers, quiet at the moment, 3 of us are furloughs.

Sapper

JFC999:

toonsy:

If you have been fuloughed then go back to work, can you go back to furlough if it goes quiet again.
Thanks
Jim

Yes. But only in blocks if three weeks. So to be furlough and qualify for government help it has to be for a minimum of three weeks. You can then go back for a week say and get furloughed again but for another period of three weeks.

It can be less time but only if the firm don’t claim from government.

If you’re on furlough and have done the minimum three weeks you can then carry on a week at a time - so it doesn’t have to be six weeks, you can go back after four or five or whatever when the company needs you back.

That’s what the info leaflet thing says anyway.

Thanks for the info
Jim

Winseer:
Hopefully once the grants start appearing in Employer accounts, they can then negotiate how much of this is paid over to staff, so perhaps there is a little profit turnover out of the transaction… Payroll - still costs to run, after all. Perhaps 80% of 80%, so the cash-strapped employer doesn’t have to find any extra money above and beyond this 80% grant money?

As far as I understand the employer has to pay the full 80% received from the government to the employee with no deductions for processing, the employer at their own discretion can pay the extra 20% above the grant to make up any shortfall in normal wages.

Now I’m being told that “I’m not eligable” after three weeks without a single shift off them…

I am guessing that they have decided not to actually hand me a P45, because then they would have disqualified themselves from claiming the 80% government grant… Then there’s the issue of P45ing someone - without bloody well settling up small matters such as an outstanding week’s holiday, suddenly deleted from the system just before the lock-down…

I can’t believe that the firm has no intention of claiming anything at all from the government here?!
Someone drowning - invariably bobs up once for air, before going under for good this time…

Are agencies in general so close to the edge, that any kind of deliberate financial irregularity could now be considered, if it keeps the suits in wages for a few days longer hmm?
There won’t be any agencies left in this country by Christmas - if their dodgy-looking actions are the benchmark for the entire industry by this point eh?

Who’s gonna work for an outfit in future that inists on being your employer for instructions purposes (not to mentioned “enables a firm to claim money from the government”…) , but suddenly cuts you loose the moment an employee is perceived to have become a financial liability by wanting a payment to merely be passed onto them that they are legally entitled to…

Technically speaking, I would be up for the full £2500pm - but offer me 80% of that - and I’d be happy… Offer me 80% of 80% and take tax/insurance deductions from it - and I’d be happy. Offer me 80% in lieu of any holiday I had left - and I’d be happy… No dice though. :frowning:

I think I’ll start by informing DWP that they are no longer paying my stamp, nor ensuring I get at least a single shift per week to “get me by”, or rather “keep themselves legal” if they have any intention of claiming this furlough money for other higher-up-in-pecking-order staff they might still have on their books… No doubt the DWP will be asking questions of me, to explain why I’ve apparently taken a NIC holiday at this time…

That’s those fantastic ZHC that were the next coming of Jesus according to your good self.

An employer (your agency) doesn’t have to claim. They also don’t have to give you any work. So you end up in a limbo state where you’re still “employed” but it’s fine for you to get no hours.

I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t claim a grant for you but then maybe that’s how your agency views yourself and your fellow drivers?

It’s unfortunate that some people have allowed themselves over time to be backed into a corner and now the brown stuff has hit the fan they’re royally getting shafted, surely you should have seen it coming months ago. Then they might be able to get some money coming out of the current crisis and not left in limbo.

Personally it seems the way my 80% is calculated, is that I’m getting 80% of the normal hourly pay rate multiplied by the average of the hours I’ve worked over the past year which is in the region of 51.9hrs, which appears to work out the same as averaging 80% of my gross taxable income for the year. There are no admin fees deducted from the monies, only PAYE and NI.

we are being paid 80% of our salary at DHL.have had weekly updates from management,as our customer has had to mothball their shops for the present,but we have 15 drivers working on another contract.our chief says that once the 3 week furlough period is up,it carries on on a daily basis…but if you go back to work,even for 1 shift,then go back on furlough,the 3 week period starts again.

peirre:
It’s unfortunate that some people have allowed themselves over time to be backed into a corner and now the brown stuff has hit the fan they’re royally getting shafted, surely you should have seen it coming months ago. Then they might be able to get some money coming out of the current crisis and not left in limbo.

Personally it seems the way my 80% is calculated, is that I’m getting 80% of the normal hourly pay rate multiplied by the average of the hours I’ve worked over the past year which is in the region of 51.9hrs, which appears to work out the same as averaging 80% of my gross taxable income for the year. There are no admin fees deducted from the monies, only PAYE and NI.

…That’s what I’ve been after from the beginning. It wasn’t until I read on the Gov.uk website that “zero hours agency workers are entitled to 80% of their average earnings over the past 12 months - providing they have been on the books of said agency for those entire 12 months”. I signed up with said agency in October 2018 rather than April 2019, so I’ve easily been on their books more than a year. That makes me that horrible financial liability to the agency that I am entitled to the full whack £2500 (gross) which would be the 80% of the roughly £3200 per month gross I averaged over the past year. I’ve gone from that to zero - and when I asked for furlough, they said “Please hand in your notice”, I’ve said “No Way!” but the anticipated trumped-up dismissal for “gross misconduct” has not been forthcoming, maybe because they cannot actually sack anyone, because it would screw up any claim from the government currently in progress… I dunno. I’ve seen agency working for the old client, as if things are now getting back to normal - but I cannot read if it is the agency I’m working for, or some other subbing agency. The legal way around “not paying me furlough” then - would be to put me back to work, minimum 20% of the hours I used to be doing - and they’d be turning a profit on that then, with or without furlough money paid to myself. I want any such offers in writing though, as I’m no longer taking phone calls, unless I know the call is coming to my landline, and I can record it.

I don’t take “no” for an answer over issues of “Being fiddled on finance”. I’ve got my big red hat on now. :imp:

I wonder how many who scoff at large companies and how they do things saying they’d rather work for companies “where the gaffer knows your name” are sat at home getting nowt whilst those driving for the likes of DHL etc are on furlough getting near their normal pay?

Winseer:
It wasn’t until I read on the Gov.uk website that “zero hours agency workers are entitled to 80% of their average earnings over the past 12 months - providing they have been on the books of said agency for those entire 12 months”.

You really have trouble comprehending what you read don’t you? You should get that “Torreees evil” hard done by union member chip off your shoulder, it’s making you look like a ■■■.

It didn’t say that at all. What it did say is you get either 80% of what you get paid in February or 80% of the average of the last 12 months whichever was higher.

Conor:

Winseer:
It wasn’t until I read on the Gov.uk website that “zero hours agency workers are entitled to 80% of their average earnings over the past 12 months - providing they have been on the books of said agency for those entire 12 months”.

You really have trouble comprehending what you read don’t you? You should get that “Torreees evil” hard done by union member chip off your shoulder, it’s making you look like a ■■■.

It didn’t say that at all. What it did say is you get either 80% of what you get paid in February or 80% of the average of the last 12 months whichever was higher.

…That’s the same amount as far as I’m concerned, as I was flat-out until March 29th… Why split hairs?

Don’t forget that I’m only Left on finance, not a leftie overall.

The reason I don’t vote Labour is because Labour keep on giving suits the authority to rob me and other working folk around the country.
For the past year we keep hearing from Lefties that people like Tory Rees-Mogg ‘wants to steal all your money to become richer at your expense’, but in reality - it is LABOUR councils LABOUR suits, LABOUR elites and LABOUR business people that aim to steal all our jobs and money.

The Tories are merely expected to “Try” on the other hand.

I expect to be voting for the party that trashes people like Mike Ashley, Richard Branson, and Phillip Green during the iterim.
You don’t need to be in power to achieve that btw…

At this moment, I’d love to find out why the police are enforcing the lockdown instead of catching actual criminals, and the government is busy wasting money on crap rather than making sure our entire economy doesn’t collapse because Sunak’s £300billion package “is getting intercepted by the banks and corrupt businesses”:angry:

K&N paying it on amount you earn basis,there is a link on motor transport about it but I can’t get it on here,some getting 100% some 90% some 85% e.t.c.
I haven’t been furloughed myself though yet.