Fully Loaded

OK don’t shoot me for this one.

I’ve been lucky enough to have had a couple of decent rigids, a 6 wheeler and an 8 both running 420’s. Power is not an issue when running fully freighted.

I’m still running a 420 now although now I’m getting up to 44t, but when I do I’m finding some of the hills on the M25 a real slog, down to 35mph today by the A217 junction.

Is this normal or is the old unit a bit tired? up to now I’d never given other artics much consideration as a curtainsider, container or box could be empty or full, you can’t see. I’d sort of assumed that they were either empty or heavy but obviously they’re not all at max weight.

I don’t suppose my R620 :laughing: will be along for a while yet so I’ll have to make do.

Scania 420’s are’nt known for there lack of power. Maybe you could get it chipped? If you keep the revs up it makes a difference i find.

ellies dad:
Scania 420’s are’nt known for there lack of power. Maybe you could get it chipped? If you keep the revs up it makes a difference i find.

Yeah does it, truck i’m driving occasionally at the moment is a 460 Volvo chipped and it makes a huge difference pulling about 40tons, sits on the limiter most of the time.

8wheels:

I’ve been lucky enough to have had a couple of decent rigids, a 6 wheeler and an 8 both running 420’s. Power is not an issue when running fully freighted.

I’m still running a 420 now although now I’m getting up to 44t,

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Ken.

He’s driving artics now not rigids. Although we don’t really carry 44tons or near it often the truck and frdge outfit is 17t I think and so with 30+ palletts (double stacked) it’s sometimes quite heavy, probably 35ton maybe hard to tell. The Scania 420s seem to pull very well, better than our I-shift volvo 480s even in manual mode, might just be an old tired one you’ve got. We had a 480 V8 topline I think it was and it was poor, nowhere near as good as the 420s but I think it’d just had it’s day.

Quinny:

8wheels:

I’m still running a 420 now although now I’m getting up to 44t,

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Ken.

Ok I didn’t make that clear, the point about the rigids was that they were both more than man enough for the job.

I suspect that the old girl is tired, I’ve only got it for a couple of months though.