Fully funded bootcamp-but want my credit card?

Hi, all, yep i read the rules on posting, this ones a bit touchy though.
got a bootcamp hgv placement, but may have blown it? or did i just stop this fool and his money being easily parted ?

so finally started filling in the forms, and this companys T&C’s… it said once signed you are legally bound…
now i could be banned on here for this post? but i am posting a screenshot which is the T&C’s but is generic it does NOt say the company name etc, you will see the first bit clearly states you are fully funded by the Government, it will not cost you anything…then as you go on-it basically states-the training provider can state something that gets you off the course-then you will be fully charged the entire course cost plus VAT ! so are they trying to get paid twice? i know for a fact if i gave them my debit card details and they took thousands out my bank, which i only have £80 left now til payday, i’d be in big trouble and way overdrawn…i just cannot see that this is right…i am not in a position to risk losing thousands of pounds, so these T&C’s have put me right off.
The question is does this sound perfectly normal to you? if you could not risk losing £2k from your bank-would you sign these terms?

If they were a bit fly by night, they only need a flimsy excuse to boot you off, and your bank account is empty and you have no licence anyway…i have waited 15 years for my chance to come and change my life, but i probably have just blown it by being too careful?

I reckon you’ve dodged a bullet there , I think they’re con artists

Thanks for your response Blue Estate, i feel a bit 50/50 with the issue that’s why i posted it here, i’m sure i’ll get varied opinions, and am expecting most replies to say no way, you are being paranoid, firms have to follow criteria , they wouldn’t do that to you etc !
but it worries me the way it is written that for the trainee, yes there is a clear risk, they can empty your credit card or bank account thats the crux of the matter and can the trainee truly afford to take that risk or chance of losing £2k, if so sign the document ! However i decided NOT to, because i simply cannot afford to lose the gamble.

PMd you

Seems like a reasonable condition to me.
It’s up to you what chances do you think there are that you will not turn up?
I didn’t read anything about being kicked off the course. I also didn’t read anything saying you would be prevented from turning up, therefore even if you had been kicked off the course all you need to do is still turn up and they could not charge you.
Probably better to give a debit card number rather than a credit card, then just keep your bank account empty without an arranged overdraft and then they will not be able to take anything out of your bank account.
So I hope you feel reassured to proceed.

hi stu675, the first point you made is it seems reasonable to you-but to me it didn’t /does not, and it’s o.k to disagree ! the point is for my circumstances, i’ve heard so many scams, seen rogue traders liek most people on t.v etc, so am always falling for a con.
To me, if they are being paid by the Government, for a placement-they should not require the candidate to be prepared to cover the full cost of the course just in case…basically i just can’t afford the risk, even £2k loss and i’d have to file for bankruptcy, yep seriously.

my income-expenditure for bills, car payment etc is breaking even, had a payfreeze for last 4 years-and am wanting to do the hgv course for a better job, to get a significant payrise and get out of debt. iv’e got 30 years driving experience, no accidents ever, no points.

Why would i not turn up, well that’s not a possibility, if i say i’ll be there. then i will.
i’ve already started revising mock tests, finding out about hazard perception, module 4, show me tell me and it’s all just to get a head start and learn as much as possible before i start a course.

I have contacted a different provider, and am now waiting for a medical to be arranged.
my son has also had problems with the company i am writing about, they wont answer the phone, they haven’t replied to emails etc even after a week, i just think they aren’t very good, maybe i expect better from a professional company-but no matter now, i have labelled them as a bit suspect, and voted with my feet to go elsewhere-so nothing lost here but a bit of time.

sonicboom2012:

Why would i not turn up, well that’s not a possibility, if i say i’ll be there. then i will.

All I’m saying is that they don’t know you, so that means nothing to them, and in theory it means that you are not putting yourself at risk.

But if you’ve decided you don’t trust this operator, then you’re well advised to go elsewhere if you can.
Good luck [emoji106]

The provider probably doesn’t get paid unless you complete the course so they want to cover their costs if you don’t.

Thanks Gentlemen for the responses and your thought’s.
I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to offer your advice and opinions, it has been very thought provoking.

I think there’s enough choices and information now, to be able to lock this post. So thank’s again to all who responded. :slight_smile: