Fuller 9 speed shift pattern

Bewick:

Dave the Renegade:

Bewick:
Although not quite in the Heavy Hauler league this Atki Borderer we ran was fairly unique as it had a ■■■■■■■ 220, Fuller 610 and Eaton 2 speed axle.It was delivered new at the end of '72 and was our 3rd new Atki.the one before it also had an Eaton axle,but single speed and a top speed of circa 57/8 mph.So I thought lets see if we could “gear up” the 3rd one! We stuck the two speed shift straight onto the existing axle ratio,oh dear oh dear!!! You had to be doing over 70mph to change up into top(20th)!!! It was so high geared. So we had to change the crown wheel and pinion for a lower ratio which was then spot on! The Atki would still do 70 in top this time but it also pulled like a train with having 20 gears to go at! I’m not kidding when I say it could “urinate” all over 8LXB’s and 240 F88’s at the time as it was far better geared than them.However it did need a decent driver(which it had) to be able to make it perform to the best of it’s ability.Cheers Dennis.

A load of ■■■■■■■■ Cowboys

Too many gears for you my son!!! The 4 in the TK was about what you’d be able to manage!!!For the first 18 months this Atki was doing 3 round trips to the London area then we sent it to Daventry when we started our night trunks where it ran to West Thurrock and then re-loaded at Tilbury with woodpulp for Beetham.

I wasn’t on TK’s any longer than I could help Dennis,everything else I drove had 5 or 6 gears,plus a two speed axle.I would have driven your Atki with no problems,driven harder things than those :laughing: .
Cheers Dave.

This tractor would have done you then Dave! ■■■■■■■ 220/DB 6 speed/group axle.We got it new in late '73 and it went to work on nights to Daventry and then Lancs to W.■■■■■■■ on days.Seen here when brand new,and on our Trade Plates in the Mill at Beetham.

Bewick:

Dave the Renegade:

Bewick:
Although not quite in the Heavy Hauler league this Atki Borderer we ran was fairly unique as it had a ■■■■■■■ 220, Fuller 610 and Eaton 2 speed axle.It was delivered new at the end of '72 and was our 3rd new Atki.the one before it also had an Eaton axle,but single speed and a top speed of circa 57/8 mph.So I thought lets see if we could “gear up” the 3rd one! We stuck the two speed shift straight onto the existing axle ratio,oh dear oh dear!!! You had to be doing over 70mph to change up into top(20th)!!! It was so high geared. So we had to change the crown wheel and pinion for a lower ratio which was then spot on! The Atki would still do 70 in top this time but it also pulled like a train with having 20 gears to go at! I’m not kidding when I say it could “urinate” all over 8LXB’s and 240 F88’s at the time as it was far better geared than them.However it did need a decent driver(which it had) to be able to make it perform to the best of it’s ability.Cheers Dennis.

A load of ■■■■■■■■ Cowboys

Too many gears for you my son!!! The 4 in the TK was about what you’d be able to manage!!!For the first 18 months this Atki was doing 3 round trips to the London area then we sent it to Daventry when we started our night trunks where it ran to West Thurrock and then re-loaded at Tilbury with woodpulp for Beetham.

Dennis would you just use the high range of the 2 speed in high range in the gear box ( like a spitter ) similar to a 13 speed fuller or just as an 11th gear as the fuller ratios would be sufficient most of the time :question: it would have been a really good tool with that set up.
cheers Johnnie

Bewick:
This tractor would have done you then Dave! ■■■■■■■ 220/DB 6 speed/group axle.We got it new in late '73 and it went to work on nights to Daventry and then Lancs to W.■■■■■■■ on days.Seen here when brand new,and on our Trade Plates in the Mill at Beetham.

The lorry that would have done me in Dennis hasn’t been built yet.From here to Waternish on the Isle of Skye in a Transit 578 miles in a day on hand controls,with no tiredness.Driving a lorry is a piece off ■■■■ :laughing: .
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

Bewick:

The lorry that would have done me in Dennis hasn’t been built yet.From here to Waternish on the Isle of Skye in a Transit 578 miles in a day on hand controls,with no tiredness.Driving a lorry is a piece off ■■■■ :laughing: .
Cheers Dave.

Wrong end of the stick Dave!! I meant it would have been “eminently” suitable for you “sir”!! It didn’t have Power steering though and it is the only motor I ever had to pay over “list” for (£250 cash) but at the time new chassis were hard to come by!!! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Dave the Renegade:

Bewick:

Cheers Dave.

Wrong end of the stick Dave!! I meant it would have been “eminently” suitable for you “sir”!! It didn’t have Power steering though and it is the only motor I ever had to pay over “list” for (£250 cash) but at the time new chassis were hard to come by!!! Cheers Dennis.

Sorry Dennis,misread your post,yes it would have suited me.My boss bought an Atkinson eight legger just after my accident followed by several Gardner engined lorries.I would have loved a go in some of those,plenty of character,real lorries.
Cheers Dave.

A few Fullers:

And a Foden S83

And a Foden S39