Full Time Job to Full time Agency (is it worth it)

try if you dont mind tramping asking if you could work for another dpeot through the week but get back your way on a fri/sat?

i have just got a start at an agency as a recruitment consultant and cover chesterfield as part of my area so if i get anything perm or temp to perm in will drop you a pm!

I did the same thing last year. I worked in drainage for a few years but wanted to change ,I was not happy doing it anymore even though the cash was good. I went with an agency working for ASDA, mainly covering fri, sat & sun. I also got put into DHL and eventually to another general haulage company. I was asked if I fancied working full time doing night trunks by this company so I’ve done that ever since.
I was advised not to give up full time for agency work but it’s worked out for me, it all depends on what you expect from it. You will not be guaranteed work, regular cash or places you like but, if that’s what you want to do then do it. It’s easier to get work when you are going to different places because you tend to hear of more opportunities coming up. Good luck.

I very nearly gave up my job for full time agency work, I just couldnt risk not having money coming in if work dried up. I think it can work out well if your not living on a tight budget. afterall, you get paid a much better rate on agency. I’ve spoken to loads of guys who work permanently for agency and they wouldn’t do any different. they can choose there days and hours, and still get holidays just like us. Plus they are on a better hourly rate for doing the same job.
who’s the fool■■? Lol. :confused:

at the end of the day pal its upto you, might work out well. if your gonna do it nows the time, things will steadily get busier as Christmas gets closer. just make sure you have yourself sorted before January, cos as we both know, work dries up for a couple of month.

haribo4000:
I very nearly gave up my job for full time agency work, I just couldnt risk not having money coming in if work dried up. I think it can work out well if your not living on a tight budget. afterall, you get paid a much better rate on agency. I’ve spoken to loads of guys who work permanently for agency and they wouldn’t do any different. they can choose there days and hours, and still get holidays just like us. Plus they are on a better hourly rate for doing the same job.
who’s the fool■■? Lol. :confused:

All depends on your relationship with the agency. Knowing the agency in question, I wouldn’t advise anyone to give up a job to go full time with them. IMO you need more than 1 agency to make it work properly, and the one in question want you to work solely for them, go else where and you won’t get anything for several weeks.

cheers war, appreciate it and that would be great,

in the mean time il stick it out , cheers for all the advice peeps

worksopboy:
Hiyas i currently work in the private sector on class 2’s on council highways, but drive weekend mainly stobarts ,been driving ce since sept last year and want to go full time employed by a blue chip company so to speak, but has anyone taken the plunge as to leaving there full time job (iv been working for my current employers near on 16yr since i left school) and gone to an agency working permanantly and ended up employed by a firm, what i want to know is 1) has anyone done this and 2) was it worth it? and 3) do many agencies do temp to perm roles ,any advice or experiances would be great. may i add i am desperate to get behind the wheel permanantly and looking at any options to get more experiance

cheers folks

it’s always confused me how people can work all week then go driving on agency at weekends, how do you get around your 45 hr weekly rest ect :question:
even if you were working out of scope you would still have to put that down as other work as a manual entry, because you are now driving in scope at the weekend, just a thought :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

As we are local authority at min wildfire we are exempt and run by domestic rules therefore we don’t use tachos during the week, although after doin my cpc last week thru my company that is subject to change, plus the fact that I don’t do every saturday I get my 45hr weekly rest I book a lot of hols to use as getting drving experiance too so there are ways but I’m sure it will be clamped on soon?

haribo4000:
I wouldnt do it mate,
Dont jack for agency when you dont need too, I know its pants where you are but just be patient.
Family first and all that!

Wait for full time job, keep applying bod!

good advice^^^^

worksopboy:
the latest news is after the 90 days they want to get there own lads in to do the work (apparantly) iv applyed for VR redundancy the bosses say that is not an option also my base depot is not forced to be where i am now i could have to travel 50 odd mile away to say leeds or leicester etc its all rumours at the minute im just looking out for number 1 as im married with a lil baby so weighing up the options and this was one of them, I applied at NFT alfreton and that job closed yesterday so hopefully i may hear from them :s

I think there’s a limit as to the distance you can be relocated to and over this they would have to offer redundancy to those who don’t want to move that far? I’m not 100% sure as it’s years since I was involved in this stuff but you can call ACAS who will be able to offer you free advice.

worksopboy:
As we are local authority at min wildfire we are exempt and run by domestic rules therefore we don’t use tachos during the week, although after doin my cpc last week thru my company that is subject to change, plus the fact that I don’t do every saturday I get my 45hr weekly rest I book a lot of hols to use as getting drving experiance too so there are ways but I’m sure it will be clamped on soon?

i understand that i thought you would be under domestic during the week, but you still have to do a manual for all the hours you have worked for that week, when you start working under eu rules, it has to be entered as other work. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

transportsfriend.org/hours/mixed.html

In this day and age, and we’re still in a recession mind, I’d stay with the full time job. Maybe do a bit to fill in on the weekends but stick with the main job. Unless you hate it, it’s depressing or they sack you :wink:

wildfire:
i understand that i thought you would be under domestic during the week, but you still have to do a manual for all the hours you have worked for that week, when you start working under eu rules, it has to be entered as other work. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

transportsfriend.org/hours/mixed.html

Very true, but as he states he doesn’t drive every weekend so he is fine.

The agencies probably won’t confirm in writing this promise of full time work. It would be ‘well we’ll try and get you work’ and ‘things can change at a moments notice’. It would better to go from one full time job to another as Agencies are temporary, aren’t they! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

to be honest yes most agency work is on an ad-hoc basis but i have in the past had quite a few temp to perm and also several companies where a decent driver would be looked after and taken on.