Full time employment to agency work

Hi has anyone ever left a full time job to work for an agency and had a positive outcome? I’d love to hear anyone’s experiences of doing this. Thanks

Yes years ago to look after the kids.

You have to remember work was better as was the agency’s .
If your going the agency route now I would go ltd company .

Stay AWAY from umbrella schemes

done it a few times but normally because I hated where I was, this and I also get bored doing the same job day in day out.

I have gone from full time to agency years ago but my circumstances were different then, I lived with my parents and as long as I got at least 2/3 days per week I was happy.
I wouldn’t trust any agency as far as I could throw them. But on the other hand it depends on your personal circumstances and how flexible you are/need to be.
But if you need a guaranteed wage every week then full time is the only way, imo.

Packed up the cars after 20 years.
Did about a year and half on three agencies, neither of whom i’d recommend but i did get back my health and state of mind, both were in need of change.

Knocked on the door where i am now, got the offer and ripped their arm off, easiest shortest hours job i’ve ever had, salaried but earn more per every hour worked than on the cars, leaving for agency worked for me.

I’d have no problem doing the same again to get out of a job that takes the ■■■■ or i came to detest if i could see no other way out.

Used to do it regularly.

Get fed up in one place too long. When time comes just quit and jump back on the agency carousel. Get sent to a few places, some good some bad. Works well as you are under no obligation to stay anywhere. Soon as you find a place that is a good fit go full time. Then usually after a while start getting fed up getting pushed by the boss/overloaded/defects never repaired etc. Jump back on agency. And so on.

Comes down to your attitude with the agency. You usually gotta be flexible or they stop ringing if you are always saying no. Really crap places go once then tell them never again. If your reasons are valid they normally accept it.

Recently though agencies seem to be getting a lot worse. They’ll try to scalp wages, BS extra charges. 45 taken off you unpaid etc. They can be very cut throat.

Good thing is though… There are plenty of them. If you don’t like em just sign up with another.

I’ve always had regular work that way but you need to keep your eyes open or they will take the ■■■■ very quickly.

Never touch Umbrella.

I would say it would be ok, providing you don’t need a regular weekly/monthly income, from what I`ve read and been told is the fact that agency work can be a hit and miss, they have very quiet periods like just after xmas etc…I don’t believe you get holiday pay…but others will correct me, personally, I have never ever worked for an agency.

nick2008:
If your going the agency route now I would go ltd company .

Stay AWAY from umbrella schemes

Both are not in compliance with HMRC rules. Ltd Company unless you’re going to run your own agency and send in other drivers is disguised employment.

Looooo:
Recently though agencies seem to be getting a lot worse. They’ll try to scalp wages, BS extra charges. 45 taken off you unpaid etc. They can be very cut throat.

I guess you’re “self employed” with them. I don’t recognise that description of any agency I’ve worked for. If I’ve had a 45 taken off its because that company don’t pay its drivers either. Can’t scalp my wages as I’m PAYE, can’t do BS charges as I’m PAYE.

Yup. Been Ltd. driver for a while. (not SE but PAYE through my co.) I know you are not a fan Connor. I have a main customer over Summer and use a couple of agencies over Winter. My Co. also does a couple of other transport related services so I have a number of varied customers so not too worried about the disguised employment bit.

I change agencies every now and then just to mix things up or when they start going downhill and they are deff getting worse.

Years ago. 8h minimum. OT at time and a half. Easy

Then holiday pay became an issue so they said we’ll pay you a bit less but top it up with “holiday pay” so you will get the same per hour. (20odd years ago mind)

Then places started saying we don’t pay for 45m break.

Then OT is at Time and a Smidge. And that contract only guarantees 4h.

All above was on PAYE.

Since I went Ltd. (for my own reasons, not pushed by agency) some have tried to force drivers neg. insurance. All take the 45 off. More want an induction/assesment day UNPAID at your own expense. Or want you to arrive 15m before clocking in to fill in the disclaimer sheets, unpaid again, that sort of crap, erosion of your conditions.

By scalp I mean things like being paid day rate for a night shift, followed by promises to “investigate” and resulting in eventual apologies. Oh, so we did, “no problem”… they tell me.

I like agencies, they work well for casual quick employment on easy terms but it works both ways. They are also sausage factories and they will treat you badly if you don’t keep an eye on your timesheet/pay or you accept the terrible place everyone else refuses to be sent etc.

Once you have a good relationship with agent and client by doing a few late notice or unpopular shifts to show willing you can keep the work rolling and everyone is happy. You just need to use them with your eyes open.

Been a bit quiet in Jan Feb sometimes but nothing that presented a problem, if you know and plan for it.

Did it once, during the pre ee peak in 2004. Left a bloody good full time gig when sainsburys opened Waltham point. Was clearing almost £900 for 6 nights paye. Was earning more than I could spend. Had a falling out with the agency over a week off and that was the end of that. Black balled, and only done a short stint between full time jobs ever since

I left Stobarts in December and have been limping with ADR network for the last 5 months. Done pretty well in fairness, I got 4 or 5 days a week in Jan/Feb and pretty much 5 or 6 subject to my card since. But now the mileage rip off has been snookered, as Nick say’s " Don’t bother with umbrella anymore ".

I have started with Downton’s today and I probably won’t go limping again because HMRC seem to be determined to clamp down on all this (let’s be honest) agency led tax evasion.

A Polish fella has just jumped from full time where I work to go LTD with the agency we use, he done 60 hours every week and got fed up paying loads of tax so decided to quit and go with the agency. He seems happy enough with it but I’ve no idea if it’s panning out how he wants it too

Looooo:
Yup. Been Ltd. driver for a while. (not SE but PAYE through my co.) I know you are not a fan Connor.

I am if you’re doing it properly and if the agency are paying a proper S/E rate and not just a quid an hour extra - that is the main thing I have a beef with. Virtually all the agencies in Hull barring the one I’m with pay just a quid an hour extra over PAYE. Mine pays £3 which works out about right in regards to the holiday pay you don’t get and employers NI you’re having to find.

Thought you was already a full blown Limper Conor? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Signed up with three agencies lately and all three are full of crap had one lass trying to explain to me about wtd had to stop her and say with all due respect pet I have been a driver for 30 odd years am well aware how the rules work she was talking to me like I was new into driving like a newbie

xichrisxi:
Thought you was already a full blown Limper Conor? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Yep, got the badge as well but not as Ltd.

Turn n Burn:
Signed up with three agencies lately and all three are full of crap had one lass trying to explain to me about wtd had to stop her and say with all due respect pet I have been a driver for 30 odd years am well aware how the rules work she was talking to me like I was new into driving like a newbie

You have to remember that a lot of their drivers are newbies or as thick as dog muck so they automatically assume you’re stupid. Doesn’t take long for them to work out you’re not when you get going and then they treat you as you should be and tend to give you the better work.

Left a full time class 2 job I hated to slum it on agency using my class 1. Ended up working 5 days a week at DHL through one agency that I had previously worked for.

It was good as I could then apply for only full time jobs that I wanted and go to any interviews no bother, ended up doing just DHL for nearly 3 months before I found the full time job I’m still in now nearly 2yrs on.

I actually trusted that agency though when they said they could give me work before quiting but that was built on previous good experience with them. Wouldn’t quit a full time job for one of those agencies that post up fake jobs and quote wages you get one day a year if you meet some insane criteria.

I did it in 2005 when agency rates were worth going for and you could do quite well out of the agency work offered.

These days it seems to be that some companies are now cottoning on to the alleged driver shortage and are paying their employees accordingly, and in certain cases more than agency drivers are getting paid that are self employed, and that is why I am now looking to go back the other way.

Look at it this way: (Hypothetical scenario)

Agency. £11.00 ph, zero hours, no holiday pay or perks.

Employee. £11.00 ph, guaranteed hours, holiday pay and perks.

Ken.