Full-sized sleeper LV-cabbed ERFs

[zb]
anorak:
In addition to its unusual chassis, this is the only A series on the thread with the full cab. The other square-grille LVs have the short sleeper cab, like the Eric Vick one (I reckon the one pulling the log trailer is a conversion- the rain gutter appears not to continue to the rear section of the cab). Look at the rear quarterlights- they are now level, previous versions of the cab having the “dropped” quarterlights.

Can anyone identify the vehicle to the left of the ERF?

Edit- it looks like a Seddon, but it has a set-forward axle and what looks like an MAN wheelarch. Wierd.
Second edit- I reckon it’s a 2MV (or MV, or 3 MV or whatever the forward-axle version was) ERF with an MAN wheelarch grafted on, for some reason. I’m probably wrong.

Anorak,
It looks like a Foden to me, not sure of model but I think an S40, there is one in preservation but cannot find a picture of it, Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:
Anorak,
It looks like a Foden to me, not sure of model but I think an S40, there is one in preservation but cannot find a picture of it, Cheer’s Pete

Full marks Mr. Smith. A quick look in Google images confirms that the lorry is indeed a Foden S40. They had wheelarches similar to MANs.

[zb]
anorak:

pete smith:
Anorak,

Full marks Mr. Smith. A quick look in Google images confirms that the lorry is indeed a Foden S40. They had wheelarches similar to MANs.

Found one!

pete smith:
Found one!

That’s an S41. S40s have a shorter “bonnet”.

We could call this thread Pedants’ Corner, but I am sure someone would then say that it is not a corner. :laughing:

[zb]
anorak:

pete smith:
Found one!

We could call this thread Pedants’ Corner, but I am sure someone would then say that it is not a corner. :laughing:

How about this one then :smiley: :smiley:

pete smith:

[zb]
anorak:

pete smith:
Found one!

Hello again Pete. Perhaps we should call it pedants’ quadrangle, just to afford us the luxury of more corners! I do believe the S40/S41 was actually the same Motor Panels Mk4 metal cab that was introduced in '68 at the European full width of 2.5m. The short version was used by Seddon, ERF, Guy, FTF and RABA. The tall sleeper version was used for the ERF ‘European’, Scammell Crusader and French Mack. Foden’s short day-cab version ranked along with the Seddon and Guy. The S41 had a more pronounced snout to accommodate the Gardner 8LXB and the 14-litre ■■■■■■■■ Robert

robert1952:

pete smith:

[zb]
anorak:

pete smith:
Found one!

Hello again Pete. Perhaps we should call it pedants’ quadrangle, just to afford us the luxury of more corners! I do believe the S40/S41 was actually the same Motor Panels Mk4 metal cab that was introduced in '68 at the European full width of 2.5m. The short version was used by Seddon, ERF, Guy, FTF and RABA. The tall sleeper version was used for the ERF ‘European’, Scammell Crusader and French Mack. Foden’s short day-cab version ranked along with the Seddon and Guy. The S41 had a more pronounced snout to accommodate the Gardner 8LXB and the 14-litre ■■■■■■■■ Robert

Please do not mention 8 pot Gardners and Guy’s :smiley:

pete smith:

robert1952:

Please do not mention 8 pot Gardners and Guy’s :smiley:

Heavens, yes! I must take more water with it. :laughing:

robert1952:
… I do believe the S40/S41 was actually the same Motor Panels Mk4 metal cab that was introduced in '68 at the European full width of 2.5m. The short version was used by Seddon, ERF, Guy, FTF and RABA. The tall sleeper version was used for the ERF ‘European’, Scammell Crusader and French Mack. Foden’s short day-cab version ranked along with the Seddon and Guy. The S41 had a more pronounced snout to accommodate the Gardner 8LXB and the 14-litre ■■■■■■■■ Robert

The Seddon and Guy used the narrower version, the same as the ERF MV. Was it this or the wide (MW, Crusader, Mack, FTF) one which was on the S40? It’s difficult to tell. I think the S40 might have the narrow version, but with a split 'screen, although I am far from sure.

I almost started twitching again for a moment! Have I been dreaming or was there a song about “Forty 8-pots climbing the M6, All bound for Maddiston, there in just two ticks”? :wink: :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:
… I do believe the S40/S41 was actually the same Motor Panels Mk4 metal cab that was introduced in '68 at the European full width of 2.5m. The short version was used by Seddon, ERF, Guy, FTF and RABA. The tall sleeper version was used for the ERF ‘European’, Scammell Crusader and French Mack. Foden’s short day-cab version ranked along with the Seddon and Guy. The S41 had a more pronounced snout to accommodate the Gardner 8LXB and the 14-litre ■■■■■■■■ Robert

The Seddon and Guy used the narrower version, the same as the ERF MV. Was it this or the wide (MW, Crusader, Mack, FTF) one which was on the S40? It’s difficult to tell. I think the S40 might have the narrow version, but with a split 'screen, although I am far from sure.

I think it’s the full-width short cab. Robert

Yes- the thickness of the pillar between the back window and quarterlight shows it:

Question- the S40 shown has a curved split 'screen, but that 3MW has two flat screens- were all MWs (apart from the 7) equipped with flat glass?

[zb]
anorak:
Yes- the thickness of the pillar between the back window and quarterlight shows it:

Question- the S40 shown has a curved split 'screen, but that 3MW has two flat screens- were all MWs (apart from the 7) equipped with flat glass?

I’d say the 3/5/MWs had curved screen, Anorak. Robert

ERF MW.jpg

S40 and French Mack curved, Crusader and 3MW flat, by my reckoning.

The 3MW looks flat but the 5MW doesn’t: I wonder if the windscreens were part of the upgrade, especially as ingress of water was cited as one of the reasons the European operators requested that particular upgrade. Here are two interior pics of the 3MW. Robert

…and a 5MW showing ‘with and without’ glass! R

13337062845_6fc4dc4065.jpg

Quite complicated with all those ERF threads but perhaps I might solve
some of the mysteries. I recall the Van Driessche ERF (6x4) was used at
the steelworks SIDMAR in Zelzate, nowadays a part of Arcelormittal at
a time when we were involved on the asphalt for their yard. It had the
old cab but later a cab similar to the NGC, so that again as with the HYE
for Cauvas that is also the case for the Van Driesche.

Also some ERF-chassis were seen at Cockerill-yard in Seraing once the first
parent-company for ■■■■■■■ in Europe. No pictures.

Luc

robert1952:

I don’t know what this is. It has flat screens and 5MW lamps, but it looks like the lamps have been fitted to a 3MW cab, to me. More photos needed, methinks.

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:

I don’t know what this is. It has flat screens and 5MW lamps, but it looks like the lamps have been fitted to a 3MW cab, to me. More photos needed, methinks.

Here’s one. I have several more pics of those export NZ 6x4s and they appear to be the same as this blue and white one. Robert

OWENSMWERFlo.jpg

Here’s a 5MW, which clearly has flat glass:
flickrhivemind.net/blackmagic.cg … 6407358987
Maybe it was only LHD 5MWs that had curved glass?

Edit- whoops- that’s a 6. Apologies for misleading.