Full-sized sleeper LV-cabbed ERFs

Thats it Dave , but it was fitted with wedge which matched with a fitting on the back of the chassis so it was rigid, but could move up and down in the slot.

DISPATCHER:
Thats it Dave , but it was fitted with wedge which matched with a fitting on the back of the chassis so it was rigid, but could move up and down in the slot.

Cheers Chris, I knew I’d seen something like that…

Apologies for kind of hijacking the thread…but it’s all useful info I guess… :blush:

Fergie47:

DISPATCHER:

Cheers Chris, I knew I’d seen something like that…

Apologies for kind of hijacking the thread…but it’s all useful info I guess… :blush:

Absolutely no problem! I like the organic nature of these threads. Robert :smiley:

Bakers had three 6x4 ERF LV’s with full twin bunk sleeper cabs, WOW 675J, WOW 680J plus a H reg. They also had several 4x2’s with full sleeper cabs, at lest one of these had a cooker and sink fitted!

My uncle Phil Dibden (RIP) drove WOW680J for many years.

Any more photos, LR Man? Good contribution, by the way.

PS The A series cabs are noticeably shorter than the earlier types. Not much room for a kitchen in those!

LR Man:
Bakers had three 6x4 ERF LV’s with full twin bunk sleeper cabs, WOW 675J, WOW 680J plus a H reg. They also had several 4x2’s with full sleeper cabs, at lest one of these had a cooker and sink fitted!

My uncle Phil Dibden (RIP) drove WOW680J for many years.

@ LR Man: Good pics and info - cheers! There are a couple of pics of the 4x2s you mentioned at the top of this page.

@ anorak: yes, I thought so too but wasn’t sure if was an optical illusion!

Robert

erf-lv-12.jpg

Thanks anorak and robert1952. Here are a couple more of Bakers 6x4 WOW680J fitted with a Diamond T ballast box, not the best quality though.

More good stuff.

Look at the rear quarterlights on the “long” LV cab. Why are they lower than the other windows? The day cab LVs had all the windows at the same height.

[zb]
anorak:
More good stuff.

Look at the rear quarterlights on the “long” LV cab. Why are they lower than the other windows? The day cab LVs had all the windows at the same height.

Going to guess, something to do with the top bunk fixings inside ?..or some structural need, otherwise for esthetic reasons they’d have leveled them off…

Or for rearward vision of heavy haulage equipment - a precursor to that odd lower rear window in the 7MW cab (?). Though I have to say that structural reasons sound more plausible. Robert

Here is a another closer view.

Hi Robert,
I knew that reg no rang a bell in my fading mind! Hope you don’t mind me moving your pic, at a guess I’d say your pic is a demo off Beeches and then Bird’s bought it, Saviem mentioned it had a 180 ■■■■■■■ and a six speed ZF in her, Cheer’s Pete

7510566346_f85385ac18.jpg

agb120002.jpg

Well matched! Robert :slight_smile:

robert1952:
When the A-series 4x2 tractive unit came out in the early ‘70s, it received a facelifted LV cab, the 7LV. There were even a few full-sized sleepers on A-series chassis, like these (top two by Bubbleman):

Of course only the bottom one of these two is an ‘A Series’ chassis with a 7LV cab, the top one is fitted with an 8LV cab, and is most definitely not an ‘A Series’ chassis.

What is interesting is the white painted 6x4 wrecker with double bumpers on the previous page. It’s a 7LV cab, and from research we have done before on this vehicle I know it’s a genuine 6x4 ‘A Series’ tractor, one of just a tiny handful to be built. The double chrome bumpers were fitted after build, but the sleeper cab was original.

ERF:

robert1952:
When the A-series 4x2 tractive unit came out in the early ‘70s, it received a facelifted LV cab, the 7LV. There were even a few full-sized sleepers on A-series chassis, like these (top two by Bubbleman):

Of course only the bottom one of these two is an ‘A Series’ chassis with a 7LV cab, the top one is fitted with an 8LV cab, and is most definitely not an ‘A Series’ chassis.

What is interesting is the white painted 6x4 wrecker with double bumpers on the previous page. It’s a 7LV cab, and from research we have done before on this vehicle I know it’s a genuine 6x4 ‘A Series’ tractor, one of just a tiny handful to be built. The double chrome bumpers were fitted after build, but the sleeper cab was original.

Hello ‘ERF’! Sorry, yes I’ve just looked and that first one on page 1 has, as you say, the set back 8LV cab :blush: . Your comments on the 6x4 wrecker are most interesting as I didn’t know that any 6x4 A-series tractors were built :open_mouth: . Here’s a picture of another one: I rather assume that this one is a showground conversion job. Cheers, Robert :slight_smile:

ERF A series 6x4.JPG

robert1952:

ERF:

robert1952:

Hello ‘ERF’! Sorry, yes I’ve just looked and that first one on page 1 has, as you say, the set back 8LV cab :blush: . Your comments on the 6x4 wrecker are most interesting as I didn’t know that any 6x4 A-series tractors were built :open_mouth: . Here’s a picture of another one: I rather assume that this one is a showground conversion job. Cheers, Robert :slight_smile:

Robert, I think the picture of the A series above was originally a 4x2 new to Calor Gas?

pete smith:

robert1952:

ERF:

robert1952:

==
Robert, I think the picture of the A series above was originally a 4x2 new to Calor Gas?

Ah! Well spotted. Robert

In addition to its unusual chassis, this is the only A series on the thread with the full cab. The other square-grille LVs have the short sleeper cab, like the Eric Vick one (I reckon the one pulling the log trailer is a conversion- the rain gutter appears not to continue to the rear section of the cab). Look at the rear quarterlights- they are now level, previous versions of the cab having the “dropped” quarterlights.

Can anyone identify the vehicle to the left of the ERF?

Edit- it looks like a Seddon, but it has a set-forward axle and what looks like an MAN wheelarch. Wierd.
Second edit- I reckon it’s a 2MV (or MV, or 3 MV or whatever the forward-axle version was) ERF with an MAN wheelarch grafted on, for some reason. I’m probably wrong.

[zb]
anorak:
In addition to its unusual chassis, this is the only A series on the thread with the full cab. The other square-grille LVs have the short sleeper cab, like the Eric Vick one (I reckon the one pulling the log trailer is a conversion- the rain gutter appears not to continue to the rear section of the cab). Look at the rear quarterlights- they are now level, previous versions of the cab having the “dropped” quarterlights.

Can anyone identify the vehicle to the left of the ERF?

Again, well-spotted. And yes, I agree with each of your points above. Robert