Full size artic refresher midlands needed

ello all, I have an assessment for class 1, & feel I could do with a refresher/training day in a full size artic before I take on the assessment
reversing is the main thing that worries me

who is there in the midlands I can do this with, cheers all much appreciated!

I know they are incredibly busy but try Peter Smythe, the forum sponsor, they may be able to fit you in at some point

which bit of midlands is best for you to do a 4 hour refresher

I’m Coventry but can travel a little not one for taking chances, that’s why I want to do a bit of refresher training & get the reversing back in my head, its a different ball game on the artics & I have been putting off trying to get work since passing my test as I have had regular work on class2 & 7.5t

wanna get it done asap would like to do a blind side reverse incase they drop that on me on assessment, I completely admit I am ■■■■ reversing a tractor trailer unit!!! the only time I have done it is my training & test, never once reversed a trailer in my life but spent two years towing cars around the uk lol :smiley: I just never needed to reverse one, regret not practicing it now but hey ho! only one way to learn is do it isn’t it

I want to make a good impression on my assessment though! treat it like the test itself! no ■■■■■■ about!

There used to be a company called roadrunner lgv training in Cov which would have been ok for this but it seems they may have gone

Try DATA academy just off the end of the M69 in Leicester - bet they can fit you in for 4 hours perhaps on a Saturday morning
plenty of empty ind estates on a sat am to practice on :smiley:

right i’ll give them a go rog thankyou!!! I was going to train with Data seem a good bunch!!! (could not think of their name for ages) it was one place I know had a full size artic but just could not think of the name, I think I had some sort of brain blank! when I did my class 1 I trained in an auto with a short trailer, not sure on the length but it was the same size as the short ones spar supermarkets/nisa use!

I don’t mind auto’s as where I have an assessment most of there units are auto I think there are only 2 manuals, the last manual I drove was a slapper range change! in a class 2 box-back on sunday, I drive a small class 2 steel truck in the week which is an 8 speed manual but its just like a car gearbox! I also drive 7.5t at weekends when I get the work

haven’t used a manual with a switch on the stick for ages!!! & only driven an auto about 5 times in 3 years, i’ll give most vehicles/gearbox’s a go-all experience! ya never know when ya need to drive something different!

whats the average length of a full size trailer? I cant remember, I know some at the place I have assessment are 50footers with rear steer (I think)

nervoustimes:
I’m Coventry but can travel a little not one for taking chances, that’s why I want to do a bit of refresher training & get the reversing back in my head, its a different ball game on the artics & I have been putting off trying to get work since passing my test as I have had regular work on class2 & 7.5t

wanna get it done asap would like to do a blind side reverse incase they drop that on me on assessment, I completely admit I am [zb] reversing a tractor trailer unit!!! the only time I have done it is my training & test, never once reversed a trailer in my life but spent two years towing cars around the uk lol :smiley: I just never needed to reverse one, regret not practicing it now but hey ho! only one way to learn is do it isn’t it

I want to make a good impression on my assessment though! treat it like the test itself! no ■■■■■■ about!

In my experience most places will give you some lea way with your reversing, unless its sainsburys or tesco. There more interested in if your gonna bend there shiny new truck or trailer. So heres my tip of the day GO SLOW SLOW SLOW… Treat it as you would in a test. The assessor will be asking you what youve been doing,be honest with the guy as hell know within 3 mins if youve been ■■■■■■■■■■■ him. Take a couple of shunts to get on a bay. Hes not an examiner, hes there to see if your gonna be safe in one of the companies trucks. Take it nice n easy,check your mirrors every 5 secs or so, especially at any "obstacles ", roundabouts etc…mirrors n speed,keep your distance from vehs in front,just make sure its a safe drive,dont sweat the reverse,just get it on a bay without hitting anything and youll ■■■■ it…any questions and your more than welcome to pm me…
Good luck

if i’m honest I reckon it may take me 10 shunts to get on a bay :smiley: :blush: I think once I have done it 3/4 times i’ll be fine but

I’ve been tooling about in a long class 2 so got used to holding my own & sometimes being a little ignorant at times due to the size of the vehicle & where in can/can not go

I only got 2 minors when I passed my class 1 which aint bad I suppose, its the reversing of the trailer I worry about, I know my lanes & never clipped a kerb in any test/training (always a 1st time I spose) I drive the back end of a wagon on the bends by using the mirrors

its really only the reversing i’m worried about the rest will come back to me in a week i’m sure!

nervoustimes:
if i’m honest I reckon it may take me 10 shunts to get on a bay :smiley: :blush: I think once I have done it 3/4 times i’ll be fine but

I’ve been tooling about in a long class 2 so got used to holding my own & sometimes being a little ignorant at times due to the size of the vehicle & where in can/can not go

I only got 2 minors when I passed my class 1 which aint bad I suppose, its the reversing of the trailer I worry about, I know my lanes & never clipped a kerb in any test/training (always a 1st time I spose) I drive the back end of a wagon on the bends by using the mirrors

its really only the reversing i’m worried about the rest will come back to me in a week i’m sure!

Dont sweat the reverse,go slow with little adjustments on the steering wheel…DONT PANIC OR WORRY, youll be fine

Reversing is a black art,
no.1 rule Don’t Rush panic or try to be clever.
No.2 Get out and look don’t chance it
No.3.little lock at a time watch the trailer adjust on the go
No.4 ask for help don’t be the hero.
No.5 all of the above.

Don’t worry about keeping people waiting,did a drop Tuesday drove into sainsbury car park was only 50 yards to turn round with a 45ft trailer and back the way I came but took an hour with at least 40 shunts with a guy who got out his car to watch me back inches off new mercs and bmw’s I knew it would go so took it slowly.
To anyone in mere green tuesday sorry about that :blush:

Jeff.

mail me if Wolverhampton would work for you.