"Full ADR"

OK - I may be getting ahead of myself here, but looking to the future, I will be going for ADR through my reserve unit.
I understand that what you get from their ADR course (they are still calling it hazmat) is Liquid and Solid Flammables and Explosives.
Looking on HGV Driver wanted ads, they often ask for “full ADR” I presume they aren’t including every single ADR category, like Radioactive, etc…?

Shandy123:
OK - I may be getting ahead of myself here, but looking to the future, I will be going for ADR through my reserve unit.
I understand that what you get from their ADR course (they are still calling it hazmat) is Liquid and Solid Flammables and Explosives.

Hi Shandy123,

I’m not sure of how the reserve units do their ADR courses or what they normally cover.
Most of the ex-military guys (on resettlement courses) that I train have told me that they usually have UN Classes 1, 2 and 3.
(1 = explosives. 2 = Gases. 3 = Flammable Liquids.)

Shandy123:
Looking on HGV Driver wanted ads, they often ask for “full ADR” I presume they aren’t including every single ADR category, like Radioactive, etc…?

The usual civvy meaning for “full ADR” is Core, Packages and UN Classes 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 &9
There is also an optional module that you can take if you wish to drive dangerous goods in tankers.

Thanks Dave - so it looks like the military ADR wouldn’t really cut it if I wanted to drive fuel tankers then?

Shandy123:
Thanks Dave - so it looks like the military ADR wouldn’t really cut it if I wanted to drive fuel tankers then?

That might not be the case… some of the military guys already have the ‘in tanks’ part of the ADR licence, so it might be that you get yours too.

:bulb: It might just be that they’ll pay for the biggest part of the course, then you might only need to fund the tanker module yourself. :wink:

If you so choose, the tanker module can be taken at any ADR provider of your choice, and at any time you like.
The tanker module counts as ‘stand alone’ and can be attached to an existing ADR licence when it’s convenient.

Am I right in saying that if the tanks module is done half way through the 5 year term of the main ADR then that tanks module will only last until the end of that main term when it will need to be taken again?

ROG:
Am I right in saying that if the tanks module is done half way through the 5 year term of the main ADR then that tanks module will only last until the end of that main term when it will need to be taken again?

Yes ROG, spot-on.

The relevant date that counts is when the Core module was done.

My advice for getting an ‘in tanks’ added is to ask at the time that you’d take the main part of the course, cos it’s no problem (administratively) to add an extra candidate to a tanker class provided that a tanker class is being run straight after the main course. I’ve only mentioned that cos not all ADR providers tack a tanker module onto the end of a standard course.

OK - thanks for that - I at least know more than I did yesterday.