FUEL

hi lads,just quick one ,holiday in france going to normandy driving a diesel car,go with a full tank from here or fill up in france,thanks keith

Fill up in France, try to use a supermarket they are usually cheaper.

Coincidence I’m driving to France Friday was gonna ask the same question :slight_smile:. Fill up in France it is then.

Just got back from a weeks holiday in Normandy. Definatley cheaper over there. I made sure I topped my car up before leaving.

thanks for the answer guys,keith

Yeah, Carrefour or Leclerc supermarkets generally cheaper! :wink:

If you travelling to Ouistrehan ferry port, there’s a petrol station on the right about 5 mins from port. Off ferry through lights ( following signs for caen) over roundabout and its there on the right, you can do some shopping in the carrefour supermarket just next door too.
A word of warning that lots of people don’t realise, the overnight automatic “pay at pumps” don’t always accept English cards, so if you are using one of thèse cards, fill up during the day and pay at the booths, don’t let it get too low and realise that you need some in the early hours. Try to avoid motorway stations as , like in England , they are greatly overpriced. When I left France, diesel was €1.39 a litre, which at today’s rates, works out at £1.21 a litre
Have a pleasant holiday in Normandie and make sure you visit the Mont St. Michel

pierrot 14:
If you travelling to Ouistrehan ferry port, there’s a petrol station on the right about 5 mins from port. Off ferry through lights ( following signs for caen) over roundabout and its there on the right, you can do some shopping in the carrefour supermarket just next door too.
A word of warning that lots of people don’t realise, the overnight automatic “pay at pumps” don’t always accept English cards, so if you are using one of thèse cards, fill up during the day and pay at the booths, don’t let it get too low and realise that you need some in the early hours. Try to avoid motorway stations as , like in England , they are greatly overpriced. When I left France, diesel was €1.39 a litre, which at today’s rates, works out at £1.21 a litre
Have a pleasant holiday in Normandie and make sure you visit the Mont St. Michel,merci,keith

It is very rare these days that the automatic pumps don’t accept UK cards, usually it is pre-paid cards or cards issued on basic bank accounts that will have trouble.

I was over there in Feb, used Carrefour and LeClerc that were 500 yards from the motorway. Price difference was immense. 1.55 Euros on the motorway, 1.3 in the supermarkets.

Get Google out and have a look before you go.

Driving to France saterday just wondering how many hours drive is Cherbourg to guillvenic

Guillvenic is in Normandy near the coast near penmarch also any one know

I’ve never had a problem using cards in the Pay@pump machines over there. It certainly used to be a problem a few years ago, when UK bank cards were magnetic stripe jobs, but now that we have Chip’n’PIN cards there doesn’t seem to be any difficulty. Still worth carrying a couple of credit cards from different issuers just in case though.

oneillmartin:
Driving to France saterday just wondering how many hours drive is Cherbourg to guillvenic

Hi there , just done a quick look for you and it’s just under 300 miles, but it’s all on nationals, so I would reckon around 5 hours
By the way, don’t let the Breton’s hear you say Guillvenic is in Normandie, they might take offence , you will be in Brittany :open_mouth:

Drove off the boat at Ouistreham yesterday evening and the price of the diesel at that garage is e 1.34, which works out at £1.15. So I would definately fill up on arrival if I were you. :wink: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll be driving from Ypres/Leper to Calais tunnel on Monday, I’ve looked at the map etc but where’s the last cheapest place for diesel before the tunnel? Dunkerque?