Fuel Theft..

removalizer:
. . . when a truck arrives back in at night I make sure the caps are left off and any fuel left in is sucked out and put in the workshop. I know its a ■■■ but better then having it nicked.

Seems about the best solution, if not something of a PITA.

If the trucks arrived back in the yard with as little fuel as practicable, pulled-up outside the workshop where simple syphoning device* empties the tank bar enough for a bit of yard shunting, and then parks up.

Likely problems; probably adds 20-30 mins to the start and end of the working day, making sure the workshop/fuel store is secure enough to make the idea viable, any H&S implications of fuel handling/storage etc. Mmmmmm, might not be the great idea I first though it was. :unamused: :unamused:

*Simple syphoning device - basically a development of something I saw a recovery mechanic use when he was called out to ‘wrong fuel in tank’ type of jobs. He had some windscreen washer tubing, connected to a windscreen washer motor, connected to a car battery. He fed the tube into the tank (or sometimes took the feed from a fuel line) and left the motor running for 20-30 mins while he had a brew. The removed fuel went into jerry cans and knowing him, he probably use it again somewhere, somehow!! :confused:

The truck/yard version could be something more akin to a garden pond pump, connected to garden hose, connected to the mains, pumping the fuel into the ‘main’ workshop tank or fuel store.

:bulb: I’m just off to read the Patenting website . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Why is the police not stopping any plain wrapped transit like van that’s running about at night, after all, they’ll need to transport the diesel. There’s allegedly a transit running about up my way that has one of those large bulk iso containers in the back of it and they have a fuel pump and just run the diesel straight from the wagons to the back of the van. My stepdad’s company had 4 x 400 ltr tanks done last month in one sitting…

personally, i’d make the thieves drink every last bit of fuel they got caught with

Krankee:
I’ve been pondering a solution to this for some time. Well, not exactly a ‘solution’ because you can never prevent fuel theft.

It was my idea. I thought of it first. :smiley:

A fantastic idea the only problem is the output. We all know the police aren’t interested in catching thiefs so there’s no point in calling them. Imho they can steal whatever they like from outside my truck while i’m asleep so long as they don’t wake me and make me get involved.

As mentioned in another thread unless you’re speeding or your motor gets flagged by number recognition camera there’s little chance of being stopped and searched.
This is the easiest way to catch organised fuel thiefs is for the police to pull any transit type vans in the middle of the night.

Would you like a tape recording of my missus having a go at me on a friday night?
It’s enough to deter Ronnie Knight.

Krankee:

…And now you’ve published it, anyone can copy it. And you can’t patent it.

Doh!

Mr B:

Krankee:
I’ve been pondering a solution to this for some time. Well, not exactly a ‘solution’ because you can never prevent fuel theft.

A fantastic idea the only problem is the output. We all know the police aren’t interested in catching thiefs so there’s no point in calling them. Imho they can steal whatever they like from outside my truck while i’m asleep so long as they don’t wake me and make me get involved.

As mentioned in another thread unless you’re speeding or your motor gets flagged by number recognition camera there’s little chance of being stopped and searched.
This is the easiest way to catch organised fuel thiefs is for the police to pull any transit type vans in the middle of the night.

You really have no idea do you, Are you that niave to think that all the police in this country merely use number plate readers and wait for someone doing 31 in a 30.

So if you know what they travel in you won’t get any diesel nicked then will you. Oh yeah, of course you will cos while your watching all the transit vans drive around some thieving scumbag will be bleeding you dry and putting it in the boot of his hatchback.

I know several bobbies all of whom would love to catch some thief stood by a diesel tank, pump in hand, believe me they wouldn’t do it again

Your comment to say there not intrested so why call them is like saying truck drivers don’t like truck driving,say for example that ten truck are targeted on an industrial estate in one night and all the drivers have the same thoughts as you. Why would the police patrol that area because theres no crime, because you can’t be bothered to tell them. Don’t complain then when nothings done after all how can they do anything abut it as they don’t know the problem is there. I bet if there was something wrong with your truck you’d tell your boss about it wouldn’t you so he knows and can then do something about it. Not rocket science is it really.

MrFlibble:

Krankee:

Doh!

Already been done
A sensor on my motorcycle sends me a text message whenever some lowlife scum or chav touches it.
That allows me to call helicopter support and let the rottie of its chain :wink:

Greg. I think it is you who is being a little naive. the police should be patrolling, they are not apparently because they are too ■■■■■■■ with paperwork. :open_mouth: What paperwork? they are not catching criminals, or attending crimes. Everyone is the same and realise that calling them is a wasted phone call.
The police force are being replaced by powerless civilians and managers.

Im not that old that I cannot remember a copper following a car or van because it “didnt look right,” or being stopped, “just routine sir,” as they checked my van or searched my boot looking for a Trout, brace of Pheasant or a Hare.

These vans touring round haulage yards, lay-bys and industrial estates are the same poachers. It is the police force who have changed & made it easy.

Wheel Nut:

MrFlibble:

Krankee:

Doh!

Already been done
A sensor on my motorcycle sends me a text message whenever some lowlife scum or chav touches it.
That allows me to call helicopter support and let the rottie of its chain :wink:

Greg. I think it is you who is being a little naive. the police should be patrolling, they are not apparently because they are too ■■■■■■■ with paperwork. :open_mouth: What paperwork? they are not catching criminals, or attending crimes. Everyone is the same and realise that calling them is a wasted phone call.

Im not that old that I cannot remember a copper following a car or van because it “didnt look right,” or being stopped, “just routine sir,” as they checked my van or searched my boot looking for a Trout, brace of Pheasant or a Hare.

These vans touring round haulage yards, lay-bys and industrial estates are the same poachers. It is the police force who have changed & made it easy.

Please explain how i’m being naive, you say they are not patrolling because they have too much paperwork and then say what paperwork? How can you comment or pass judgement when you clearly have no idea what your talking about , by your own admission are unaware of what the police do.

To say that they are not catching criminals or attending crimes is quite a sweeping statement that you cannot back up. If people have given up calling the police then don’t moan. I have seen previous posts on here whereby there are several moans about the lack of police officers now. There is going to be is’nt there, how do you think that the government can come out and say crime has reduced when we all know it hasn’t. Because people like you don’t bother calling and what do the governmet work off? calls and crimes reported to the police. So the up shot is no one reports anything to the police, crime in reallity increases. However crime through the governments eyes reduces (due to less reports) therefore the government give less money to the police and the police is then reduced.

Perhaps if you and others like you reported things instead of moaning, then something might actually get done,

If you honestly think that it is just the travellers in transits that nick diesel then you are sadly mistaken, Granted they do, but it is not just them, take alook around you local estates?? :bulb: Even truck drivers have been done for theft of diesel you know :open_mouth:

Mounted patrols and police checkpoints have been set up in the Lothians in a bid to catch fuel rustlers.

The move in East Lothian and Midlothian comes from a recent spate of fuel thefts in the area.

Reports suggest organised gangs are targeting large tanks at farms and homes, with 12 incidents since May.

Last week, more than 2,000 litres were stolen from a farm near Penicuik. The week-long initiative finishes on Monday.

The main reason for the surge in fuel theft is believed to be the dramatic increase in the price of fuel.

This time last year, unleaded petrol cost 97p a litre, now it is £1.19.

Det Con Stuart Higginbottom, of Lothian and Borders Police, said: "In the current climate of rising fuel and scrap metal costs theses crimes are on the gradual increase.

“A robust approach will be taken with any person caught committing these crimes and they are being treated as serious.”

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/…st/7512393.stm

Please explain how i’m being naive, you say they are not patrolling because they have too much paperwork and then say what paperwork? How can you comment or pass judgement when you clearly have no idea what your talking about , by your own admission are unaware of what the police do.

Sorry. I should have explained that the recent news stories on radio and television have been about yet more proposals from this lame government to improve the police service. It has promised yet again to cut paperwork and issue officers with hand held terminals, just like it did 7 years ago if you believe all you read.

To say that they are not catching criminals or attending crimes is quite a sweeping statement that you cannot back up. If people have given up calling the police then don’t moan. I have seen previous posts on here whereby there are several moans about the lack of police officers now.

Just by carrying out an unscientific poll on here shows that the police are not on the roads or streets with many drivers saying they have not been stopped for over 5 years. You know as well as anybody that the police are reluctant to do a “stop and account” as it causes them to record every detail, even about ethnicity, what has that got to do with a routine stop?

There is going to be is’nt there, how do you think that the government can come out and say crime has reduced when we all know it hasn’t. Because people like you don’t bother calling and what do the governmet work off? calls and crimes reported to the police. So the up shot is no one reports anything to the police, crime in reallity increases. However crime through the governments eyes reduces (due to less reports) therefore the government give less money to the police and the police is then reduced.

There is not a reduction in police, there is a reduction of good police officers on the streets, The good police officers with the coppers nose and the local knowledge. The community policemen & the others are all setting new targets in the police station.

Perhaps if you and others like you reported things instead of moaning, then something might actually get done,

In my village which is a small community with leafy lanes and a local bobby who patrols on a motorcycle, we keep him informed, he knows who is who and who is missing from the pub. We have had a spate of motorcycle thefts, he does his best but cannot be everywhere. A few more routine patrols and random checks could discover these thefts before they are listed on Ebay

If you honestly think that it is just the travellers in transits that nick diesel then you are sadly mistaken, Granted they do, but it is not just them, take alook around you local estates?? :bulb: Even truck drivers have been done for theft of diesel you know :open_mouth:
[/quote]

We know some truck drivers will take 25 or 30 litres of fuel for the cars, the boss needs to be on top of his game when checking fuel consumption. Why does Jeffs wagon do less mpg than Toms, maybe it is that new Merc Diesel Geoff bought his wife!

This is organised crime with 1000’s of litres going missing, stop trying to tell me it was nicked by some chav in a Ford Fiesta

Greg:
I know several bobbies all of whom would love to catch some thief stood by a diesel tank, pump in hand,

I’m sure there’s many coppers that would like this scenario so long as they have enough back up.

My point still stands the police know where and how organised thiefs operate. If they could be bothered to stop and search suspect vans late at night they’d soon catch the scum.

Wheel Nut:

Sorry. I should have explained that the recent news stories on radio and television have been about yet more proposals from this lame government to improve the police service. It has promised yet again to cut paperwork and issue officers with hand held terminals, just like it did 7 years ago if you believe all you read.

To say that they are not catching criminals or attending crimes is quite a sweeping statement that you cannot back up. If people have given up calling the police then don’t moan. I have seen previous posts on here whereby there are several moans about the lack of police officers now.

Just by carrying out an unscientific poll on here shows that the police are not on the roads or streets with many drivers saying they have not been stopped for over 5 years. You know as well as anybody that the police are reluctant to do a “stop and account” as it causes them to record every detail, even about ethnicity, what has that got to do with a routine stop?

There is going to be is’nt there, how do you think that the government can come out and say crime has reduced when we all know it hasn’t. Because people like you don’t bother calling and what do the governmet work off? calls and crimes reported to the police. So the up shot is no one reports anything to the police, crime in reallity increases. However crime through the governments eyes reduces (due to less reports) therefore the government give less money to the police and the police is then reduced.

There is not a reduction in police, there is a reduction of good police officers on the streets, The good police officers with the coppers nose and the local knowledge. The community policemen & the others are all setting new targets in the police station.

In my village which is a small community with leafy lanes and a local bobby who patrols on a motorcycle, we keep him informed, he knows who is who and who is missing from the pub. We have had a spate of motorcycle thefts, he does his best but cannot be everywhere. A few more routine patrols and random checks could discover these thefts before they are listed on Ebay

We know some truck drivers will take 25 or 30 litres of fuel for the cars, the boss needs to be on top of his game when checking fuel consumption. Why does Jeffs wagon do less mpg than Toms, maybe it is that new Merc Diesel Geoff bought his wife!

This is organised crime with 1000’s of litres going missing, stop trying to tell me it was nicked by some chav in a Ford Fiesta
[/quote]

Carrying out your unscientific poll shows that the poolice are indeed not stopping trucks and cars unless there is need too, ask yourself why wheelnut, because there busy perhaps!.

Ethnicity has nothing to do with being stopped except to provide stas for the government to say more of this creed are stopped than this.

Sorry but there is a reduction in the number of police officers, have a search and you will find that police officers are leaving hand over fist. This is in the main due to the endless paperwork that you say “what paperwork”.

It is organised crime however i take it that you have never seen a ford ■■■■■■ with a 45 gallon drum in the back then. Take it from me it is not just travellers

Perhaps your thoughts towards your local bobby in that he can’t be everywhere should be extended to the police as a whole :bulb:

Mr B if only everything in life was that simple eh, its not quite as straightforward as being bothered to stop and search vans late at night. And from your point you quite oviously have no idea about the police and its workings, simply what and how you and the rest of the world would like the police to work.

Greg i think you should declare your interest with the boys in blue.
I know there is a problem with diesel and other thefts on the a1 because i’ve read police leaflets warning me not to stop. i have no choice whether i do or not because of the driving time rules. These leaflets also warn me that so called secure truckstops aren’t actually safe so i should stay alert.
Why then do we not see the police taking pro-active measures against these criminals? The answer is simple it’s not a cost effective crime to solve.
Unless plod gets lucky and stumbles on a crime in progress and even then he’d have to make a risk assessment, could he make the arrest without sufficient back up.

Mr B:
Greg i think you should declare your interest with the boys in blue.
I know there is a problem with diesel and other thefts on the a1 because i’ve read police leaflets warning me not to stop. i have no choice whether i do or not because of the driving time rules. These leaflets also warn me that so called secure truckstops aren’t actually safe so i should stay alert.
Why then do we not see the police taking pro-active measures against these criminals? The answer is simple it’s not a cost effective crime to solve.
Unless plod gets lucky and stumbles on a crime in progress and even then he’d have to make a risk assessment, could he make the arrest without sufficient back up.

Yes i have an intrest and yes as i have already said you know nothing about what your spouting. you will find that most forces now have half of the bobbies on the street than they did ten years ago and so this back up that you keep spouting is rarely there. pro active measures (for one instance) are the leaflets that you are regularly given, Either take the advice or don’t. However at least they have taken the time to warn you.

Crime occurs all over the country in every walk of life so why all of a sudden are you hard done by. I’ve no doubt that if you were a van driver and kept getting stopped and told you were to be searched because trucks keep having diesel nicked you would again soon be moaning.

How about lets have a go at the crap government that run the police (and the country, fuel, tax etc) and tell them what they have to concentrate on instead of the people who go out to work every day or night just like you and i.

For example why don’t they reduce tax, fuel prices provide secure free parking for trucks etc then there wouldnt be the problem in the first place.