Fuel Tanker Training

If it isn’t broke, why fix it?

commercialmotor.com/latest-n … -standards

This came about after the recent fuel tanker strikes and the unions pretending the strikes were about safety and not wages. We, as world leaders have the best training and regulations for every different chemical, and there are many hundreds of different chemicals used in every industry.

Why then should the fuel tanker industry be segmented even more and have additional training for the UK fuel depots and filling stations? We already have a very good safety record in the dangerous goods transport industry. There are many more dangerous chemicals carried on the road than petrol and diesel.

The uninitiated worry about a petrol tanker. I worry more about the bloke with a multi load of mixed chemicals using the same delivery hose or a manifold.

Wait, before you shout at me! in the link above, I spotted this.

Two subgroups will now be created — one will comprise a panel of subject matter experts to devise the content of any new training, while the other will be in charge of establishing how accreditation and enforcement will be handled, and could include government bodies such as the DfT and Vosa.

As I already said, ADR caters for all types of dangerous goods carried by road, and the drivers training gives him the knowledge to do the job safely. my ADR has expired but it is my hobby to keep up with the legislation kindly assisted by our tame forum moderator, DGSA, ADR Trainer and all round good bloke, Diesel Dave.

At present I can go to Gdansk Hamburg or Marseille and load petrol from any fuel refinery, transport it across the continent and deliver it to a testing facility in Llanelli, Stanlow or Grangemouth. So can Pierre, Pavlek and Fritz. Every one is qualified to the same level through ADR

Fuel deliveries in the UK always used to have a slightly different set of rules, we used a different numbering system to the rest of the world. Whilst UN1202 and UN1203 were the norm, we carried fuel under a more generic set of numbers using UN1993.

Eventually even the UK came under the ADR banner although we do still use a unique system of alpha numeric hazard identification where the rest of the world use Kemler code (Hazard Identification Numbers) There is only one letter to remember in ADR Kemler., which is X.

X means it will have a violent reaction to water. In my opinion much easier to remember.

30 means flammable,
33 means highly flammable.
333 means [zb] highly flammable.
X preceding those numbers mean you don’t want an inexperienced fire fighter trying to hose it down.

My concerns are that the DFT and VOSA will over complicate something that is already quite simple, no doubt you will need a separate driver card to load from a Shell refinery to a Total refinery and a different delivery procedure being used at a Morrisons Supermarket to a Tesco or Sainsburys outlet.

I must go and lay down for an hour now! :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
Fuel deliveries in the UK always used to have a slightly different set of rules, we used a different numbering system to the rest of the world. Whilst UN1202 and UN1203 were the norm, we carried fuel under a more generic set of numbers using UN1993.

Malc,

We’re both old enough to be suffering from the odd memory lapse, but I’m sure I can remember petrol being shipped as UN 1270 in the UK.

Nowadays we have:

UN 1203 Petrol
UN 1202 Diesel (includes light gas oil)
UN 1223 Kerosene

UN 1993 is used for Flammable Liquid N.O.S., (N.O.S. = Not Otherwise Specified) which means that the substance meets the definition of a UN Class 3 substance, but is probably some sort of mixture, which renders it incapable of being shipped as a specific substance that has a specific name.

Even a generic number such as UN 1133 (Adhesive) or UN 1263 (Paint) couldn’t be used to ship an N.O.S. substance.

UN 1993 is commonly used to ship Screen-Wash, Brake Cleaner and many other industrial products that meet the definition of a Class 3 substance.

UN 1993 has three entries in the Dangerous Goods List, so care is need in its use by consignors when completing DGNs and other transport documentation, because UN 1993 can be PGI or PGII or PGIII.
Most other N.O.S. UN numbers have three possible PGs too!!

dieseldave:

Wheel Nut:

Malc,

We’re both old enough to be suffering from the odd memory lapse, but I’m sure I can remember petrol being shipped as UN 1270 in the UK.

Nowadays we have:

UN 1203 Petrol
UN 1202 Diesel (includes light gas oil)
UN 1223 Kerosene

UN 1993 is used for Flammable Liquid N.O.S., (N.O.S. = Not Otherwise Specified) which means that the substance meets the definition of a UN Class 3 substance, but is probably some sort of mixture, which renders it incapable of being shipped as a specific substance that has a specific name.

Even a generic number such as UN 1133 (Adhesive) or UN 1263 (Paint) couldn’t be used to ship an N.O.S. substance.

UN 1993 is commonly used to ship Screen-Wash, Brake Cleaner and many other industrial products that meet the definition of a Class 3 substance.

UN 1993 has three entries in the Dangerous Goods List, so care is need in its use by consignors when completing DGNs and other transport documentation, because UN 1993 can be PGI or PGII or PGIII.
Most other N.O.S. UN numbers have three possible PGs too!!

I knew that, :blush: it was early and I do have a few senior moments in a morning, however driving into Thornton to be told I have the wrong boards showing tends to make you wonder who is more correct, the rest of the world or the UK, especially when I have just crossed three countries.

I wonder how you explain that one in Russian :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
… however driving into Thornton to be told I have the wrong boards showing tends to make you wonder who is more correct, the rest of the world or the UK, especially when I have just crossed three countries.

Arriving at Thornton, you’d be correct to be on Kemler boards if you’ve just crossed three countries.

Wheel Nut:
I wonder how you explain that one in Russian :laughing:

Russia now uses ADR for their national transport, so no need. :grimacing: :wink: