Fuel Tanker driver wages

Hi,

I passed my Class 1 almost 5 years ago before heading to Norway and found plenty of work and a country with a great attitude to the transport industry.

Due to Covid-19 I returned to the UK to help with my elderly parents and now i’ve decided to stay for another 6-12 months and planning to renew my CPC and also take ADR so i can then look for work as a fuel tanker driver in Norway, where i have been told salaries are around £30 per hour!

Therefore i am looking to gain some experience after getting my ADR and wondered if anyone had knowledge of what the salaries are in UK for a tanker driver.

Thanks

Look on Indeed or cv library, depends on where you are in the country, friend at Purfleet is on £21 an hour (Furloughed at the mo) another mate is at Hoyer in Birmingham he is on £18:50, Avonmouth & Immingham are decent paying area’s £17 plus, Stobartski at Rugby pay 10p & an IOU…
Anyway at the moment you won’t get in as all inductions have been suspended & no company in their right mind would put 2 people in a truck together to train a newbie. You will probably struggle if you haven’t got a pdp or not being inducted at a refinery and any company that takes you on at the moment without one will be offering less than general haulage wages. Good Luck.

LisasGuy:
Look on Indeed or cv library, depends on where you are in the country, friend at Purfleet is on £21 an hour (Furloughed at the mo) another mate is at Hoyer in Birmingham he is on £18:50, Avonmouth & Immingham are decent paying area’s £17 plus, Stobartski at Rugby pay 10p & an IOU…
Anyway at the moment you won’t get in as all inductions have been suspended & no company in their right mind would put 2 people in a truck together to train a newbie. You will probably struggle if you haven’t got a pdp or not being inducted at a refinery and any company that takes you on at the moment without one will be offering less than general haulage wages. Good Luck.

Thanks for this info, very helpful

BTW - what is a pdp?

Petroleum driver passport.

mrginge:

Is that a UK requirement or like ADR valid in 80 countries?

Thanks

Jameshub:

mrginge:

Thanks

Hi Jameshub,

A PDP is a UK only requirement if you need to go into a UK refinery to load certain products, but this includes Petrol, Diesel and Kerosene.

For example, you wouldn’t need a PDP if you only ever loaded out of stock tanks at your yard.

BTW, ADR is currently only valid in 51 countries (including the UK) in total.

There’s no problem with a UK issued ADR card being used by a driver for national transport within Norway as all ADR member countries (including Norway) have signed up to respecting each other’s ADR cards for national and international transport of dangerous goods by road.

I’m afraid that I’ve no idea of Norwegian wages for fuel tanker drivers, or whether Norway even has an equivalent to PDP.

dieseldave:

Jameshub:

mrginge:

Thanks

Hi Jameshub,

A PDP is a UK only requirement if you need to go into a UK refinery to load certain products, but this includes Petrol, Diesel and Kerosene.

For example, you wouldn’t need a PDP if you only ever loaded out of stock tanks at your yard.

BTW, ADR is currently only valid in 51 countries (including the UK) in total.

There’s no problem with a UK issued ADR card being used by a driver for national transport within Norway as all ADR member countries (including Norway) have signed up to respecting each other’s ADR cards for national and international transport of dangerous goods by road.

I’m afraid that I’ve no idea of Norwegian wages for fuel tanker drivers, or whether Norway even has an equivalent to PDP.

Appreciate your comments, very helpful
thanks

With a PDP it’s in two parts the 1st is a theory which can be done at various SQA registered places in the classroom but it’s only valid for 4 months in which you then have to complete the practical. This can only be done with a petroleum tanker loading in the refinery so you would ideally need a job before you can do either or you run the risk of wasting money sitting the theory part.

You won’t get the top paying jobs walking off the street with out the PDP so look at companies that don’t pay as much like, BWOC, Turners, Stobarts or Sutton. They will expect you to do 18/24 months of work for them before you can leave without having to pay back the training costs. Hoyer will train you from scratch including ADR & pay decent wages But the catch is you will be put on the “marriage wrecker shift” & they will want £2000 back if you leave early.
If your chasing money look for Cryogenic tanker work, Nitrogen, Oxygen, Argon, Natural Gas at companies like Air Products, BOC, Air Liquide & a few of the lesser known ones, you will earn far more money & be trained in house without the penalty clause for leaving, also you will get looked after better as its expensive to train drivers & they don’t like staff turnover.
The Internet is your friend in searching for jobs.
Good Luck.

LisasGuy:
With a PDP it’s in two parts the 1st is a theory which can be done at various SQA registered places in the classroom but it’s only valid for 4 months in which you then have to complete the practical. This can only be done with a petroleum tanker loading in the refinery so you would ideally need a job before you can do either or you run the risk of wasting money sitting the theory part.

You won’t get the top paying jobs walking off the street with out the PDP so look at companies that don’t pay as much like, BWOC, Turners, Stobarts or Sutton. They will expect you to do 18/24 months of work for them before you can leave without having to pay back the training costs. Hoyer will train you from scratch including ADR & pay decent wages But the catch is you will be put on the “marriage wrecker shift” & they will want £2000 back if you leave early.
If your chasing money look for Cryogenic tanker work, Nitrogen, Oxygen, Argon, Natural Gas at companies like Air Products, BOC, Air Liquide & a few of the lesser known ones, you will earn far more money & be trained in house without the penalty clause for leaving, also you will get looked after better as its expensive to train drivers & they don’t like staff turnover.
The Internet is your friend in searching for jobs.
Good Luck.

awesome info, much appreciated
Thanks

If your doing CPC and ADR make sure you find an ADR course where the hours count towards your CPC there is a certain training company offering an ADR Course and 4 days CPC for around £540 all in, if you are going to sit in a classroom for a week you might as well pay the upload fee and get the 4 days CPC for nothing basically. I dont know if i can mention the company, but they are very enterprising :wink:

shullbit:
If your doing CPC and ADR make sure you find an ADR course where the hours count towards your CPC there is a certain training company offering an ADR Course and 4 days CPC for around £540 all in, if you are going to sit in a classroom for a week you might as well pay the upload fee and get the 4 days CPC for nothing basically. I dont know if i can mention the company, but they are very enterprising :wink:

thanks for info :slight_smile:

shullbit:
… I dont know if i can mention the company, but they are very enterprising :wink:

Hi shullbit,

You can recommend a company that’s given you a decent deal and provided a good service.

The company cannot recommend itself though, cos that would more likely be an advert.

shullbit:

If you can let me know the company name that would be great
thanks

Jameshub:

shullbit:

If you can let me know the company name that would be great
thanks

PM sent