Fuel Surcharge

I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has applied or attempted to apply a fuel surcharge.
What reaction did you get? What percentage did you apply? Was the fuel surcharge applied after consultation or did you just apply it?

stottstransport.com/surcharges.asp

This is the only info regarding fuel surcharges I have found on the web. I don’t have any experience of applying them.

Thanks for this Silver_Surfer. 14%, justified but difficult to persuade customers that it is.
I have applied 5% and getting lots of earache.

Hi

For most of my customers I have a fuel escalator built in to the contract. for those we work for on an ad hoc basis, they just get told. If the work is not worth doing, it’s not worth doing.

For those with a contract we determine the price of the fuel at the start of the contract and then if it goes up or down by more than 6ppl from that base price, we apply a fuel escalator.

You need to know what proportion of your costs your fuel is and what percentage the increase is. From there you can work out what the impact on your cost is and add it as a percentage to your price.

i always inform customers, either contract or ad hoc in writing, politley pointing out what they already know, ie fuel’s gone up,witter a bit about how it impacts on the costs of our, ie it’s 25 -40% whatever of costs, how regretful we are and how we hope to continue working with them and that we are reluctantly obliged to pass on this unavoidable cost, blah blah!

5c4n14:
I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has applied or attempted to apply a fuel surcharge.
What reaction did you get? What percentage did you apply? Was the fuel surcharge applied after consultation or did you just apply it?

I`m not sure how long you have been in business, but, this subject should have been approached around SIX years ago :open_mouth:

some conditions of carriage have it in the terms and conditions,
ticc.co.uk/advantage.php

Yeah, Stotts are a fancy dan operator so can get away with it, not sure Mr. Owner Driver would be able to apply the same leverage.