Fuel Station Canopies

Sounds simple but is it ?

Your 13ft 4 I round that to 4.1m, would you go under a canopy that says max hight 4.1m. It’s the Cctv sprinklers lights etc etc that concerns me. I know you can drop your suspension to get an inch or two but let’s ignore that for now.

Thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thoughts are this…don’t go under it.

My thoughts are why are fuel station canopies marked up in metric only?

axletramp:

Yes! We work in feet and inches and all bridges are marked with both. Why can’t the petrol forecourts put both on as well?

Imperial is old hat, everythings metric now, much easier to work with.

Re the canopy height, if you really had to ie short of fuel theres bound to be at least someone on the forecourt to see you under. Worst case scenario, drop the trailer first…

Rowley010:

axletramp:

Yes! We work in feet and inches and all bridges are marked with both. Why can’t the petrol forecourts put both on as well?

Bridges may be marked with both, but are only required to be marked in Imperial units.

^^^^ And this is where it is all wrong. I believe that with something so important, there should be one unit of measurement and only one, whether it be metric or imperial.
We have imperial height indicators in the cab and then find that a lot of trailers are marked up in metric. Then we have some bridges etc marked in imperial and some in both imperial and metric. The whole system leaves itself wide open for mistakes to be made - not only by drivers but by the authorities measuring and putting up signage.
Now I know anyone with half a brain can do a conversion but the risk of making a mistake could so easily be avoided if just one unit of measurement was used for all vehicle and bridge heights. It seems like a no brainer to me.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

Rowley010:

axletramp:

Bridges may be marked with both, but are only required to be marked in Imperial units.

you can add that to a eu law

I find it helps if you wince and lower your head in your shoulders before you attempt it…

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Low canopies don’t concern P and H, so why should professional drivers worry? :smiling_imp:
I like it when there’s a queue on the hgv pumps and I queue jump by going under the canopies. Quite funny when I have to lift the tipper (I have a gypsy pipe fitted) to access the fuel cap and notice worried looks as the body gets near the roof.

Hello , when did we adopt the eu measurement in metric, thought we was feet an inches. ■■■■■■ me off all this meters an stuff
:frowning:

gezt:
Hello , when did we adopt the eu measurement in metric, thought we was feet an inches. ■■■■■■ me off all this meters an stuff

Indeedy, I have always used feet and inches too.
4.3 meters (for example) means diddly squat to me, but I know immediately that I can’t get under anything less than 15" 9".

Shouldn’t max height be the maximum passable height? Otherwise shouldn’t it be marked as clearance 4.1m, or canopy height 4.1m?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

A little common sense here… Those who put up the canopy height signs might not pander to the usual “take off a couple of inches” that one might expect and get from road bridges etc.

This means that 13’4" will be EXACTLY that as measured from the floor exactly beneath that bit of canopy.
Who says they’ve got the height right for all of that canopy though? - Ground has a tendency to be uneven after all… People measuring it up are not going to measure from every square inch of floor area upwards - even with one of those bouncy laser measuring things used by estate agents…

Then there’s the approach forcourt road: Lots of fuel stations have “dippy” roads that lead into the bit with the canopy: If you are going downhill - then guess what? - You might get the front of your truck under OK, and end up prising upwards as you go, with the back of your trailer ending up smashing it off all over the place… :unamused:

SO… If I’m looking at stopping at a fuel station for the first time, and I’ve got an artic even at the bog-standard height of 13’9"… I’ll look for ANY sign that’ll put me off basically. What I want to see really is an area outside the canopy where the bunker fuel guns are. THESE will take even palletliners, and you’ll probably see one taking a crafty 15 minute break on one of these pumps.
Seeing another truck already there then - is perhaps the best endorsement a fuel station can give the approaching driver. :bulb: :sunglasses:

It a good point that it depends where they measured the canopy. To be honest if I’ve not been before I start sweating if I can’t see any pumps outside the canopy. Especially if it’s not a motorway services or similar…Be warned if you decided to call in the services off Wrexham bypass (Rhos-something) which I went into recently… I only needed to pop into the shop and hadn’t remembered until I passed the earlier fuel stations. The signs says no trucks but “Except for derv” so I headed in, thinking worst case scenario I will just wait on one of the pumps while I pop in the shop. Anyway turns out there is a canopy around 4.0m with no way to drive around the site otherwise. I ended up asking the guy in the shop the best way to get out with the 14’11 trailer and he said trucks shouldn’t really be in here, but reverse into Starbucks carpark, screw it round by Burger King drive thru etc. and you should be OK :slight_smile:

gezt:

Many commonwealth countries have adopted metrication as have many other countries not in the EU.

You really should know your height whether it is imperial or metric (search bridge strikes). If the maximum height is 4.1 and I’m at 4.1 I’m going under, any connection is not my fault as I am at (or under) the warning.

It’s not about knowing your height though, if the canopy has it’s own measurements “erring the wrong way”…

If you’re 14’ high and the canopy has no bloody sign on it at all, despite being 13 foot something - who’s fault is it if you then smash said canopy to bits trying to get under it?

If you look at different petrol stations, you’ll notice that NO WAY is every one of them under 16’6" “marked up” as thus. :open_mouth:

I have an example I heard today, 4m canopy, when a truck went under at 3.9m it hit the warning sign. The fuel station apparently said the canopy is 4m we didn’t need to measure it with the sign fitted…

kev909_2000:
I have an example I heard today, 4m canopy, when a truck went under at 3.9m it hit the warning sign. The fuel station apparently said the canopy is 4m we didn’t need to measure it with the sign fitted…

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: