Fuel prices / protests

My local texaco today has gone up too £129.09 on the pump, this is just crazy were is it going to stop ? one thinng i dont understand apart fron chinese writing is when it was creeping up from the 90ppl mark to a £1 there was total uproar protests everywhere and the country came to a standstill just woundering why nothing has been done again when its nearly 30ppl more , from what i can see trucks still only do 7 / 9 if your lucky per gallon, if every hauler in this country made a stand it would be well and truely on its backside, even the big boys should do it, but we all know a certain green death happily runs around empty anyway.
just to cap it im not looking for a argument with anyone just curious as to why we as a country put up with this crap. \And before anyone says well why dont you go and do it then it needs everyone to make a stand not just the odd person, i am like most of you and have a business to run and cant afford for anything to be parked up. i also have a passion for haulage and this country has killed it.

All the best to all fellow truckers hope your wheels keep turning

Paul

my local texaco hit 130.9 this morning. the fuel costs in this country are disgusting. We should all stick a middle finger up to london and upset the applecart as in 2000.

and it will go up again tuesday when the v a t goes up to 20% though i know that business can claim the v a t back and in wales the seven bridge toll has gone up

worse this country is getting - we are in rip off britain.

Time to emigrate - i am seriously considering it.

Its very tempting … It needs something to bring matters to
a head… or where will it stop ?

The problem is the British haulage industry has no representation except for the RHA and FTA which haven’t really done a lot for us. Transaction (I think that 's what it was called) went quiet after the last round of protests with rumours of VOSA and MI5 threats threats to the organizers and any person taking part in any future actions. What we need is an organization who will work for British transport taking on issues such as fuel pricing, parking issues (crime, pricing etc). Personally I think the future for transport across europe (original EU countries) is not looking too good and will soon only be companies like Dentresangle, Stobarts, Wincanton etc. Out of interest where would you emigrate too? Most of Europe & US is in the same position as us, Aus is difficult to get into and is Canada as good as its made out to be?

Well best wishes for the future and lets just hope things improve.

Graham

Your right we do need a organisation, But we shouldnt feel threatened by the fact that vosa or the M15 are going to get involved, the goverment are just like us they are just people, this country should stick together and work alongside each other , it sounds good but its not going to happen. I dont know how other people feel about this but to me sometimes it feels like its us against them, you see a vosa patrol and all of a sudden its a case of whats he following me for ? you know in the back of your mind your running legal trucks in good service but they put that doubt in your mind, and not only that if time is tight and your on timed drops they can throw your day out of the window costing you money and future work, this is were the vosa working with us rather than against us can come into play, im all for pulling the overseas drivers in cause they do abuse the driving hours and put others at risk, But i would like to think that the vosa or the M15 would turn around and say hang on a minute this country does charge too much on fuel if it carries on we wont have a haulage industry, like i say thats not going to happen.
Back to what i said earlier if every hauiler stopped for a day this country would stop dead, and one thing the powers that be cant make you turn the wheels, so as for getting all the trucks lined up on the motorway causing havac doesnt seem to work and to top it off they dont run on fresh air regardless of it being a go slow protest .

the best fuel protest action, every driver/ownerdriver/haulage company should book the same two weeks holiday this year,and the country come to a stand still.

Just think - its not only trucks. We all rely on fuel - its just theres too many tory voting idiots in this country that are prepared to do what westminster want. ive seen 5 price hikes on the pump in a fortnight locally. This country should stop bending over and taking a rodgering from london and stick up the middle finger to them.

How come algeria is 15ppl and USA is around 50ppl and its our fuel.

It doesnt suprise me that half this country will be running on red diesel / heating oil by the end of the year if this continues. I might just swap the nissan patrol for a pushbike.

jjcymru:
Just think - its not only trucks. We all rely on fuel - its just there’s too many tory voting idiots in this country that are prepared to do what westminster want.

Sorry but what did Labour do for us? I can’t seem to remember!

I wote to my Labour MP when she was in power about the fuel/foreigners/state of the industry, how worried I was about my business etc I eventually got a reply (months later I may add) with the usual politically correct rubbish, saying how in fact fuel prices had decreased in real monetary terms followed by another 2 pages of bull. (I still have the letters if anyone wants a copy).

I also wrote to the then campaiging Conservative candidate-Amber Valley, now elected, giving a copy of all my letters and replys with the Labour mp. I asked the same question, what will you do, when and how? The Conservative candidate came across as very eager to please, he met myself and 4 other ods for a drink and a chat in our local, was very interested in us, our business and what we wanted/needed as both individuals and an industry. He promised to look into it and ‘speak to the right people’ to see how things stood and what the partys views were etc etc.

I have since wrtten to him (4 times now last one just before Christmas) asking what was happening, are they going to introduce some sort of user rebate scheme, would they delay the fuel duty increases, will they help us in any sort of way asap, what happened to putting the 40 mph limit on sngle roads up to the 50 mph limit etc? I still haven’t received any sort of reply or answers to any of my questions.

What really winds me up is that he came across as really geninune and wanting to help local business`, understood are plight and agreed things needed to change. The truth is I’m afraid to say is all he was interested in was getting elected.

What im trying to say, whoever Labour, Conservative, Lib dem etc , they are only interested in 1 thing-themselves and how things will turn out for them. They treat us like mushrooms-keep us in the dark and feed us …

The RHA, FTA are the same, we as an industry are no better, we are all full of hot air, ‘we want this, we want that, fuel pricing is ridiculous we should strike, lets all have a week off.’ No one will do anything about it, nobody will stick together to do anything about it-because we are only interested in one person-ourselves. If we can make an extra £1 or gain a bit more work, at the cost of Joe bloggs down the road because he is striking then we will. Don’t get me wrong, if we all did stop/strike I’d be there, like I was last time.

The UK`s Owner driver/small haulier is a maimed animal just waiting for the lions to come and finish them off. The only ones left by the time of the next election will be the 4/5 big plc/ltd companies that are running round hacking the already low rates up, and we will be working 4 on 4 off.

jjcymru:
its just theres too many tory voting idiots in this country

Priceless, it’s not like Labour ever put the price up while they were in power eh?? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ross.

The Labour government ■■■■ on the normal, working man and they are supposed to be the party of the normal working man ffs! At least you know what to expect from the Tories. Labour wanted us all to go to Uni and work in lovely, clean, glass-fronted offices - balls to the horrible dirty (yet strangely essential) industries such as haulage, factories, quarrying etc.

Regardless of politics, the problem is that the rules have changed. As we have no voice at a high level (thanks for nothing RHA/FTA) we can only mount ‘physical’ protests such as go-slows and blockades. However, the government changed the laws so that if you take this form of protest you can have you’re operators licence removed, effectively putting you out of business.

So, protest and have the state taking your business off you or don’t protest and go slowly bust. Options? We haven’t got any.

Lets face it we are a bunch of mugs, cash collectors for the goverment,fuel tax,quarry tax,tax on adblue,the stupid driver cpc they all raise doe for the goverment .the rewards for the effort put in are not good enough in most cases there are to many people at the end of the line with their hands out, after 27 years as an od I am getting fed up of it. and not to forget the most stupid thing ever the WTD and the poa give me strength

DAF DAVE:
the best fuel protest action, every driver/ownerdriver/haulage company should book the same two weeks holiday this year,and the country come to a stand still.

thats the way to do it just a shame no one will, the best words said on this subject so far

hammer:
The Labour government [zb] on the normal, working man and they are supposed to be the party of the normal working man ffs! At least you know what to expect from the Tories. Labour wanted us all to go to Uni and work in lovely, clean, glass-fronted offices - balls to the horrible dirty (yet strangely essential) industries such as haulage, factories, quarrying etc.

Regardless of politics, the problem is that the rules have changed. As we have no voice at a high level (thanks for nothing RHA/FTA) we can only mount ‘physical’ protests such as go-slows and blockades. However, the government changed the laws so that if you take this form of protest you can have you’re operators licence removed, effectively putting you out of business.

So, protest and have the state taking your business off you or don’t protest and go slowly bust. Options? We haven’t got any.

hit the nail on head there sad to say :frowning:

the away around it is everybody take 2 weeks hoilday all together and the the goverment cant due anythink about you having 2 weeks hoilday all together :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

BP at the Forth Bridge was charging 129.9 inc at the pump.Today it`s 133.9.
So assuming the rise was 3.5p in total they have added another 14.28% to that 3.5p.

I have allready posted what i would like to do on another fred,but i think 1 week would be plenty and affordable. :open_mouth:

my thoughts also posted on the thred about rates
who on here can pass on extra costs■■?

How many hauliers could afford to take two weeks holidays.The christmas and new year break has hit a lot of smaller hauliers hard,what with having to pay holiday pay and stamp etc.I can’t see much sense in taking two weeks holiday,because half,if not more would not do it.The trouble with the working people of this country is,they will not stand together and make a united stand.