Fuel limit on foreign vehicles question

Hope an enlightened bod can clarify this one.

In todays Commercial Motor the Lib Dems are quoted as saying that they want to limit the amount of fuel that individual hauliers bring into the UK to a 100litres per vehicle.

I’m sure I’ve read that isn’t allowable under EU law. Anyone have the facts?

albion:
Hope an enlightened bod can clarify this one.

In todays Commercial Motor the Lib Dems are quoted as saying that they want to limit the amount of fuel that individual hauliers bring into the UK to a 100litres per vehicle.

I’m sure I’ve read that isn’t allowable under EU law. Anyone have the facts?

It isn’t allowable under EU law and would only be possible if we left the EU, and whatever people think of the EU that isn’t going to happen.

This is just another of those empty, meaningless things from various parties that are not possible under ;aw and show how out of touch the parties are. However, it might be a vote winner with with the general public who have no idea it isn’t actually possible to introduce it.

It is the same as the “tax all foreign trucks” (Translation - Another nail in the UK haulage industry)thing as it sounds good to the public and may win a vote or two.

Thanks for that. I thought I was right, but for a brief foolish moment thought that maybe a political party might know more. I’m sorry, i won’t think that again… :wink:

What the commie b…s actually mean is that they’d like to limit road transport to the point where it only does home milk deliveries and everything else goes by rail after they’ve covered the country in railway tracks.

An interesting thought and probably suggested by Lib Dem Peter Carroll :laughing: He is maybe having second thoughts & decided that there is more money in opening a new fuel station around Maidstone than standing for election as an MP :wink:

Norway who are not in the EU have a limit of 600 litres before drivers have to pay extra duty

Actually it wasn’t Peter Carroll.

It was his mate, another LIB DEM.

FUEL TOURISM

Baker, Norman

That this House notes the high frequency of hauliers transporting large amounts of fuel into the UK via ferries and the Channel Tunnel to avoid UK fuel duty charges; further notes with concern that this practice may compromise safety on these routes by increasing the risk of fire; and therefore calls on the Government to impose a limit on the amount of fuel individual hauliers may transport into the UK of 100 litres per vehicle.

Then you get this.

In addition, they lead to “fuel tourism”, where truck drivers alter their routes in order to benefit from low tax rates applied in certain Member States, thereby having a negative impact on the environment. In consequence, the Commission’s proposal aims at narrowing these differentials while reducing environmental damages.

But keep reading and the answer is here. The clue to saving money is in the colour :stuck_out_tongue:

ecotravelpage.info/article/1 … uel-bills/

I thought there was already a limit but i can’t find it.

Santa:

It appears the limit throughout the EU is 600 litres but not enforced by anyone.

That farkin’ Norman Baker was outside the doctors I visited the other day, he asked if I had any questions on his policies and couldn’t think of owt at the time, wish I’d known this before! absolute merchant banker.

Santa:

The limit is the size of the normal running tank(s) on the vehicle, no belly or catwalk tanks and the fuel must only be used in the vehicle which brought it into the country.

Here is some light reading to show what your MP does for you.

Doesn’t Walter Koops use British Drivers?

theyworkforyou.com/whall/?id … 2-23b.59.0

Make a coffee and read it all

And to quote from the under secretary:

" In 2000, the Government announced plans to consult on a vignette, which some hon. Members may remember as the BRIT disc. What emerged from that consultation with many interested parties and stakeholders across the board was the fact that we should look at a more sophisticated distance-based scheme rather than a straightforward one-off vignette payment." and …

“However, it stops member states imposing a charge on foreign hauliers without their imposing the same charge on domestic hauliers. It also stops member states imposing a time-based charge of more than €11 a day. There is more flexibility, but it only reflects the cost of the infrastructure when moving to a distance-based charge.”

OK well if you had charged the 11 euros a day for the last 10 years how much money would have been brought in? It might not have evened up the playing field that much but it would have helped put money into the economy to pay for the dole for the drivers who aren’t working because continental firms can undercut them. Why does it have to be complicated and in another 50 years when you’ve had a few more consultations and can come up with something really sensible at least you’ll have had some revenue in the interim.

Good link wheelnut.