Fuel gauge on empty - how much left?

What’s left in your tank when the needle is on the peg?

I usually fill mine every day or two as and when it’s convenient rather than leave it until it’s absolutely necessary, however a rush job last Friday left me with an indicated low tank. I know it reads low and think it’s partially because when it was new the nearside fuel tank was removed to gain payload. However I’m not one to chance it and stopped for a 244 litre fill up. 56 left in the tank and the needle off the red.

Oddly I once ran out of fuel on the M25 a few years back about 10 miles short of the garage I was heading for. I still had about 150 litres in the offside tank and knew there was plenty there but it wasn’t balancing properly and emptied the nearside tank :blush:

Check the manual. You do not want a diesel to run out of fuel (costly AIUI and not just for safety reasons).

I didn’t set out to run out of fuel and knew there was plenty left.

As for the current truck I know it shows a low reading but when it hit rock bottom I filled it rather than risk it. Just wondered what other people have found.

A Scania 580 i had when showing mt always had at least 60 ltrs left in its tank ,however its sister moter ( same tanks ect ) when it said mt it was , out on the road it seemed to sit forever at half full the next moment you glanced at the gauge and it would be quarter and falling so you always kept it topped up, the lad that drove it was used to it but i nearly came unstuck with it out in the brecon beacons with a D8 on ended up with a five gallon drum putting 20 gal in at a little garage after it started spluttering climbing a -slight incline , i never let it run low after!

Run out live lane on the motorway and expect a VERY BIG BILL in the thousands, unless U can limp it to the HS on the key ?

Is it worth the risk ?

I guess you’d have to keep going till it conked out to find out the true range of any vehicle - don’t try this in public and unless you have deep pockets folks! I don’t like the warning light coming on but allow for about perhaps a typical 50 mile range with my usual stingy driving.

My Merc Actross has a 300 litre tank. The warning light comes on when there’s 50 left, so I’ve got a few miles and no bloody excuse really if I dry!

Hiya…i had a strict transport manager who just would’nt let you go out over weight. one time i had
a load from Chester to Southhall wich was heavy so could’nt fill up properly. i was leaving our yard at 4pm
so not many vosa men still working but still go half full. off i drive and think i’ll fill up later, any how i get
to the junction on the A40 near the war memorial and theirs a Shell garage there plus its 8 .30 at night.
i pull into the garage and put in 250 litres and pay (by card) i turn the key wirr wirr no fuel.id run out.
under the wing a quick pump x50 and she fired up, wow that was to close for words.
John