Fuel figures (advice please)

Dave K:
About six weeks ago we took delivery of two new vehicles an Man 18320 Rigid and an MAN 18430 4x2 unit. The problem is that the rigid is returning aprox 15 mpg while the unit is only averageing about 7.5 mpg :open_mouth: Now both vehicles are fully automatic and are both driven in exactly the same manner. The rigid is plated at 18 ton and the unit at 32 ton but rarely carries more than 28 ton.

The unit had a diesel leak an injector where it meets the cylinder head which was sorted by MAN ERF and as far as im aware is no longer leaking, the unit does not have any air kit (gaffer trying to save money :unamused: ) and with the 5th wheel in its closest position the trailer is still a good five feet from the cab, which i have told the gaffer is not good for fuel consumption but he is under the impression that it does not make that much difference :confused:

The reason I ask is, that the finger pointing has started and i am now under
suspicion for stealing diesel, which as you can imagine i am non to pleased about.

Any help/advice appreciated.

you shall not change the distance between Cab and Trailer with fifthwheel,as you would change the balance on the Tractor.
If you shift fifthwheel forwards will you bring more weight on frontwheel.
In Case of a Roadcheck will officer complain of overloaded Frontaxle,as you could have on Poweraxle just 60% by full Weight on Frontaxle.
In Case of overlength is it better to velde a Steelplate on Trailer to set Kingpin back,which may cost £500.- to £1000.-/Trailer