Fuel cards vs Supermarket Fuel, split from Fuel Price Thread

I’ve given up using fuel cards now, it’s cheaper paying pump prices with my debit card, although I did phone Silvey’s yesterday and they told me that they have one price for everybody, and this week it is 115.15 ppl so I’ve applied for a card with them.

Harry Monk:
I’ve given up using fuel cards now, it’s cheaper paying pump prices with my debit card, although I did phone Silvey’s yesterday and they told me that they have one price for everybody, and this week it is 115.15 ppl so I’ve applied for a card with them.

I must admit Harry, this has crossed my mind, but, with a cash back credit card, you thought about that ?, unless your getting a discount for the debit card [unlikely], you might aswell keep it in your bank a/c a little bit longer, and earn on the purchase :bulb:

Stanley Mitchell:

Harry Monk:

I must admit Harry, this has crossed my mind, but, with a cash back credit card, you thought about that ?, unless your getting a discount for the debit card [unlikely], you might aswell keep it in your bank a/c a little bit longer, and earn on the purchase :bulb:

If I pay on my debit card it’s several pence cheaper per litre than on the fuel card. I phoned UK Fuels this week to have a bit of a moan, they reduced my ppl price immediately, and they’ve dropped it again for next week, but they still don’t match pump price.

Apart from the lower price I also get points added to my Shell Driver’s Card if I pay with a debit card (Shell is the cheapest A road fuel retailer so I try to fuel up there whenever possible) and so I should get enough vouchers to fill my car tank a couple of times at Christmas as I’m buying around 1,000 litres a week.

For next week, UK Fuels want 119.48 ppl, with VAT that’s 143.37, and it’s 141.9 pump price at the Shell on the A303, so it’s £7.35 cheaper to put 500 litres in with a different coloured piece of plastic. It’s even cheaper to in supermarket filling stations ( about 139.7 pump price) and while they normally aren’t very HGV friendly, I’m going to find a few that are.

ASDA Cribbs Causeway did have HGV only pumps & always cheaper than most fuel cards.

Harry Monk:

Stanley Mitchell:

Harry Monk:

If I pay on my debit card it’s several pence cheaper per litre than on the fuel card. I phoned UK Fuels this week to have a bit of a moan, they reduced my ppl price immediately, and they’ve dropped it again for next week, but they still don’t match pump price.

Apart from the lower price I also get points added to my Shell Driver’s Card if I pay with a debit card (Shell is the cheapest A road fuel retailer so I try to fuel up there whenever possible) and so I should get enough vouchers to fill my car tank a couple of times at Christmas as I’m buying around 1,000 litres a week.

For next week, UK Fuels want 119.48 ppl, with VAT that’s 143.37, and it’s 141.9 pump price at the Shell on the A303, so it’s £7.35 cheaper to put 500 litres in with a different coloured piece of plastic. It’s even cheaper to in supermarket filling stations ( about 139.7 pump price) and while they normally aren’t very HGV friendly, I’m going to find a few that are.

Top man, every bit helps :wink:

Stanley Mitchell:

Harry Monk:

Stanley Mitchell:

Harry Monk:

Top man, every bit helps :wink:

if you can find somewhere to drop your trailer yoy can get under almost all supermarket canopys.
tescos…ive not found 1 i havent got under yet
morrisons arent great but you can get in to all the ones that are in the keyfuel book

Sorry to hijack your thread Harry, but if the good folk of Trucknet could list any HGV friendly supermarket forcourts, it would be a great help, so I will start.

Tesco at Broughton Park, North Wales, i have fueled up here a few times, you can fit a topline under the canopy, not sure about anything taller, but there is a huge car park next to the garage, with plenty of room to drop a trailer :grimacing:

Ipswich:

Tesco at Codock 3 hgv pumps
Morrisons at Sproughton 2 hgv pumps

Morrisons at Spalding 2 hgv pumps.

harry, just a thought but if you can get into a tescos and fill up, pay with your debit card then you can claim the clubcard points which you can then use against a later purchase of fuel, you would soon rattle up a good amount of points altho you would be in there some time filling up as i dont think they have hgv/high speed pumps. as they say every little helps :wink:

Ta, but I’ve managed to get a price of 113.65ppl ex-vat for next week which equates to a pump price of 136.38ppl and even the supermarkets aren’t matching that.

Tesco have halved the value of fuel re clubcard points. Did well off them for a couple of years too!

That’s a very good price. Who’s that with?

mucker85:
That’s a very good price. Who’s that with?

FastFuel card with Silvey’s. Probably just an introductory offer but it will do for next week!

If u sign up with petrolprices.com they email you twice a week with cheapest diesel and petrol in your area. Around Leighton Buzzard it’s 140.9 currently fyi

When I was trucking, we had 4 or 5 different cards. After a month of getting no business from us the card company would drop their price to get us to use them again. They all did it every time, like clockwork.

Harry Monk:

do you play the system?

i posted this in feb 09 so it might have changed and i’ve not filled up with the card for 2.5 / 3 years, but this is what i used to do

stevieboy308:
hi all,

just a quicky for anyone that collects shell drivers club points, how to work the system!!

you can only get 125 points in one go, so after 125L put the nozzle back and start again

you can only use each card 3 times a day ( at full amount anyway )

you can only redeem 10,000 points a quarter which works out at £50 in vouchers for me. the rest is carried over. in my case last time i carried over over 7000. so you need to get another card, i’ve registered the mrs!

doing this is going to get me £350 - £400 a year in argos voucher as opposed about £100 if i didn’t play the game

stevie

i was running 3 cards with another with £50 on it that i’ve lost the log in details

I believe that you can only use the club points card once a day now so only 125 points

Morrisons Rotherham has two HGV pumps at J1 M18 and the new Morrisons at J3 M18

Asda Trafford Park Two HGV pumps

Morissons on the Darlington bypass near the train statue has 1 HGV pump

stevieboy308:

Harry Monk:

do you play the system?

i posted this in feb 09 so it might have changed and i’ve not filled up with the card for 2.5 / 3 years, but this is what i used to do

stevieboy308:
hi all,

just a quicky for anyone that collects shell drivers club points, how to work the system!!

you can only get 125 points in one go, so after 125L put the nozzle back and start again

you can only use each card 3 times a day ( at full amount anyway )

you can only redeem 10,000 points a quarter which works out at £50 in vouchers for me. the rest is carried over. in my case last time i carried over over 7000. so you need to get another card, i’ve registered the mrs!

doing this is going to get me £350 - £400 a year in argos voucher as opposed about £100 if i didn’t play the game

stevie

i was running 3 cards with another with £50 on it that i’ve lost the log in details

Before I retired (After 50 years I don’t get up at stupid o’clock any more!) I always used the Shell card for all the reasons stated above. Plus, of course, Shell tend to put more anti-waxing additive in their fuel in Winter than most of the other suppliers which has got to be a good thing.