Fuel cards being stolen

we have had a spate of trucks being broken into in the devon, somerset area and fuel cards stolen out the cabs when left over the weekend. one company had over £3000 worth of fuel drawn on it before the thieft was noticed. now i always take mine with me as they live in my wallet, but do other people or do you just not think about what they are worth■■? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I’d say at about 3/4 of places I work its company policy that the card must always be left in the cab.
There’s only one place I work actually where it gets handed in with the keys and it’s included in the daily checks.

Have them attached to the keys with a plastic wallet for the card.

I take mine home with me of a night for that very reason.

Paul

I keep all mine with me.

In all fairness though, it’s down to the garage staff to be switched on as they shouldn’t allow someone to pay on a fuel card with a different reg to the vehicle they are driving. All the ones I have seen have been allocated to the specific unit, do they do some without the reg on it then??

Yes…Ours. They even have the pin on the back! Thats why they stay with us.

FarnboroughBoy11:
In all fairness though, it’s down to the garage staff to be switched on as they shouldn’t allow someone to pay on a fuel card with a different reg to the vehicle they are driving. All the ones I have seen have been allocated to the specific unit, do they do some without the reg on it then??

there is nothing to say you can’t buy fuel for another reg other than thats on the card i do it all the time, can even buy petrol on my card if i need to!!!

FarnboroughBoy11:

Staff can’t usually see the vehicle reg in big garages like MSAs so it’s impossible for them to check anyway. Most fuel cards will allow you to input a different reg to what’s printed on the card too. It’s only if you specifically request one for a set reg will they set it up so that that specific reg can only be inputted at the terminal, but it’s pointless as the staff don’t care and will just input whatever the card says on it anyway.

we had one of ours stolen. the dicks only filled up a transit up the road from the yard. the garage owner gave us the tapes. didn’t use the police, they don’t do any good.
we got the fuel card back, the fuel back, and i’ve said i want the van, but the boss says he wants it. the bosses son says he wants it. but i reckon i’ll get it. :laughing:

We had a fuel card taken from one of our trucks last year while parked over the weekend, £3000 worth of fuel was drawn by 08.00 Monday Morning.
The thieves slide hammered the lock barrel took one of the two card in the Vehicle Complete with pin number Even replaced the lock barrel before they left,
Because of the central locking Our Driver didn’t suspect anything First we knew about it was when the fuel Company called due to abnormal drawings !!!.
We have CCTV of the White LDV van suspected in being used in the theft both in our yard and at the unmanned fuel depots but plod have yet to catch anyone.
If any of you are at one of these Unmanned site and you see a Van with a couple of IBCs filling up suggest call call the local plod,
Its to late for us van was on false plates but you might Help someone.

old skool kid:
We had a fuel card taken from one of our trucks last year while parked over the weekend, £3000 worth of fuel was drawn by 08.00 Monday Morning.
The thieves slide hammered the lock barrel took one of the two card in the Vehicle Complete with pin number Even replaced the lock barrel before they left,
Because of the central locking Our Driver didn’t suspect anything First we knew about it was when the fuel Company called due to abnormal drawings !!!.
We have CCTV of the White LDV van suspected in being used in the theft both in our yard and at the unmanned fuel depots but plod have yet to catch anyone.
If any of you are at one of these Unmanned site and you see a Van with a couple of IBCs filling up suggest call call the local plod,
Its to late for us van was on false plates but you might Help someone.

How long was this and where did it happen?

I could dig out exact dates and times, but lets say it was around Christmas time and the fuel was draw at Northampton,Melton,Mowbray and Just off junction 10 on the M6.
If you are familiar with the unmanned sites you will know you don’t need a KEY to draw fuel.

We all keep our cards with us and never leave card or pin number in wagon.

Why are cards left in wagons with pins wrote on back?
Why not just leave vehicle unlocked for them.

We are supposed to leave ours in the trucks but none of us do for that reason. Why make it easy for the towrags to pinch fuel.

While I appreciate your comments asking why cards and pins were in vehicle,
Can I explain Cards kept in the vehicle as we run 7 days a week with multiple drivers,
Why THE DRIVER in question decided to write pin numbers on a piece of paper to keep with the card only he can Answer.
Same driver has his name in the windscreen just so he can remember his Truck !! :confused:
I’m sure we are not the only company to keep cards in vehicles. we have a procedure now were before a Vehicle leaves the yard driver must checks door locks are intact and fuel cards are there.
Horse and Bolted I know :unamused: