Fuel bunker sites

You know when most of your life you believe something to be so then somebody says it’s not, how discombobulating it can be?
Well, I’ve always understood that UK fuels and key fuels etc sites were bunker sites because they don’t generally own them. Whereas if you have a shell or bp card and use their sites it’s not bunkered.
We have a uk fuels card and a certas card. We’ve been told to use one if it’s a bunker site and the other if not. As their both uk fuels essentially I thought all sites would be bunkered. The boss is saying it’s not necessarily so.
Can somebody clear this up for me?
Sorry it’s a long winded post. Cheers.

We have certas key and uk fuel cards. Get told which one to use for the coming week.
And last week we was given a 2 page a4 double sided print out of filling stations to avoid as they incurr a surcharge for using key fuels etc.
Also mentions what they charge for using your card
Was told not to use them ever . Had a look there’s no motorway services on the list. Seems to be mostly Tesco and some remote rural stations. Although is just a list of names

Ie
W r Kennedy fuels
Creetown service station
etc

edd1974:
We have certas key and uk fuel cards. Get told which one to use for the coming week.
And last week we was given a 2 page a4 double sided print out of filling stations to avoid as they incurr a surcharge for using key fuels etc.
Also mentions what they charge for using your card
Was told not to use them ever . Had a look there’s no motorway services on the list. Seems to be mostly Tesco and some remote rural stations. Although is just a list of names

Ie
W r Kennedy fuels
Creetown service station
etc

Hard to believe that the difference is worth the time and effort.

We aren’t allowed to use Morrison’s supermarket site because of a surcharge, same as when I was with Wincanton.

I always thought the difference was agency or bunker, agency was a price agreed with your local rep but you could fill up anywhere and bunker was fuel put into the system anywhere at the best price you could negotiate on the day.

I used to ring round on Monday morning to get the best price for that week, we had just got mobile phones so could tell the drivers which fuel to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you mean by bunker ? I thought it used to mean an unmanned site where u put your card in a machine and use a pin ■■

We just have uk fuels card , not much use if your going anywhere in mid Wales as there’s zero sites there …

Previous job we had about 6 different cards and had to use a certain one each week , bit of a pain if it was AS24 for instance as there few and far betweeen , gaffer used to whinge if you went a few miles out of your way to fill up :unamused:

On the euros we used to get told weekly where to fill up, as in which country, depending on fuel prices and VAT rebates available.

I have been caught with this with a UK fuels Shell card. Basically all sites that are HGV friendly on major routes are ‘Bunker Sites’ and you are charged the price for that week. Other shell sites incur a surcharge. However, unfortunately it isn’t as clear cut as this as the Shell Garage on the A12 London Bound just past Colchester, isn’t a bunker site even though it has dedicated HGV fueling pumps, but the shell garage at Wrotham Heath on the A20 is a bunker site but doesn’t have dedicated HGV pumps. I asked for a list but they don’t offer one but suggested an App called eroute which apparently shows your nearest bunker site.

If your on an iPhone, try the app call Fuelmate, you can fine tune it for Shell or Esso, BP or BP Bunker, Keyfuels.

Fuelmate Garage Locator by Showtime Online itunes.apple.com/gb/app/fuelmat … 58334?mt=8

Where I last worked we had AS24 and DKV cards . The AS24 was used as preference and many are not aware that DkV cards have two types a UK domestic card and a European card .
The smart phone app for DKV sites shows many UK sites that only accept the euro card and not the domestic card .
I used to know virtually all the UK AS24 sites by heart and could plan my fuel stops easily as we had long range tanks .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

We’ve recently been banned from using our Keyfuels cards at every single BP site… which up here, is pretty much every decent sized service area on any semi-major route. It’s now a complete ballache to get fuel, having to visit all sorts of ■■■■■■ rat-holes that are mostly well off route, and that would mostly have been avoided like the plague. Most of us have resorted to carrying around ■■■■ loads of extra fuel all of the time.

Someday, the penny will drop, and the same ■■■■ in some office 300 miles away that dreamt this one up will realise that the 1-2ppl saving they might be making is actually costing them, in fuel, time, efficiency, dead-miles, the list goes on.

What do we know though, we’re just drivers. :unamused: