FTA or RHA

Anyone benefitted from either of these ,is it worth joining for any reason ? Is it worth joining the FTA at £120 for a one yr period only if not just to gain info ?

Dan Punchard:
Anyone benefitted from either of these ,is it worth joining for any reason ? Is it worth joining the FTA at £120 for a one yr period only if not just to gain info ?

We have belonged to the RHA for about 30 years. The main advantage is that we can trade using the RHA conditions of carriage 2009 which are widely recognised throughout the industry and by our GIT insurance company. Membership also allows us to attend the regional briefings which are very useful for keeping up to date with developments in the industry. There is also a regular magazine which helps to keep you up to date. We recently had a routine visit from VOSA and one of the things they asked was how do we keep up to date with changes in the industry. They were quite happy when I explained that we were RHA members and regularly received their magazine Roadway and attended the regional briefings. The regional manager for our region is always available to answer any questions you may have or offer advice if needed.

We have taken the optional RHA lawplan and found the advice very good when it comes to disciplining or having to dismiss drivers. They are at the end of the phone and will explain in detail what steps have to be taken and also proof read any letters we were sending out to the driver concerned to make sure everything was in order. We have just renewed our membership for 2015.

We are not a large haulier, only having a licence for 4 artics, but find the membership to be good value and gives peace of mind.

Dan might be greater benefit investing the cost in a lottery ticket although NYK seems to be satisfied with what’s on offer.Have been a member of
the RHA indeed was considered as a Director for Owner Drivers issues but turned it down believing the RHA lacked teeth/cojones and I still have
the same opinion.

Thanks ,some good points which I hadn’t thought about .

rha for me as fta are still opposing consignor liability, mainly due to there biggest customers are consignors. Germany has the right idea if its not loaded correctly the forkie / crane driver is done as well. if you load in Germany its done right or not at all, when done they take more photos than david bailey,(to you young bucks he was a famous photographer)

hotel magnum:
rha for me as fta are still opposing consignor liability, mainly due to there biggest customers are consignors. Germany has the right idea if its not loaded correctly the forkie / crane driver is done as well. if you load in Germany its done right or not at all, when done they take more photos than david bailey,(to you young bucks he was a famous photographer)

Slightly off post but I agree. We pull ferry trailers and the ones that come in from Germany are loaded ‘spot on’.

Was a RHA member, was great if you wanted to go on corporate jolly’s in expensive hotels, was hard to justify the cost of renewing!

Joined the FSB instead, they have a legal insurance that looks very similar to the RHA’s !