Frustrated New Driver

Please can someone give me some advice on companies that might take on a newly passed driver?
Having only passed my Class 1 in Feb 2011 Im aware of this 2 year experience rule as its quoted by almost all agencies and companies I have contacted. The agency that I have managed to get on the books of only offer me the odd day. One day a fortnight doesnt pay bills. I have had a day driving a van, a days induction to drive a skip lorry, a day driving an artic then had 4 hours pay deducted for being ‘too slow’!!! I have also driven to Felixstowe (3 1/2 hours from home) to run double-man just for the experience and no pay. Not sure how to find work and funds wont hold out much longer.
Any suggestions welcome :frowning:
Regards ■■

I see from your other posts that you live in the Worcestershire area, try the Job-Centre website because there are a few agencies advertising around the Worcester/Evesham area.

First Personnel are advertising for drivers for Worcester, they’re a [zb] agency but work is work and I think they will take on new drivers if they need to.

Good luck :wink:

Thanks for your advice but ive exhausted all agencies round this area and still not much joy but I will keep trying
Many thanks

2 things, 1, what the hell is deducting 4hrs pay for being too slow? Never heard of that 1 before…

2, 3.5hrs travelling time to work for nothing? You must be ■■■■■■■ MAD!!

Print CV’s, drop them in everywhere that has a truck, paper, skips, tippers, recycling, parcel companies etc.

You want to try any of the firms on pallet-net / pallet track etc, they’ll usually take on new drivers.

Get dressed smart ( take work wear with you ) & go to visit all companies in your area taking CV with you be ready to fill in there application forms

Have you tried Stobbards as they do take newbies ( soz not sure if 1 in your area )

Some agencies up here like 6 mth checkable recent experience this is partly due to the amount of drivers out there looking for work

Nowt wrong with driving a van ( as that is what i am back doing it pays the bills will do until something better comes along )

animal:
Get dressed smart ( take work wear with you ) & go to visit all companies in your area taking CV with you be ready to fill in there application forms

^^ This.

The company where I work hasn’t advertised for a drivers job in 2 years. People who come in ‘off the street’ as it were and ask to speak to the transport manager tend to get offered a job over people who just send in their CV by post or email.

Good luck and don’t give up.

Contact Jobsworth Agency in Halesowen and ask to see a guy called Jim as he’s the head of transport.

Have a chat face to face as you can sell yourself better that way than on the phone and he definately takes on new drivers but expect to start in a van so that he can see that your reliable and safe.

They have contracts out your way in Redditch and Pershore

Its worth a go :slight_smile:

Give Eric VIck in gloucs a ring I’ve heard he’s looking for drivers a mate just started for him.

Sent you a pm

This 2 year thing. Is it 2 years actual experience or a 2 year time lapse ?

You will find it very hard to find any company willing let a new driver loose with a class 1 vehicle with no experience. i can remember my first few solo runs where i would make 10 shunts to reverse into a RDC loading bay, the nerves jangling etc.
You might try signing up at agencies as a Class 2 driver and ask for work where there are class 1 vehicles. Iceland for example run Class 2 vehicles. Once you are established ask to go out double manned or if you can practice in the yard after your shift —try everything.
Or drive class 2 for two years, sign on an agency tell them you are class 1 looking for w/d work, stretch the truth a little, many agencies don’t ask questions or check. Once you get work don’t be afraid to ask or even spend money on extra training if you not sure of something-good luck

Start at the bottom, apply for all driving jobs, van upwards then one day you may find a firm that runs trucks as well so you can fill in as a relief driver. Prove yourself a reliable hard working employee with the person that counts, the boss! He or she needs to know that they can trust you with a hundred grand outfit plus the customer’s goods that your carrying. It’s you that has to show them, they won’t come looking for you.

Take ANY driving job you can get for now and then try to upgrade. I’d be inclined to give agency a miss these days for several reasons…

Apply for rigid and artic jobs.

Banquo:
Or drive class 2 for two years, sign on an agency tell them you are class 1 looking for w/d work, stretch the truth a little, many agencies don’t ask questions or check. Once you get work don’t be afraid to ask or even spend money on extra training if you not sure of something-good luck

Are you ■■■■■■■■ me??

He’s passed his test!! Bloody hell, I’ve seen drivers with 40 or more years under their belt make a ■■■■ up of the simplest of manouvers, it just happens.

If you get the chance of driving an artic mate, agency or not, take it, grab it with both hands, and, find a services before your drop and make sure you can get it into a space.

I was lucky, I landed with Brakes on a night run upto Bellshill, so I had to stop at Hamilton services anyway due to timed delivery, so I made use of my time there, got it into a bay a few times, then a couple of blind sides, then went upto Brakes and ■■■■■■ it up big time, loads of class 2’s waiting to get out, me there ■■■■■■■ about trying to get onto a bay (with nothing either side btw), but I just kept my cool, took as many shunts as I needed and got it on in the end.

Was it embarrasing? Yes, would I do it again/ I probably will tbh, there’s been days when i can’t get into an empty loading area, othertimes I can blind side into the worst delivery point you can imagine.

Don’t take it to heart, take others advise, get on as many agencies as you can and make yourself available for the shifts I don’t want (nights, sundays etc) and you’ll get your chance.

waynedl:
He’s passed his test!!

Yep and she has, shortnsweet that is :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

I know numerous folk over the years who have been in the lack of experience trap but have all managed to strike gold sooner rather than later.

Just keep trying and don’t let the work come to you, go out and find it