Frustrated and fed up

At the start of the year I took my Class 2 and passed OK. I got a job with the Co-op to work at weekends and school holidays (I’m a teacher) and I’ve really enjoyed it so I thought I’d take my Class 1 to see if I could get any better paid work that was a little less arduous to unload. To that end I spent £1000 at the end of July to get my Class 1 and failed it. Fair enough. Nerves got the better of me so I messed up the reverse and that was it, though the examiner said that other than a little undue hesitancy, the driving was fine. Encouraged by this positive feedback I invested another £400 and took it again yesterday. The reverse was perfect, the uncoupling was perfect and the drive went really well. I’ve honestly never driven the truck better but on the way back to the test centre he suddenly deviated from one of the normal test routes and asked me to turn into an incredibly tight junction I’d never even seen before. The wheel of the trailer hit the kerb on the island in the middle of the junction and that was it. Failed again on just one junction. When we got back to the test centre (Grimsby) my instructor commented that she’d received a call from another driving school to they’d seen me out on test but were surprised to see me not on one of the known routes. Apparently my examiner isn’t at Grimsby much and has only been there 5 times in the last 9 years so maybe he took me the wrong way. Earlier in the test he’d asked me to follow signs for ‘A46 Lincoln’ and when I went to turn right he asked me where I thought I was going but I pointed out that the sign clearly stated that that the A46 to Lincoln was a right hand turn. He agreed and told me to go further on instead. Three sets of traffic lights later we eventually found the junction he was meaning!

I’m fed up and frustrated partly because I doubt I could drive the truck any better than I did yesterday. It really did go very well indeed other than that one junction so it seems to me that success in the test is now down to luck as much as anything else depending on what the examiner chooses to see, where he intends to go and what other traffic does. I know I can drive the truck and while it may have been possible to get an artic down that junction, having been back to see it, it was so incredibly tight I would have hesitated to take my rigid up there. The trouble with Grimsby is that so many of the roads are very narrow with some VERY difficult junctions and roundabouts. It seems to me I have three choices:

1. Give up on the Class 1 as I’m just throwing good money after bad and I’ve not got endless resources of cash. I worked hard at the Co-op for 7 days to pay for that resit.
  2. Invest another £400 in the lottery that seems to be the test and just hope I fall luckier next time.
  3. Do the test again but do it at a different test centre to Grimsby. Ideally, one that’s a bit easier. The guys I work with at the Co-op tell me that Grimsby is the hardest place to do the test in the area so maybe I should consider this. The downside of course is that I’d have to go with a different school and I’d be in an area I wasn’t familiar with.

Feeling rather fed up with the whole thing right now as well as being significantly poorer!

I’m sorry that things have gone badly for you :frowning:

It would be interesting to know where the examiner took you that was so tight and where you hit the kerb with the trailer wheel.

If you want it enough you will try again.
only you can decide if it is worth the effort and cost.

Hi mate i passed my car 7th time. i spend 1300 pounds on just car in 2008. i can say this after passing the test i was relaxed and relieved. My personal Advice i would say that If you have come this far then don’t just let it go like this for the sake of 400 pounds. Don’t forget when you pass it you never know you might find a brilliant job where you are. Think of the future I work in gate house when i see drivers going out and coming back after 9 hours and earned more then i do in the gate house that just kills me. this is the only reason i am doing mine that hopefully i will find a job if not then who cares i have already got a permanent job anyways. So GO FOR IT.

If it makes you feel any better, i had my Class 2 test today and failed it when the truck decided to jump out of gear when i was just about to pull away on a gentle hill, it rolled backwards slightly, i was gutted, i knew straight away i had failed, and feel like it wasnt really my fault either,

have a retest booked next week and a little refresher before, at a little below £400, which im not happy about, but i really want to be a driver now so i will do anything really to get my license, im not currently driving though

Only you can decide really, but i wouldn’t give up, if you have already put £1400 into it, another £400 isn’t much more if you get your license at the end of it

Failed my class 2 yesterday,i knew i failed two minutes after leaving the test center.Gutted.cost me £1120.
Booked 6 hours training and a test at the end at the end of the month,nearly another £400.
No point spending all that money then giving up.Go for it mate.It’s only money :wink:

I know exactly how you feel and how you felt going home! feeling nothing more than the lowest of the low! this is all part of the learning experience! I did my Class 2 course back in may, a 5 day course with test on the last day i was so nervous my foot was shaking on the clutch, i had no confidence and of course failed! (reversing was fine, failed due to gear faults and approach speed) I i had low/or showed little confidence being in charge of the rigid! re test wasn’t until 3 week’s later, and passed on the 2nd attempt!

Again same with Class 1! enjoyed driving the vehicles on my training days but kept making the same old silly mistakes, where your instructor would lay it on the line for you “are you sure this is the career for you” he would say “yes pal i’m ■■■■■■■ nervous as you can see”" i would think to myself! so up to first test day in Stafford, failed with the reverse took 3 shunts and on 1 island was close to some railings, 2nd time around passed but i made sure i wasn’t going to make the same mistakes that i failed on the first times!

so Overall yes damaging to the learners pocket, but you have to believe in yourself even when you fail on something stupid! it WILL! make you a better driver, and once you have your licence in class 1, you will think back of your experience and be glad you went through it, below is just a summary of what i forked out for!

Medical £50
Eye test £25
Glasses 2 pairs £180
Class 2 5 day course £1195
Class 2 Re test £357
Class 1 5 day course £1200
Class 1 retest & 2 days training £781
(still have CPC 2 & 4 to do at approx £360)

so very expensive but later in life a valuable investment!

I am from Grimsby witch junction was it. When I did mine years ago at Grimsby I was told witch examiner would pass me and witch wouldn’t thankfully I got the pass one.

i passed on my 3rd attempt, like you i failed on a something stupid, the second fail caused my trainer and training school to complain to the DSA over the examiner and his actions but in the end i passed and thats all that matters. If you want to drive wagons you will keep trying. at least artics dont give cheek, or put tacks on your chair when you are out of the classroom.

Slartibartfarst42:
At the start of the year I took my Class 2 and passed OK. I got a job with the Co-op to work at weekends and school holidays (I’m a teacher) and I’ve really enjoyed it so I thought I’d take my Class 1 to see if I could get any better paid work that was a little less arduous to unload. To that end I spent £1000 at the end of July to get my Class 1 and failed it. Fair enough. Nerves got the better of me so I messed up the reverse and that was it, though the examiner said that other than a little undue hesitancy, the driving was fine. Encouraged by this positive feedback I invested another £400 and took it again yesterday. The reverse was perfect, the uncoupling was perfect and the drive went really well. I’ve honestly never driven the truck better but on the way back to the test centre he suddenly deviated from one of the normal test routes and asked me to turn into an incredibly tight junction I’d never even seen before. The wheel of the trailer hit the kerb on the island in the middle of the junction and that was it. Failed again on just one junction. When we got back to the test centre (Grimsby) my instructor commented that she’d received a call from another driving school to they’d seen me out on test but were surprised to see me not on one of the known routes. Apparently my examiner isn’t at Grimsby much and has only been there 5 times in the last 9 years so maybe he took me the wrong way. Earlier in the test he’d asked me to follow signs for ‘A46 Lincoln’ and when I went to turn right he asked me where I thought I was going but I pointed out that the sign clearly stated that that the A46 to Lincoln was a right hand turn. He agreed and told me to go further on instead. Three sets of traffic lights later we eventually found the junction he was meaning!

I’m fed up and frustrated partly because I doubt I could drive the truck any better than I did yesterday. It really did go very well indeed other than that one junction so it seems to me that success in the test is now down to luck as much as anything else depending on what the examiner chooses to see, where he intends to go and what other traffic does. I know I can drive the truck and while it may have been possible to get an artic down that junction, having been back to see it, it was so incredibly tight I would have hesitated to take my rigid up there. The trouble with Grimsby is that so many of the roads are very narrow with some VERY difficult junctions and roundabouts. It seems to me I have three choices:

1. Give up on the Class 1 as I’m just throwing good money after bad and I’ve not got endless resources of cash. I worked hard at the Co-op for 7 days to pay for that resit.
  2. Invest another £400 in the lottery that seems to be the test and just hope I fall luckier next time.
  3. Do the test again but do it at a different test centre to Grimsby. Ideally, one that’s a bit easier. The guys I work with at the Co-op tell me that Grimsby is the hardest place to do the test in the area so maybe I should consider this. The downside of course is that I’d have to go with a different school and I’d be in an area I wasn’t familiar with.

Feeling rather fed up with the whole thing right now as well as being significantly poorer!

I failed my first class 1 test on exactly the same thing as you. It’s gutting as there really isn’t anything more you could have done if it truly was that tight.

It would be naive to give up now so close to the finish line. What would you have gained if you give up? I know I wouldn’t be able to go back to work the same if I gave up.

I respectfully refer the learned gentleman of my reply of 22nd November 2011, in his thread “Is this realistic?” and particularly my mention of “rose-tinted-specs”.

Having said that, I am sure you knew there would be challenges along the way, and this is another of them. It is a lucky (or very good) new driver who passes everything the first time, particularly if they are not in the first flush of youth. You got the C licence without too much trouble but you are finding the C+E pass a bit evasive at present. For me it was the opposite way around: I failed two C tests (one mainly down to the examiner and one definitely down to me) but got my C+E at the first try. I had to call on my determination (or bloody-mindedness) at the very start, maybe you need to call on yours now.

You had some misfortune on your test - we know life is like that - but this is what sorts the men from the boys.

I appreciate we can only spend (invest?) what we can afford but I think getting the C+E was the best move I made. It makes me more employable and increases the chances of me avoiding jobs with heavy “load interaction” (and those Co-op loads can be a good example of how to grow blood blisters - been there, done that). An employer who runs class 1 and class 2 vehicles is more likely to offer a class 2 job to driver who can, if needed, jump into a class 1.

So, the rose-tinted-specs are gone now. You have successfully invested in yourself and, personally, I think you now need to get that Class 1, unless, of course, you are going to be a teacher forever.

Whatever you decide, good luck, but remember; faint heart never won fat tart.

Alan

I went out of area to do my cat CE & to be honest it wasnt that bad I did have a good instructor in John ( flair training ) that put me at easy & gave me the confidence to do it

Dont worry to much on this as you may be driving anywhere in the uk so being out of area will be all good practice a lot less pressure

Have dilivered to Grimsby many times & yep there are some tight turns IIRC 1 of the delivery addresses is I used to go to you went down a build up area a lot of houses speed ramps school playground housing est ect & yep even in an artic

Sleep on it all will look better in the mor & a rethink then pick self up dust self down & move on re book test & stop this feeling sorry for self

Don’t you just love it when a poster pens a thread like this one? Ten or eleven other people reply, usually with advice and the original poster does not even have the courtesy to log-in again to see if there were any replies.

Then he wonders why thing are not working for him.

The answer is quite simple - attitude and respect (or lack of them).

OnlyAlan:
Don’t you just love it when a poster pens a thread like this one? Ten or eleven other people reply, usually with advice and the original poster does not even have the courtesy to log-in again to see if there were any replies.

hes a teacher…its the holidays…he will be France for a month wont he?

Why he wants to drive when supply teaching is £125 a day is beyond me, a waste of uni and teacher training…

OnlyAlan:

Then he wonders why thing are not working for him.

The answer is quite simple - attitude and respect (or lack of them).

Could be a troll, only posted a few times…

alder:
Could be a troll, only posted a few times…

Nah - a troll would be bursting a gut to answer the replies.

Besides, who ever heard of a troll school teacher? :smiley: