Front fog lights.

Not the usual rant but a question. How dense does it have to be before the front fog lights actually give more help than standard head lights?

I can’t remember the last time I actually used front fog lights as with reduced speed head lights are sufficient for me but I understand the rational of lower mounted and diffused beams that pick out the road edges or crown better, and reduce reflected glare.

Front fog lamps are rarely required in this country but it seems the drivers in this country think the more lights the better.

Severly reduced visibility is the only time they are needed. In other words when you can hardly see in front of you.

Probably the only time the would help visibility wisw would be on a dark country road in really thick fog. They may help you see the nearside verge a little easier.

I must admit to using them on my Scania, along the a24, a single carriageway Unlit road between Horsham and dorking, on my way to the m25 in the mornings. :blush:

Years ago yellow foglights were very common and they did work well in thick fog.
The original equipment foglights fitted to my last 3 cars are only good for finding the kerb, if the fog was bad enough to need those I would not be driving…
One truck I had for a while had retro-fitted blue foglights and the were better.

If you drive an Actros, you can’t have your rear fog lights on without the front ones being on at the same time.

100m in the Highway Code.
Paul

I think fog lights are only needed when visibility is 100 metres or less. Or is it 300?

dri-diddly-iver:
I think fog lights are only needed when visibility is 100 metres or less. Or is it 300?

Or it’s raining, or drizzling, or snowing…

Rob9b:
I must admit to using them on my Scania, along the a24, a single carriageway Unlit road between Horsham and dorking, on my way to the m25 in the mornings. :blush:

I wonder if any oncoming motorists chuckled to themselves … a dork heading to dorking …

sometimes they can be good for puddle spotting, helps distinguish between water and change of road surface, not that I would have ever used them for that. You could have puddle spotters on a puddle jumper LOL

Bluey Circles:

Rob9b:

I wonder if any oncoming motorists chuckled to themselves … a dork heading to dorking …

sometimes they can be good for puddle spotting, helps distinguish between water and change of road surface, not that I would have ever used them for that. You could have puddle spotters on a puddle jumper LOL

Ive probably been called a lot worse than that. :unamused:

Accepted wisdom is that you should drive at such a speed that you can safely stop in the distance that your lights illuminate. Given that foglights light about 10 feet of road in front of you, what speed would be acceptable there? I’m reckoning no more than 20 mph.

A much better system would be that given the plethora of electronic gizmos on a modern vehicle putting your foglights on would electronically limit your speed to 40mph. That way all these tosses who turn them on in September and off in March might have a rethink.

damoq:
If you drive an Actros, you can’t have your rear fog lights on without the front ones being on at the same time.

Surely, if its that foggy,it will be the same fore and aft :neutral_face:

What if you drive an old shape Volvo with notoriously poor headlights ?

bald bloke:

You’ve changed employer BB, going too fast is no longer a concern to you! :wink:

the maoster:

bald bloke:

You’ve changed employer BB, going too fast is no longer a concern to you! :wink:

No but seeing where I’m going is, seriously though ■■■■ poor lights on those volvos.

Yeah, I’m guilty of using them on the A9 at night, don’t light up anymore ahead, but they do light up sides of road and really help spot the deer on the edge of the road. Big difference in roadside visibility from truck with them fitted to one without.

Dimmer lights always seemed better to me… less reflection of your own lights from the fog.

A pet hate of mine, ■■■■■ that drive around with front fog and/or spotlights on all the time, day and night!
Since when have the regulations changed, that front fogs or spots were wired so they could only be used with dipped headlights?
Seems on most cars anyway, that fogs or spots can be switched on independent of anything else.
Saw a lady acquaintance of mine on Sunday, rolled up behind me with fog lights on, so I asked her what the crack was, she said they come on with the ignition, I think I can turn them off but I don’t bother!

she said they come on with the ignition, I think I can turn them off but I don’t bother!

It seems a lot of cars are like that now. They are called day running lights. My wife has them on her Mini Cooper.
They are situated in the headlights rather than down below. Apparently some can be switched off.
It’s a bit like motorcycles having headlights on when you switch on the ignition but they cannot be switched off.

All seems a bit crazy to me. You see buses going about with their headlamps on. I once asked a driver why? He replied so I am more visible. Something wrong if you cannot see a bus in broad daylight.

The main problem that drivers do not see other vehicles is because they do not look properly!

This “Day running lights” is alright if they were all the same.
I have only had Volvo cars for over 30 years and they were well known for the day running lights, which were bright side lights, (Using a 21 watt filament bulb, same as a stop light). (Jasper Carrot did a funny tale about Volvo Lights!)
Later model Volvo’s had the dipped headlights on with the ignition but there was a screwdriver switch by which you could switch them off, but current models have permanent dipped headlights on.