Front axle blowout

After reading the thread about the crash M1 21a, I’m wondering what you can do in the event of a front axle blow out? I’m sure a saw an American video years ago that suggested that initially speeding up was better initially so as not to load the burst tyre.

Anyone ever experienced a front axle blow out at motorway speeds? What did you do?

I honestly doubt there is much you can do. Only had the midlift blowout so far and that rattled the truck around making it hard to drive, possibly because they also steer a little. But that’s nothing like the front steering one going.

I doubt you also get much notice to do anything. Hang on and hope for the best. Oh and probably brake like hell - might not be ideal, but reduces the distance you are out of control and if you’re got a trailer, it’ll be braking too.

Easier to control if you are not posing with an arm out of the window.

Oh and probably brake like hell

Ermmm…no, worst thing you can do is brake, let it slow at its own pace (if you can) while hanging on for dear life to the steering wheel trying to keep it in a straightish line.

Had a nearside front blowout on the M40 going north a few years ago, was flat out on cruise and was in lane 2 overtaking another artic, got about halfway past him when it went, scared the crap out of me and the guy i was passing too, just let it run and he saw what was happening and braked to let me drift her over to the hard shoulder, quite difficult when on the rim as it wants to take you there a bit quicker.
The other guy pulled over up the road and ran back to check i was ok, asked me if i wanted a fresh pair of under crackers :open_mouth:

If you’re travelling at m-way speed? How you going to accelerate?
If you can accelerate, you’ll have to slow down through that same speed anyway.
Heavy braking is a bad idea, as already said, try to slow as gently as you can. Never had it happen to me yet.

A reason not to have taken the trailer brake away.

Franglais:
Heavy braking is a bad idea, as already said, try to slow as gently as you can. Never had it happen to me yet.

It was sited as a reason speed limiter were a bad idea.

RIPPER:

Oh and probably brake like hell

Ermmm…no, worst thing you can do is brake, let it slow at its own pace (if you can) while hanging on for dear life to the steering wheel trying to keep it in a straightish line.

Had a nearside front blowout on the M40 going north a few years ago, was flat out on cruise and was in lane 2 overtaking another artic, got about halfway past him when it went, scared the crap out of me and the guy i was passing too, just let it run and he saw what was happening and braked to let me drift her over to the hard shoulder, quite difficult when on the rim as it wants to take you there a bit quicker.
The other guy pulled over up the road and ran back to check i was ok, asked me if i wanted a fresh pair of under crackers :open_mouth:

So you still had some control. Wonder why some people don’t and go across the central reservation? Heavy braking? Or day dreaming?

I’ve had a rapid front deflation on an empty car transporter, went down in about 15/20 seconds, it’s quite shocking even with power steering the pull to one side thats involved.

Long time friend of mine had front blow out in a fully loaded car transporter (short prime mover, hardly the last word in stable vehicle design :open_mouth: ), @ 50mph in the contraflow roadworks at Luton, somehow he brought it to a safe stop without anyone else being involved, long admired his capabilities in a wagon and that was the icing on the cake :sunglasses:

granddaddylow:

Franglais:

It was sited as a reason speed limiter were a bad idea.

Numbe of accidents caused by front tyre blow outs?
VS
Number of accidents caused by lack of speed limiters?
(Including those caused by front tyre blow outs from excessive speed!)

Every action has good and bad points, Id wager speed limiters are better to have than not. Just cause younme are good drivers, and wouldnt take the ■■■■, remember everyone else is a ■■■.

Aye sink down in your seat, and brace yourself,.
I don’t, but if you have any religion say a prayer, …and hope for a good outcome.

I would imagine the ■■■■ thing will just go and do as it wants however clever you may think you are, , especially if you’re on or beyond the limiter.

robroy:
I don’t, but if you have any religion say a prayer, …and hope for a good outcome.

I would imagine the [zb] thing will just go and do as it wants however clever you may think you are, , especially if you’re on or beyond the limiter.

And hope that steering knob doesn`t break your wrist! :smiley:

Franglais:

robroy:

I would imagine the [zb] thing will just go and do as it wants however clever you may think you are, , especially if you’re on or beyond the limiter.

And hope that steering knob doesn`t break your wrist! :smiley:

I have a strong wrist thanks, as I excercise it a lot . :laughing:

Only had one serious front blowout in 45 years it was n/s front whilst on MI n/b just before Watford Gap on a Friday afternoon,that was in a Seddon with no power steering. It was squeeze my cheeks and pray. Shunted three brand new Bedford TK`s still on trade plates,they had stopped on the hard shoulder as one had a problem.The Drivers heard the bang,saw where I was heading and shouted f…ing run. Needless to say my motor was a right off,and the three Bedfords did not make the paint shop On a Friday the tailback was miles,Police had to ■■■■■■ the wrecker down the hard shoulder against the flow,there was no other way.

As far as little warning goes, a work mate of mine recently had a front tyre go just before the Orwell crossing. He’d joined the A14 one junction down, and said as he went round the roundabout something didn’t feel right, as if the truck was trying to steer itself. Two minutes later BANG! The tyre fitter said the tyre was probably beginning to separate at that point. So in some circumstances you might get a little tell-tale sign in your steering.

As far as I understand it, braking adds a lot of kinetic force to the blown side, so only exacerbates the problem. The best thing you can do in that situation is NOT to use the footbrake, and just let it drift to a stop, if you can. A few driver’s I’ve known said they used the engine brake which helped slow it quicker. All the drivers I’ve known who have had a front blow out all stopped safely. I guess the Brakes driver probably ■■■■ himself and braked hard (no pun intended). I hate to think what would have happened if his nearside tyre had blown on the Tinsley viaduct or similar. I doubt those little railings would have saved him, and I’m sure that’ll go through his mind the next time he crosses it.

granddaddylow:
After reading the thread about the crash M1 21a, I’m wondering what you can do in the event of a front axle blow out?
Anyone ever experienced a front axle blow out at motorway speeds? What did you do?

Yep. Flat out on A38 with an unbaffled tanker on overtaking in the outside lane when the drivers side front let go.

Big bang, lots of dust.

I let off the accelerator, banged on the hazards AND WITHOUT TOUCHING THE BRAKES slowly drifted over to the left and let it slow itself down putting on a little light braking. I was fortunate enough to be near that petrol station north of Fradley Park so crawled it into there.

Where it seems to go wrong is when the driver hears the big bang, panics and stamps on the brake pedal. At that point you’re going for a right mystery tour as it’ll just pull the steering wheel out of your hand if you’re not holding on tight and you’re on for the shortest route to the central reservation/side of the road at a decent lick.

Happened to me once about 20 years ago . EC14 ERF 4x2 tractor unit with a 25000l unbaffled milk tanker on loaded with concentrate skim . Coming out of a town and putting the shoe down I must have been about 50 mph when the front drivers tyre on the unit went bang . Never touched the brakes as I was going up a slight hill just used the jake brake to bring myself to a stop. I was lucky in that it was the face of the tyre that went and not a sidewall - the 2 sidewalls came in and saved the rim . took 2 hours to get a new trye on and off I went . Wouldn’t want it happening again any time soon .

Had one on the A500 about 10 yrs ago at about 1730 at night, approaching the roundabout before Stoke where you go left - coming from M1.
By a miracle no cars where near me, was like a bomb going off, veered towards central reservation, then managed to drag it back and into that little layby. Then 4 days later had one on a trailer, never had one before or since. Scary as ■■■■ the front axle drivers side!