Frome

Looking for some advice on the best way to frome.
Flatbed,artic,heavy.
Gotta wait in asda car park… and then ring site.
Currently in worcester

M5 South to the M4 Eastbound, exit at Bath.
Take the A36, go through Bath on the London road to take the sign to Warminster southbound on the A36.
Take the Frome bypass.
Exit the Frome bypass to Assa, ignoring weight limit signs to the town centre.
There is no room for an artic in Asda car park.
Pull up by the fuel station then U turn by the goods in to the supermarket.
If you want to park overnight, use Marston trading estate for Kfc,Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Sainsbury, Police station.
Or park in the lay by opposite the Masons Arms pub.
Weight limit is in the centre of Frome, you are legal if heading out to Radstock.
Another parking is on the Frome bypass behind the Travelodge and Beefeater pub.

M5 to Glos, then A417 to Cirencester. A429 Chippenham, pick up A350 to Trowbridge then A361 to Frome.

Suedehead:
M5 to Glos, then A417 to Cirencester. A429 Chippenham, pick up A350 to Trowbridge then A361 to Frome.

Agreed but beware of lots of closures on A350 around and South of chippenham.

toby1234abc:
M5 South to the M4 Eastbound, exit at Bath.
Take the A36, go through Bath on the London road to take the sign to Warminster southbound on the A36.
Take the Frome bypass.
Exit the Frome bypass to Assa, ignoring weight limit signs to the town centre.
There is no room for an artic in Asda car park.
Pull up by the fuel station then U turn by the goods in to the supermarket.
If you want to park overnight, use Marston trading estate for Kfc,Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Sainsbury, Police station.
Or park in the lay by opposite the Masons Arms pub.
Weight limit is in the centre of Frome, you are legal if heading out to Radstock.
Another parking is on the Frome bypass behind the Travelodge and Beefeater pub.

Or Frome Cattle market, and have a meal and pint in The Bell, on the main road.

I’d go with either of Toby or Robroy directions parking etc. Just watch out for the bridges if you are in a double deck.

Aurri:
I’d go with either of Toby or Robroy directions parking etc. Just watch out for the bridges if you are in a double deck.

He’s got a flat so no probs with my park for him, although for anyone else there’s a 15’ (I think) bridge leading to the estate.

I’m parked in worcester tonight,can’t go to asda before 8.
Talking to a keedwell driver in the pub…reckons avoid the bath route…so looking like a350.
Done birdlip to Swindon… but not the 429 to chippenham.
Is it good?

Suedehead:

This is the route I’m currently favouring.
Never done the 429 bit though

commonrail:
Talking to a keedwell driver in the pub…reckons avoid the bath route…so looking like a350.
Is it good?

Nothing wrong with going through Bath mate I would say.

429 is fine bit country road and a 14ft bridge but Carpenters and Whites are on that road and doubt they have ano problems.

Cheers man

robroy:

commonrail:
Is it good?

Keedwell reckons it’s a good route,but will be rammed when I get there (0730)

Cheers for your help everybody.

The Chippenham bypass has road works and rammed at commuter rush hour .
If you want to avoid Bath at rush hour, as you come down the steep hill , there’s a roundabout for the Batheaston bypass.
Before turning off to Bath , have a good look to the right to check if the traffic is queing towards Bath.
If not use Bath.
If it is jammed, do not turn off there, but carry on towards Bradford on Avon, but you must turn LEFT before BOA and go to Trowbridge via Staverton and Hilperton.
Follow the signs for Westbury and Warminster.
At Yarnbrook, go out of Trowbridge via Southwick to Beckington, to Frome on the bypass follow sign for Shepton Mallet, Asda is off the Frome bypass, if you miss the exit , next roundabout U turn.

robroy:

commonrail:
Is it good?

Bath will be rammed in the morning. Road works on the bridge to add to the congestion.
Sally in the Woods is the most obvious direct route, but a bit of a faf going through Trowbridge.
You can follow the A4 to Box, and turn right at the formality the lights, towards Melksham. Then pick up the A 350, having missed the problems between Chippenham and Lacock.

Chippenham was clean and green.
Arrived 0830…tipped for dinner…steady ride back,via the truckstop for a shower.
Currently parked outside a tavern in ilkeston.
Happy times

robroy:

commonrail:
Is it good?

It’s through Bath itself and the A46 from the A4 which will be stop start traffic which is more stop than start some days…

DAF95XF:

robroy:

commonrail:
Is it good?

It’s through Bath itself and the A46 from the A4 which will be stop start traffic which is more stop than start some days…

Yeh you’ re maybe right, I haven’t been through Bath during the main peak hours.
Think Toby was right go towards B.on Avon,.and turn off left before the wt. limit.
I forgot about that route even though I’ve used it a few times. :blush:

toby1234abc:

You’re legal if going to/from Radstock and over the height limit for the country lane that doubles as a by-pass to the north of town. 12’6" I think it is. (Also, you’re legal if tipping in Frome.)

If you’re going towards Radstock, turn off the sat-nav before you hit Frome; it doesn’t understand the exemptions to the weight limit.