From the US to the UK

I’ve been trucking in the US for 9 years and now I’m heading back home, I’m looking to go back to driving in France, Italy, Spain etc, how much has changed overthere? my hgv is still valid, are there still UK companies still operating overthere? most of the companies down south I used to work for no longer exist.

Hello roadrat, things have definetley taken a downturn in the last nine years regarding uk-european work. Most of the big players are streamlining or using cheap foreign labour.
I did notice “european” from dover area were advertising in the sun a few weeks ago.
Good luck anyway.
rgds jon

Welcome to TruckNet UK ROADRAT and good luck :smiley:

Thanks for the reply, it sounds like the UK trucking business has gone the sameway as here in the states, the cost of living, fuel and taxes keeps going up and although I can get good paying loads heading out I can’t get anything heading back.
When I first came out here I thought being paid by the mile was great, there wasn’t much roadwork and you could get loaded and unloaded quickly, now you just seem to sit in traffic or waiting hours to be unloaded and then have to drive all night to make any money,
I guess i’m getting too old for this game and turning into a crybaby!
I ran into a Portuguese driver over here who is hooking me up with a company running from Porto to London but i’ve got to work out the pay.
Have a pint for me.

Hi Roadrat. If you’re over 45 you’ll need a medical to keep that uk license valid.

JB:
Hello roadrat, things have definetley taken a downturn in the last nine years regarding uk-european work. Most of the big players are streamlining or using cheap foreign labour.
I did notice “european” from dover area were advertising in the sun a few weeks ago.
Good luck anyway.
rgds jon

Anyone got a number for european in dover :smiley:

U mean this company?

http://www.europeanfreight.eu.com/home.htm

look for the “careers” link on the left of their website.

Regards, Jonathan.