From The Daily Mail

Britain’s motorway services are the most expensive in Europe.

Motorists also have to put up with poor hygiene in eating areas and toilets and abysmal service from surly, unmotivated staff, says a survey published today.

Five out of six UK service stations rated either “poor” or “very poor” for their prices, according to a report by the AA and other European motoring organisations.

Only the Moto service station on the M1 at Toddington was rated ‘acceptable’ on price - but it was rated the worse overall.

It had “dirty tables and chairs,” toilets that were “shabby and dirty”, a limited selection of food, and staff who appeared “neither motivated nor trained”.
The survey of nine countries found a “small meal” was most expensive in the UK - £16.69 for

a bottle of water, a cappuccino, a meat or poultry dish and a small salad.

That was ordered at Clacket Lane Services run by RoadChef on the M25.

The bill was £2.65 more than in traditionally high-priced Switzerland, and more than Spain (£13.45) and Denmark (£12,09).

Even the cheapest small meal ordered was £13.73 at Fleet Services (run by Welcome Break) on the M3 in Hampshire.

But it was £3.65 more than the equivalent meal in Switzerland, and nearly double the £6.42 charged in Italy.

The AA says: "Culinary highlights should not be expected.

"Outdoor facilities, the restaurant and toilet sometimes needed to be cleaned more thoroughly.

“Prices are enough to bring a tear to the eye.”

The service station operators insisted they are investing in improving services.

Source Daily Mail

what a suprise :unamused:

wtf is going on at Exeter services ? pulled in there last night (first time for a couple of months) about 10.00 to get a burger, BK was shut and the main restaurant was only serving breakfasts :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

cost me £5 for a packet of sandwiches and a coffee :imp: :imp: :imp:

and what are they doing to the parking, half the lorry park is now fenced off for builders huts and gear!!!

</rant mode>

Denis F:

wtf is going on at Exeter services ? pulled in there last night (first time for a couple of months) about 10.00 to get a burger, BK was shut and the main restaurant was only serving breakfasts :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

and what are they doing to the parking, half the lorry park is now fenced off for builders huts and gear!!!

</rant mode>

They are making more space for coaches at the expense of the truck spaces :slight_smile:.

I had a night out recently at Cherwell Valley. Paid £20 for the priviledge with a £6 ‘meal’ voucher(funny how no hot meal is £6 or less :wink: ).
Little Chef told me they were too busy to serve me even though I was on my own and the place was less than half full.
So off i trot to the so called restaurant where I am told they have run out of my choisce of hot meal. At the point of blowing a fuse now I settle for fish and bloody chips, which is cold and inedible.
I then return to the cab to get some sleep after a 14 hr shift , only to be kept awake all night by soddin Willi Betz drivers who like shouting at each other while playing their music and eating from the trailer lockers of 10 dirrerent trucks :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:
Now after this I sent the place a letter of complaint , more for my benefit (to get it off my chest)than anthing else. To my suprise though , the next day , the Duty Manager actually rang me to apologise.
Fair enough you may say but nice as she was she never once agreed with my gripes , prefering to put it down to ‘operational difficulties at that specific time’… yada yada yada.
At the end of the conversation she said that by way of an apology for my experiance , she would post me a load of complimentary vouchers , fair do’s eh?

I still haven’t recieved them :confused:

Stopped at Bolton last Friday,It was only £8 but I begrudged paying that

■■■■ hole is an understatement

only use there toilets fairs fair they brb on us i brb on them :smiling_imp:

shade:
staff who appeared “neither motivated nor trained”.

What do they expect paying £5.35 per hour in the South East? I’d be damned if I’d be motivated any more than was needed to keep the job.

Denis F:

</rant mode>

I heard that part of the lorry park has been sold off, who to is a matter of who you ask. It’s either M&S (my opinion) or Hambrook pallets(the opinion of the guy in the CB shack).

smoker:

Denis F:

</rant mode>

I heard that part of the lorry park has been sold off, who to is a matter of who you ask. It’s either M&S (my opinion) or Hambrook pallets(the opinion of the guy in the CB shack).

I’ll take the M&S option. I very much doubt that a pallet company would be allowed to buy and operate a pallet buisness on a MSA. Well maybe if he’s well connected he might be able to but otherwise it would be a complete no no!! But i have noted the info thanks and i’ll check with the HA what their policy is as regards buisnesses operating in MSA’s other than providing motorists with refreshments !! I know they already allow passing trucks to ‘wash’ but making facilities for them to unload pallets has surely go to be against every rule in the Motorway Operators terms of Operation?

Mike-C:
I’ll take the M&S option. I very much doubt that a pallet company would be allowed to buy and operate a pallet buisness on a MSA. Well maybe if he’s well connected he might be able to but otherwise it would be a complete no no!! But i have noted the info thanks and i’ll check with the HA what their policy is as regards buisnesses operating in MSA’s other than providing motorists with refreshments !! I know they already allow passing trucks to ‘wash’ but making facilities for them to unload pallets has surely go to be against every rule in the Motorway Operators terms of Operation?

Hambrook have been collecting pallets in there for years. they take up 2 spaces in the middle of the park. I worked for them on agency, and every so often I got sent up to swap an empty curtain-sider for the one they had filled up.
But they haven’t been there since the construction’s been going on.
Strictly speaking it isn’t an MSA anyway, as you can access it without going on the motorway. So it’s not falling foul of the “destination in its own right” rules.

smoker:
Strictly speaking it isn’t an MSA anyway, as you can access it without going on the motorway. So it’s not falling foul of the “destination in its own right” rules.

I understand what you’re saying. But, if they have MSA signing from the motorway then they have to abide by the rules. Ofcourse this is largely flouted by the majority of MSA operators, Leicester services (which is going soon) and the one by Crewe on the M6 ssouthbound are two examples that spring to mind that do pallets. I’ll check out if they have permission !!!

Lancaster(Forton) MSA S/B,and if I’m right,is it Hartshead Moor S/B that have a pallet dealer on the truck park?

bikemonkey:
Stopped at Bolton last Friday,It was only £8 but I begrudged paying that

[zb] hole is an understatement

dafdave

Must have been that boghole off folds rd were all the fair folk dump their gear,if it is your right ,never used it but seen it due to living in bolton for 56yrs.

regards dave

Conor:

shade:
staff who appeared “neither motivated nor trained”.

What do they expect paying £5.35 per hour in the South East? I’d be damned if I’d be motivated any more than was needed to keep the job.

think connors hit the nail on the head