From CM - Funniest thing I've read for ages

[quote=“"Felixstowe Port says: We need your help!" in this week’s
Commercial Motor”] Felixstowe Port is distributing thousands of leaflets to drivers explaining how Operation Stack works in an effort to avoid a repetition of last month’s chaos…
snip past recap of what happened and how they are getting their leaflet about etc. to the gem at the end of the item
…A meeting of interested parties was held last week to discuss the problem - Inspector Trevor Sharman of Suffolk Police Roads Policing Unit say a review of Operation Stack is now under way.
“I am going to visit Dover and Southampton to see what we can learn from our partners at other ports,” he adds…snip to end
[/quote]

Is it me…? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

(Colour highlighting is mine. Article credited to Chris Tindall)

Obviously to see how to screw up the entire A14 instaed of just a small part then :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

That’s kind of what I thought… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Lucy:
“I am going to visit Dover and Southampton to see what we can learn from our partners at other ports,” he adds…snip to end

Funny enough there was an article in CM or T&D earlier this year, it was an interview with the Chairman of Dover port. He went on to tell us that they move upto 6,000 lorries per day through the port, they have no plans to provide facilities for them as there is no government funding, and that ‘we’ (truckers) should campaign to get congestion problems eased !! My first thought was a campaign to reduce the amount of foreign trucks coming in, that might not be what he had in mind though !! His input towards and in co operation with the new MSA on the M20 also demonstrates his apathetic attitude towards truck problems, he’ll probably tell them to start a campaign !!

ok ive got me tin hat on and barracaded? the doors ready for the onslaught,

so WHAT is wrong with Souhampton, we have one truck in there every day,he’s in and out in 1 to 1.5 hrs tops and he complains of having to use tranfer 1 then 3 which you will know involves some driving.

i drive through there most days the long ques have long gone.

pps, i have used the port in the last month.

mark croft:

so WHAT is wrong with Souhampton, we have one truck in there every day,he’s in and out in 1 to 1.5 hrs tops and he complains of having to use tranfer 1 then 3 which you will know involves some driving.

Im not down Southampton very often but the times I have been its taken ages to get turned around…That was until I visited on Thursday & Friday just gone when I was in and out in just under an hour both times. The only delay was at Pentalver waiting for APL to tell them want temp my reefer had to be set at. Cant beat Thamesport though arrive Fri 16.45 leave 17.05. Only had a box lifted off though but still.
:laughing:

Bad memories I guess…Plus a sneaking suspiscion (sp) based on past experience that whilst it may have improved for now, it won’t last… :smiling_imp:

Is the reason there are no queues at Soton now due to the fact that a few vessels have now been diverted to Felixstowe or been diverted to mainland Europe and feederships bring the box’es over instead?
I’ve got a better idea to help ease the queue’s generally at Felixstowe(when there’s no wind of course)and that would be to open North gate up for 24 hours and for loaded exports as well as empty exports,could’nt believe the queue on Tuesday morning at 0430,1.5 hours to get in and 20 mins to tip and turn.
Trouble is when Felixstowe says there are no queue’s their right as they only count the 20 mins you’ve been on the terminal and not the waiting time to get on there.
Does anybody know if the like’s of Rotterdam,Antwerp,Hamburg etc get shut down for weather problems or suffer from excesssive waiting time’s?

mark croft:

Might have something to do with Transfer area 3’s recent facelift…Or is that area 52 now :slight_smile:

dont know only used 1 & 2 but it was the first time for five yrs that i went in the sct part,mainly go to ranks or meyers depending whats on for the day,but do go past the transfers to keep eye on it. even the great pentalver que was missing at the back end of last wk,or it builds in afternoon?.

ex brummie see = nosey bugger