FRIGOSCANDIA

Does anyone have any photo etc ,my dad drove a f7 for them in the 80s out of south kirkby ,i use to go wih him every day on my school hollidays having nights out in the small cab ,it felt massive then .i caught the bug for my 21st birthday he paid for my hgv and ive been driving ever since even tho me dad allways said dont become a driver,that was 23yrs ago .

[attachment=0]024.jpg[/attachment

Sorry about the size and quality of the picture but it was the early seventies.We worked for Frigoscandia out of Stratford Lift.The work was good but anyone who ever pulled for them knew the only times they knew were midnight or 0500! Hope this helps a little.Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

024.jpg

We used to pull for Frigo’s out of London E15 depot. I think it was about 1986 ish we started.

Used to be in South Kirkby quite often, i don’t remember the F7s so that might have been a bit earlier.

Do remember some of the lads working out of there.

Who was your Dad?

I had this from new so that would have been 1988. Before that i had a 2500 Daf, that used to struggle with an empty fridge let alone loaded :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: . Them old spread axle tandem fridges where bloody heavy things.

seth 70:
Does anyone have any photo etc ,my dad drove a f7 for them in the 80s out of south kirkby ,i use to go wih him every day on my school hollidays having nights out in the small cab ,it felt massive then .i caught the bug for my 21st birthday he paid for my hgv and ive been driving ever since even tho me dad allways said dont become a driver,that was 23yrs ago .

South Kirkby guy,do you drive for e coopers,keith

keith 2:

seth 70:

South Kirkby guy,do you drive for e coopers,keith

no m8

The original frigo !

image.jpg

gunnerheskey:
The original frigo !

when my dad worked at frigo they were all subbys apart from 10 f7s artics and 2 f6 4 wheelers who were employed by frigo ,then a firm called farm house took over and the drivers were finished,i cant remember that much i was only a nipper,i can remember me dads reg being rvf472w.

seth 70:

gunnerheskey:
The original frigo !

when my dad worked at frigo they were all subbys apart from 10 f7s artics and 2 f6 4 wheelers who were employed by frigo ,then a firm called farm house took over and the drivers were finished,i cant remember that much i was only a nipper,i can remember me dads reg being rvf472w.

That pic was probably a subbie, ! I just remember years ago when anyone was pulling a fridge trailer, it was generally a Frigoscandia trailer, then I think that the lingo for pulling a fridge, was called a frigo ! Now everybody calls a fridge trailer a frigo !

Hers one for you ,bubble power :laughing:

klunk/■■■■■■■■

The reg no on this F86 is a Westmorland C.C. Issue KJM ■■?J which puts the date as late 1970 or possibly very early '71.When reg nos. were reorganised in the mid '70’s JM was allocated to Reading and the other Westmorland letters “EC” were retained by the new County of ■■■■■■■ and they continued to be used in south ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ info :wink: Cheers Bewick.

I just remembered that we supplied some regular traction to Frigoscandia in the early/mid '90’s,this is a weekend shot of a couple of their fridges in the depot at Milnthorpe and I was checking their motors and tempratures.They were decent to work for although the rates were a bit on the “keen” side IIRC,we could have done a lot more for them if we had wanted but we always had as much traffic from our own customer list but the Frigo work was a decent fill in job,and the payment was secure :smiley: However,once they got a tractor unit engaged they didn’t want to let it return :wink: Happy days.Cheers Bewick.

klunk/■■■■■■■■

A relation? Driven by S.J.Best Ingleton

Cheers Malc.

malc step:

klunk/■■■■■■■■

A relation? Driven by S.J.Best Ingleton

Cheers Malc.

I may be wrong Malc but I think the F86 was one of Colin Alderson’s from Appleby. Cheers Dennis.

Found this in my dads photo’s. Think it was took in the early 80s.

Found this in dads photo box, and anyone remember Frigo,s yard in Kirby Liverpool

I remember Frigoscandia’s Kirkby depot. It was, or still is as far as I’m aware, virtually next door to Simonswood vehicle testing centre. I seem to recall that it first opened in the early 70s. I’ll stick my neck out and say 1972, but I could be out by a bit.

If you were approaching the place from the east lancs road, you had to be aware of the low bridge in Kirkby, although this was by-passed soon afterwards if memory serves. Coming the other way, from off the Rainford by-pass, or off the M58 wasn’t a problem

The place may well have been constructed purposely for Frigoscandia, I suspect it may have been, but again, I’m not entirely certain.

I only called in there on one or two occasions to pick up the odd pallet or two when I drove for Safeways out of their Leigh RDC, as Safeways didn’t actually run any fridges at that time, at least not out of Leigh, although they may have done at Aylesford.

In fact, at that time, I think Safeway relied on an outfit from ■■■■■■■ way, whose name I seem to have completely forgotten…hang on…could it have been Barnett & Graham, or something similar ?, to supply their stores with frozen stuff.

I’m not sure when Frigoscandia moved out of Simonswood, but around about ten years ago, the place was owned/rented/occupied/or whatever, by Fredericks, the ice cream people, whose factory is a few miles away, alongside the M58 in Skem. ( or at least it was ).

I used to shunt three or four loads a day from Fredericks factory into the place for a bloke whose name I won’t mention, ( but it rhymes with ■■■■■ ), as it still brings back bad memories.