Fridges and the law?

A recent topic about inconsiderate fridges parking within 10 mile of nice truckers got me thinking are there any laws concerning where, when and what times the fridge can be left on?

Doubt there is a law specifically for fridges but they may come under some sort of noise abatement order? Depends how loud each individual fridge is really as I’m sure they won’t always be the same!

Not heard of any laws, but not heard of anyone being fined or prosecuted for running a fridge either.

No doubt there is some general law prohibiting the use of any noisy equipment within a certain distance of residential areas during certain times, but who parks up in a residential street anyway?

Seen a couple of signs in lay-by’s that say “no running fridges to be parked overnight” due to lay-by being right next to a housing estate…probably just local bye-laws but don’t think there is a national law against them

No, theres no laws on fridges, but lots of rules, some truckstops ask that you use a plug in, some ask you to park in certain areas, some msa`s ask you to keep the fridge running until its empty etc etc…however some drivers seem to take the law into their own hands with regards to shut eye, and switch off the fridge themselves, believing it will cure their insomnia.
The majority of fridge operators are courteous, and will wherever possible, park away from the rest, but sometimes due to the nature of the job, are often amongst the first to park up, and therefore others have no choice but to park next to a fridge as the parking gets full…a simple solution is to get the owner to put in electric cables, but thats not always viable.

Occasionally you will see objections in A&D and local or county councils making stipulations on an operator licence to limit noise.

It always amazes me how Paul Bird ever got his factory passed planning permission unless everyone in the village works for him.

Well I hope you all get food poisoning! Miserable ■■■■■.

Truth is theres no good reason that fridges have to be noisy, sound proofing is a well studied science.

Not allowed to park in Lincoln Farm,they only allow them on the road outside,by the front gate,one or two parking spaces.
It does not bother me as the noise of the fridge blocks out all the other noise of boy racers tooting their horns for a laugh.
We all eat the food off fridges,they are just doing a job.
Pulleyns have alarms and locks,on the fridge due to the high value loads,i would be worried if another driver switched off my fridge in the night,and the load ruined.

schrodingers cat:
Truth is theres no good reason that fridges have to be noisy, sound proofing is a well studied science.

Thats the responsibility of the haulier/owner of the trailer,not the driver, but he would get all the flak if someone switched it off during the night. :imp:
Don’t shoot the messenger… :exclamation:

Why for the life of me trailer manufacturers can’t put a lock on the flap that covers the controls i don’t know :imp:

The way things are going in this country and the petty, small minded individuals we seem to be infested with, there will be some kind of law along soon :unamused: :unamused:

schrodingers cat:

My bro is in the forces, plant fitter, and he looks after invisible generators for use where the specials are working.
He reckons when these gennys are running, they are so well silenced they make no noise, the casings and exhausts are designed so the heat is contained/cooled so thermal camera’s can’t pick them up, they’re mounted in their frames so there’s no vibration and they have the same radar signature as a coke can!

Wouldn’t imagine they’re cheap though.

There used to be signs on the esplanade at Kirkcaldy asking fridge drivers to park facing away from the block of flats.Probably a town council thing.

Well I’m shocked nobody’s banned them yet.

Simple way to get less fridges on the roads, do all your shopping on a Saturday as used to happen. No Sunday shopping, no evenings or 24 hour.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

I would imagine that parking after 11pm in a residential area with the fridge on will get you nicked under laws relating to noise.

Parking away from residential areas such as in industrial estates has never given me any problems.

I’ve had a regular plod ask me “should you have your freezer on at this time of the night with that travelodge just over there?” to which I considered the best answer was to relate to the fact that the poultry I was carrying would surely thaw out if I turned my freezer off. The travelodge might be getting a delivery of “fresh” sandwiches that subsequently kills them, so perhaps preventing that represents the lesser of two evils?

(I never got around to telling him I was only there for a 45 anyway, and I don’t think he twigged that Travelodge don’t even sell food as far as I know!)
:laughing: :laughing: