Fridge work

Hi

Would anyone be willing to describe fridge work for me?
What is is all about, what is mainly involved and the key thing, whether you can actually sleep when on nights out, as I imagine the fridge must be on all the time and I guess it is very noisy.

Thanks

Easy work, no strapping and curtains to fight with, sometimes you’ll have to jump in the back with a pallet truck at smaller locations. Yes it’s not always easy to sleep with fridge running but you will sort of get used to it. I’ve been doing it 5 yrs now and wouldn’t change.

Turn Fridge on in morning (or if someone loads for you all ready set up) set the temp you want in each compartment… hear fridge start up forget about fridge/freezer (if its a freezer watch when you jump in the back there normaly skating rings if fridge has been used recently or washed out)

First drop you might have to write down temps. or some places ask for a delivery ticket or journey ticket (most don’t bother tends to be the bigger drops) hit a couple of buttons print it off hand it them. and then some companys ask you to do a journey report end of day so start it printing and get a brew on a 12 hours shift as you’ll be there a bit lol
Last drop you can turn it off and remember what quiet feels like though after a week on fridges you tend not to hear them unless your in the back

That’s it easy work same as a box trailer only difference is if your in a rigid and flames lap though the roof leg it. same with if its a artic and flames lap though the back wall or you see flames going down the side Leg it as they can catch fire is poorly maintained “driver what steps would you take in event of a fire?” "Very large ones :laughing: "

just don t forget chaNGE FRIDGE TEMPERATURE .normaly about +1 +3.bananas +13. one drivers in some company forget change tepm to bananas.and back to Depo with full load bananas and temperature was +1 :smiley:

thanks for your replies, lads
…oh, and one more question, not exactly related to fridges,… well actually it is…
If you are on hourly pay contract and you wait a lot in RDCs and so on, as some if not most do a lot, do you expect to be paid for this waiting time? I guess it is POA, so you should be getting paid, but on the other hand why would drivers be complaining they have to wait hours to be tipped, after all you get paid for it.
Unless those complaining are all on weekly/monthly wages

I would also appreciate if someone working for Turners of Soham - Newmarket depot on firdges, would describe the pay and working conditions there and what the job looks like.
Pm me if you prefer to keep it off the main board, please

hkloss1:
why would drivers be complaining

SOME drivers complain/moan about anything :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

hkloss1:
after all you get paid for it

Makes no difference, paid or not paid, “moaners” are “moaners”. :slight_smile:

In my experience:

0/+5 for chilled
+2 for milk

• 15 for plants
    -22 for ice cream
    -25 for frozen

-35 if you get to a store that has noise restrictions, your early and have to turn the fridge off to keep the NIMBY’s happy, and you can get a kip in. By the time the store opens, the temp has risen to where it needs to be at -25. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

Used to be a nice number,international fridge work. Lots of empty running down to Spain & Italy. Took me years of tilt groupage before I cottoned on.

hkloss1:
Hi
whether you can actually sleep when on nights out, as I imagine the fridge must be on all the time and I guess it is very noisy.

Thanks

Drop the trailer and park behind it. You’ll still be able to hear it but it won’t be anywhere near as loud.

Terry T:

hkloss1:
Hi
whether you can actually sleep when on nights out, as I imagine the fridge must be on all the time and I guess it is very noisy.

Thanks

Drop the trailer and park behind it. You’ll still be able to hear it but it won’t be anywhere near as loud.

Not really allowed that though is it. Yes, people do it, but the 1st time a trailer goes walkies, so does the driver.

Let’s face it, if a fridge is running, it’s loaded, and they’re never loaded with very low value products, even Milk is worth a LOT of money when you account for the quantities in a trailer, plus the lost trailer and diesel and probably a fine off the contract too.

I mostly park up when empty, so rarely have to have it running, but most fridges you can turn onto continuous, and then you sleep no problem, same as when you’re 3.5hrs in on a dark motorway :open_mouth:

I suppose it depends on your company’s policy. If they’re OK with it and you have a suzie lock then you’re fine. I

If you need to drop it and park behind it then maybe best sticking to curtainsiders. Apart from the theft issue it also leaves it open to someone fiddling with the controls more being so much more accessible.

Fridge work it great, most people that do it swear by it.

Terry T:

hkloss1:
Hi

Thanks

Even if you drop the trailer and move forward a couple of feet in front of it you’ll find the noise is substantially reduced. TBH, fridge work often entails so much working at ‘silly o’clock’ that when the time comes for a break you’ll have no problem nodding off!

One other tip, don’t forget to check the fuel gauge on the trailer tank. Running out of diesel with a full load of high value foodstuffs on will not make you popular with the boss.

~ Craig

I used to carry a king pin lock when I tramped with fridges then you could put it somewhere out the way in the truck stop, whack the king pin lock on and park well away from it without worrying about the trailer getting knicked. :bulb:

keytrak4security.co.uk/bulld … tAodH2IAIw

I also used to put a staple lock on the back when it was loaded.

Luke’s right about someone just switching it off, if it was my trailer, you can get get metal flaps and padlocks for the controls and hidden fuel lines. You do have do be a bit of a ■■■■ to mess with another man’s fridge but there’s all sorts out there. :unamused:

Silver_Surfer:
Luke’s right about someone just switching it off, if it was my trailer, you can get get metal flaps and padlocks for the controls and hidden fuel lines. You do have do be a bit of a ■■■■ to mess with another man’s fridge but there’s all sorts out there. :unamused:

It amazes me that even now it’s not a standard fitment.

And to add to post above, yep check fuel, but don’t trust gauge! Get a dipping stick!

switchlogic:
It amazes me that even now it’s not a standard fitment.

Yes i’ve never understood why that is also, just imagine a load of frozen meat set at minus 20 and some ■■■■ setting the fridge to plus 20 or whatever it’ll go to whilst your chucking zzzzzz’s out, costly.

In my 16th year of fridge work and I’ve NEVER had to worry about anyone tampering with my fridge, don’t stand still long enough for that to happen; BUSY BUSY BUSY!!! :smiley: :slight_smile: :wink:

Think a lot it depends on how old and efficient the fridge is. The older ones are quite noisey and if they are low on refridgerant then they have to run for longer. Get a nice new fridge and you hardly know they are running.

Lusk:
Think a lot it depends on how old and efficient the fridge is. The older ones are quite noisey and if they are low on refridgerant then they have to run for longer. Get a nice new fridge and you hardly know they are running.

The new thermo kings are very quiet.