Fridge Work sleeping issues

How on earth do.you guys sleep with these fridges running all night? I just can’t get to sleep or have interupted sleep when one parks next to me. Sort of puts me off doing any fridge work.

Any light or remedies for this

Can’t think of a remedy other than ear plugs but I just got used to it.

To the extent where it’s took me a while to get used to not having a fridge going.

If it helps I don’t know but I used to prefer keeping it on constant - saves waking up and thinking “■■■■ something’s wrong” and also you don’t that the oh so non invasive pre start beeeeeeeeep and it turning over.

Doesn’t bother me one bit, oddly enough. A fridge driver even asked if he could park next to me in Lokeren tonight and I said sure. He even asked again :laughing: not a problem

Failing that get some earplugs…

When I did…

Nights out (all those years ago) with fridges, I’d park the opposite way round to everyone else.

Where it’s possible, you could do the same and that way you’ll at least be 40 feet away from a Thermo-King roaring away on defrost.

A work mate who was on surface ships and my brother who was on subs
Both have said when they came home on leave they couldn’t sleep because it was to quiet , no constant machinery sounds and regular ships routine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You do get used to it.
It’s a bit like when you’re on the ferry, you’re asleep whilst you have to get along with the engines running below you, with all the vibration and the general clanking noises that go along with them.

Depending on the time of year and what your carrying of course, you can choose the settings.
In winter, if it’s fresh at +2, I put it on stop/start, even if it’s frozen too. Very rare that it’ll go on while I’m asleep, but if it does it will only be for a short while whilst the fridge gets to the set temp.
As said it depends on what’s in the trailer, some goods have to be on constant.
We transport Ferrero chocolates set at +14, again on stop/start even in the summer. It will come on as needed.

We have drivers that prefer the fridge going all the time.

Jay the trucker…joined 2 days ago ?!?

Could this be the latest invasion from the legends. …truckerjay :bulb: :question:

More like another pseudonym for jakethesnake or one of his ‘friends’.

I tramp on fridges, 2 solutions; either put it on constant run or turn it off and don’t shop at the supermarket you’re delivering to for the next month or so!

How would it be if they were set for -30 (frozen) or 0 (chilled) about an hour before your due to park up? It would take a long time to reach -15 (frozen) or +5 (chilled) and I’d imagine it would be perfectly safe to eat for quite some time afterwards?? Anyone on here qualified to comments on here?? Maybe no a good idea delivering to iceland as they (allegedly) don’t immediately put it in their freezers?

drivers dont have the option of deciding temps,drivers get told what temp to set it at.
if you dont know then you ask.
you then get told the temp,and whether to run constant or not.
you play with it at your peril as even if its not your fault,then it will be as you didnt do as you were told.

you basically set the fridge to run the way you have been told to,or expect to get fired for playing with the temp and having the load rejected after they probe it and then have the temp readings downloaded.?
i would have imagined you will be aware that your a tad late in asking if theres anyone on here qualified to comment about the ins and out technicalities of fridge operations as the name of uktramp has vanished a while ago.
the only mystery of us mere mortals is who will don the fridge engineer with a phd hat to carry on?
id reckon beau and spike were on the money somewhere along those lines.

ytrehodluap:
How would it be if they were set for -30 (frozen) or 0 (chilled) about an hour before your due to park up? It would take a long time to reach -15 (frozen) or +5 (chilled) and I’d imagine it would be perfectly safe to eat for quite some time afterwards?? Anyone on here qualified to comments on here?? Maybe no a good idea delivering to iceland as they (allegedly) don’t immediately put it in their freezers?

Most every load will need some form of temp recording for foodstuffs. If you go outside what the customer specifies, the load could be refused. The fridge will have temp recorder(s). Plus recorders can be put on various places in the load.
Chilling some fresh produce too far could give it frost damage.
Or in the case of tomatoes permanently affect the flavour. Once they drop below about 4deg some flavouring is lost, and doesn’t return when temp rises. Keep them in fridge too cool and they’ll keep longer, but be tasteless.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

spike78:
Jay the trucker…joined 2 days ago ?!?

Could this be the latest invasion from the legends. …truckerjay :bulb: :question:

Can’t be he’s asking for advice no legend needs to do that

ytrehodluap:

Trying to remember my adr stuff now, without checking my notes I’m probably not going to be spot on, but should be near enough.

ADR class 5.2 are self reactive or self polymerising substances which need to be rigidly temperature controlled. They have a self accelerating decomposition temperature which, if reached, requires an immediate emergency services response. Not a good way to make friends!

Also 6.2 which is organic substances such as bacteria or virus. Pretty sure they’re temperature controlled.

Then I suppose you have medicine. All those lovely drugs, er, sorry, medication that requires refrigeration to remain usable.

All in all, not worth turning fridges off just for a good nights sleep. But would you get a good nights sleep knowing you were parked up next to a lorry carrying one of THEM!!

Edit: Diesel Dave, please dont shout at me if I’m wrong. I’m trying to remember stuff from two months ago after a 13 hour night shift!

Just drop it, and pull forward, simples

Fascinating info regarding the ADR stuff no doubt Dieseldave would no about it also?

I was mainly thinking about the usual supermarket deliveries, perhaps a lot of the tomatoes are transported at less the 4 degrees as they are often tasteless!!!

I’m surprised a lot more of the fridge trailers don’t have the engines mounted down out of the way under the floor rather than next to the drivers head, are these generally speaking generators providing 3 phase AC to operate the refrigeration gear in the trailer?? Presumably if not in constant mode the fridge thermostat will operate at 12 or 24 volt and start the engine when necessary, in any case im fairly sure a defrost cycle will be necessary, during which the temperature may rise briefly (or stop falling) until completed and switch back to cooling…
I’ve also driven rigids where the fridge is also driven from the main engine presumably these would only be used for store deliveries??

I’ve never done fridge work but my brother has, he said that the company that load you will state what temperature it’s to be set for and his firm remotely monitored the fridge.
Any driver messing around with the fridge unit would be instantly sacked and held responsible for any damages claimed by the customer.
Duncan

Its not you who has been sleeping with my wife then! :smiley:

I found it was better on constant than stop start that alarm always woke me up

ytrehodluap:
I was mainly thinking about the usual supermarket deliveries, perhaps a lot of the tomatoes are transported at less the 4 degrees as they are often tasteless!!!

Go on…

Ask me how many loads of tommies I did on Mainland Market Deliveries in a curtainsider, ok I’ll tell you, loads!

Chill tommies during transport but, the real secret of the supermarket tomato is to leave it alone at ambient temperature for a day or two before you eat it. Chilling is just to keep the product from rotting, the real taste of any food (except ice cream) can be found at room temperature.