fridge trailer

Hi guys, what do i need to look for regarding used fridge trailers? looking about 2015/16, any make to steer clear of? any engines to be wary of? i only need a single temp trl. thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

If you’re carrying fresh fish or fresh meat that will leak sea water/blood then steer clear of Gray and Adams the seals around the floor are poor and water and blood will leak under the floor. At the start it means that no matter how clean the fridge is it will smell which can be a problem if also loading dry loads and after a while it will rot the supporting timbers under the floor somewhere in the region of £2,000 to get it sorted.
Motor wise go with Thermo King, Carrier’s are noisier if you’re night outing and are more prone to overheating in the summer than Thermo King.
Chereau is the best make on the market but will cost a bit more than others. Schmitz are cheap tho not overly robust but the panels are easy to replace if it gets damaged, if only carrying frozen they are not the best insulated although probably the lightest make.
If buying a twin evap go for one with a solid dividing door rather than the soft type door as it gives better insulation between the compartments.
If going for just a dividing door rather than a twin evap check the fans in the door controlling the temperature to the rear compartment work, handier system than a twin evap for loading high pallets but less control over the temp in the rear compartment.

Thank you mazzer2.

mazzer, that is a fantastic reply. top man… :wink:

Agree on the Chereau, but the resale value will be better as well.

Ken.

G&A good trailers very strong but heavy,

Schmitz good for weight as they are light but they flex abit

Chereau probably the best trailers, hold the temp the best but are also heavy.

I have a 4X2 164 and with the G&A I’m 19 ton empty, chereau just over 19ton, Schmitz 17 ton empty.

As for engines I only run carrier so can’t comment on TK. But I’ve run 4 carrier 1850’s for the last 3 years day and night loaded frozen mostly and they have been trouble free minus a water pump on the chereau and one of the Schmitz trailers. They have been good. I sold 2 trailers and kept a G&A and a Schmitz.

If it wasn’t for the weight I’d of kept the chereau.

Noone mentiobed krone?