Fridge in the cab for the summer

Wheel Nut:
There are 2 types of Fridge,

1. A compressor Fridge (the best)

2. A Condenser Fridge

And a cool box with a fan (crap)

Engel are certainly the best.

A decent condenser fridge although rather large is an Electolux. Gas, Mains and 24V. I had one and if you ran it on gas, it would freeze milk. £240

Was that the RC1600? I am looking to get one of those ASAP due to the death of my collbox, :cry: are they any good?

What type of gas do they run on and how long does the gas last for? Have seen them for about £180 now, was thinking of a coolamatic or engel but unfortunatley my spending money won’t allow it €499 - €895 :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Pete, you mention that you can get them for about about £250 -£300 is that for either coolamatic or engel? If so where can you get them for that price please :smiley: :smiley: Looking to get one soonest as have nothing at the moment :cry: :cry:

Lynux user that is a coolmatic, the engel costs a little bit more you are doing GERMANY if so try lokingat the truckstops do not buy straight away as you may find it cheaper downthe road, in fact have just looked in the latest german truck mag and sorryitsabout 450-500€ depending where you buy it from
this is with a automatíc 12/24 volt system which means you canthen use itin your car and it does freeze as well. YOU are correct the ENGEL or COOLMATIC FRIDGES are the rollsroyce and well worth buying.
ANY of the good truckstops in GERMANY will have them on sale ,and if you are doing GERMANY oftentake your time and look around as then you can get abargin also what about checking where the factory is and try their
factory shop if you are in the near may save money,
the SVG AUTOHÖFS will sell the fridges as well ,let me know where you visit in germany and i will try to steer you in the right direction of a good truckstop, here are one or two,RHEINBOLLEN;GEISELWIND: VECHTA;
HAMM UNTREOP;URESLEBEN (A2-exit 66) ,

Cheers for the info Pete, i use the autohofs at Ramstien and Grunstadt alot. The Maxi at Grunstadt does have a big range and they range upto €895 which is a bit too much for me at the moment. I am looking around the £300 €435 area.

The Electrolux one is looking favorite at the moment, as unfortunatley i need something quickly as at present i have nothing :cry:

I really know nothing about fridges so am looking blind, one that can be left pluged in would be ideal but i think only Engels are able to do that without draining battery, which is why i am currently favouring the other one as can switch to gas when parked up.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks :smiley: :smiley:

What type of gas do they run on and how long does the gas last for?

They run on normal Calorgas, shellgas etc Butane and or propane. IF you fit a gas one in the cab then you need to fit an exhaust vent for it, unless you want carbon monoxide poisoning :wink: Hence caravans have an external vent.

You could of course rip an Electrolux one out of a scrap caravan, they’re all 12/240v and gas so probably run on 24v too.

The Coolmatic are just as good as engel fridges and do switch off when the batterys are low. and it freezes and cheaper you should get one for the price i said in one of the big truckstops, I personaly do not like the gas fridge system,

I’m not sure if I can put this on here but I’ll see what happens.

Summer will be with us soon and I have decided to put a fridge in my lorry this year and found what I think is a bargain (hope I’m not proved wrong :wink: )

Anyway there is a special offer on at Somerfield stores selling a 12v fridge half price at £14.99. I got one over the weekend and it appears to be spot on.

It’s a dual purpose one as it will also warm things up as well as keep things cool - not at the same time obviously :unamused: :unamused:

It’s a Fridgemaster thermoelectric cooler & warmer
dimensions are 317mm X 293mm X 420mm (sorry but I don’t know the measurements in English :wink: )

The confusing thing here is do you think you’ve bought a fridge?? Further on in your post you say it is a cooler & warmer.

Main differences are; a fridge will (should) cool down inside to (approx) less than 6 degrees. A cooler will cool the inside of the box to ‘x’ degrees below the outside (i.e. inside your cab but outside of the box) temp. The ‘x’ factor depends on ability/cost/quality/specification.

I have yet to find a fridge that can also be used as a warmer but there are plenty of coolers that can be used as warmers.

Don’t expect your cooler to keep things fresh as long as a fridge would!!

Oh yeah, fridges are usually loads more expensive than coolers!

THE best fridge is one that operates with a compressor and will go
to-18c .THE two best makes are ENGEL---- or----COOLMATIC both
are not cheap but you will have a item which will last for your time as
driver if looked after. cost range from 250–300 pounds but this is for
a excellent fridge,and well worth the money spent. get the boss to buy
for you thats if he has not all ready bought you one as then you can get the vat price back, here in germany i put the bill in with my tax return
and claim for the expenditure.

2. A Condenser Fridge

A decent condenser fridge although rather large is an Electolux. Gas, Mains and 24V. I had one and if you ran it on gas, it would freeze milk. £240

Wheel Nut:

2. A Condenser Fridge

So you only get what you pay for!

another point to consider which i forgot to say was that most of the
good fridges now have dual voltage-automatic which works on 24 OR 12
VOLT also they will switch themselves off if they voltage reaches a certain level so that you can still start the lorry or car and that is a big plus
point as the cheaper models do not.

It’s true that a proper fridge works better, but a coolbox is a lot better than nothing, and costs a tenth of the price.

Anything to avoid giving Moto £1.50 for half a pint of slightly chilled water…

Vince

bump :wink:

I asked same question last summer,
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … highlight=

I ignored the good advice on getting a prper fridge and instead went for the cheapest option at the time and bought a cooler from Big W.

To be honest it does the job quite well as long as its not too hot inside the cab because as marcustandy said they only cool to so many degrees below the cab temp.

This year i think I’ll upgrade to the Halfords cooler as they chill to -20 outside temp and so should be ok for Uk use.
On my christmas list though is compressor, along with Tom Tom, Sat TV for truck CB radio, thats all when the massive payrise comes cos of the shortage of drivers and the wtd :confused: :unamused: :smiling_imp:

David5l:
On my christmas list though is compressor, along with Tom Tom, Sat TV for truck CB radio, thats all when the massive payrise comes cos of the shortage of drivers and the wtd :confused: :unamused: :smiling_imp:

porcine aviation #47 - you are clear for takeoff runway 4

porcine aviation #47 - you are clear for takeoff runway 4

does that mean there wont be a payrise :blush: :blush: :blush:

dam I’ll have to cancell the tom tom then

David5l:
thats all when the massive payrise comes cos of the shortage of drivers and the wtd

ROFPMSL as if it will :unamused:

Bear has a smug look … every one of our Daf SSC’s has a factory fitted fridge :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

It must be a cooler then :wink: :wink:

It’ll do for me :laughing:

i used to have a cooler and it was excellent i had it under the bunk in a confined space and when i stopped at deliverys or breaks i would open the locker door to let the air circulate it kept everything cold and i turned it off at night and in the morning it would still be cold if i was away all week i wouldn hessitate to buy another and if you get under £20 get it if you dont like it its only £20 nothing ventured nothing gained. i did used to leave it on all night and it was ok but just watch i did leave it on once then i had the night heater on then the telly and video and… you guessed next morning flat batterys so i never left on at night again.but as i said everything waas still cold in the morning.